BEST oil for 1994 Jeep XJ Cherokee

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 5w40 will probably work over the winter but if it's going to be that cold I'd lean towards the Ultra 5w30 you suggested. Being July I was not thinking winter oil.
smile.gif

While nitpicking about oil for the 4.0 is tremendous fun it is really hard to make a "wrong" choice for it.

Originally Posted By: 94JeepCherokee
...I'm afraid it started to wax up.

If you were afraid that were the case, look towards your PCV or driving habits and not the oil, not to mention that it isn't going to "wax up" at all.

Man, a HDEO such as Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 would be Near Perfect, year round for that 4.0, in my opinion. Chevron DELO LE 5w-40 is sold at Wallys for a bit cheaper than T6. I prefer to use it over the T6, as ISOSYN is Tops!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 would be Near Perfect.

or Mobil 1 0W-40

I would only use Mobil 1 0w-40 in a Low mileage, GutNTight Jeep 4.0 in the Coldest of temps.

Why?

I'd go PYB, but the last time I used it in a cold winter, it looked like [censored] and I'm afraid it started to wax up.

Absurd. These ideas just don't die do they.
I use PYB in -40 here in Saskatchewan and no signs of wax bud. Obviously you don't know what your looking at.

Originally Posted By: Garak
...I'm afraid it started to wax up.

If you were afraid that were the case, look towards your PCV or driving habits and not the oil, not to mention that it isn't going to "wax up" at all.

Isn't that truly absurd Garak. Staggering what people actually believe.

I thought the Pennzoil wax myth was dead and buried, except perhaps amongst the aged backyard mechanics. PYB does as well as almost any 5w-30, synthetic or conventional, in cold weather.

People generally give their oil choice way too much credit and way too much blame. Pennzoil will always wax up your engine, QS will always sludge it, Castrol will always provide an orange varnish, M1 will make it sound like a blender full of marbles, while PU will clean all those problems up in a hurry.

Winter failures or problems never have anything to do with a marginal electrical system, short tripping, or a PCV that's plugged. After all, every data sheet for conventional is a lie - the pour point of all conventionals is 32 F and they're all really straight grades.
wink.gif

Because I Believe Jeep 4.0s like a bit heavier oil at start up.

All oils are too heavy at startup. The M1 0W40 is probably heavier than a 5 or even a 10W30 at ambient temps.

Man, I would love to get a GM 60Degree 3.1 or 3.4 V6 in my 1984 Cherokee. Her 257,190 mile 2.8 just keeps goin, despite her current 28,?++ mile OCI of various ND30s going through her SuperTech(Vitnage 2007)3387A oil filter. Im sure this filter has been in complete Bypass mode since around 7,000miles(Fall2007), or so.

Last edited:
Man, I would love to get a GM 60Degree 3.1 or 3.4 V6 in my 1984 Cherokee. Her 257,190 mile 2.8 just keeps goin, despite her current 28,?++ mile OCI of various ND30s going through her SuperTech(Vitnage 2007)3387A oil filter. Im sure this filter has been in complete Bypass mode since around 7,000miles(Fall2007), or so.

Why are you running non-detergent?

GM sells a 3.4L crate motor for retrofit, but it's not worth the asking price, IMO ($1600 +/-). I considered a 3.4L out of a 93-95 F body for my buggy due to it's decent power and low weight and planned to mate it to a Muncie SM420. Ended up going a different route.

BTW, X2 on why would you run ND30 oil?

I use ND30 in the Interest of Science. See what it will do, how it will hold up, what it will do to the engine. Tribology. I guess Ive been a Tribologist since 2001 or so.

Yes, ZAEDOCK, I Drool over the thought of a 60 Degree GM 3.4V6 in my Cherokee. I have been planning this engine swap for 3 or 4 years, but Life keeps getting in the way, not to mention 6 other Cherokees. Currently reBuilding the 4.0 out of my 2000 that had a Severely Cracked 0331 for who knows how many miles before I found it.

Dont Worry, I wouldnt Ever use any ND30 in a Jeep 4.0, unless thats all I had. I have waaay to much respect for any year and condition Jeep 4.0 or 258 for that matter to do that. Now the 2.5 Four, actually any Jeep 4 banger, and any V6 put in a Jeep, I have No problem doing a complete oil change or just top off with ND30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back