Best Oil Change Ramps ??

So yesterday afternoon my next door neighbor came over, and we got to B.S.'ing. He noticed my new ramps and commented on how much he liked them. I told him I was a bit disappointed, because of my clearance issue with the front end of my Toyota. So we laid one out in front of the wheel. He said they would clear easily. I still wasn't so sure.

So I backed the car out into the driveway, and we set them in place. He watched the front end while I drove up SLOWLY, one rung at a time. At the closest point the front corner of the fascia cleared by almost 2". This was with no boards set in front. Just the ramps themselves.

With the front wheel drive it drove up effortlessly, right up on to the jack plates. With the jack plates in the full down position, I could get under the car..... Just barely. But not with much room to work. (Which is the height most of the solid ramps that are available would place the car).

Once I jacked them to the highest position and put the safety pins in place, I had plenty of room under the vehicle. So as it turned out they really work well. It's just difficult to see..... And scary to chance without an extra pair of eyes. (I don't trust getting women involved in dicey automotive projects. It's usually turns into a recipe for disaster.)

So when I do my next oil change they'll come in handy. They're a lot better than dragging heavy wood ramps around. Something else I'll end up tossing after they accumulate enough dust.

So you reviewed them poorly based on clearance...without verifying clearance? Nice.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted by tony1679
So you reviewed them poorly based on clearance...without verifying clearance? Nice.
thumbsup2.gif

It's not easy to verify. This isn't something that can be easily measured with the ramps sitting 3 feet ahead of the car. I didn't want to take the chance of damaging the vehicle by attempting it without an observer. Even with my neighbor watching it was close. 2" isn't much to play with.

But it doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't have reviewed the ramps poorly, based on clearance for a certain vehicle, when you didn't even know how much clearance there was. This is why reviews are irrelevant now...

But it doesn't change the fact that you shouldn't have reviewed the ramps poorly, based on clearance for a certain vehicle, when you didn't even know how much clearance there was. This is why reviews are irrelevant now...

I didn't, "review them poorly". They work as advertised with both my truck and Jeep. And I reported that. I simply said they looked to have very close clearance issues with one of my vehicles. As I said It's difficult, if not impossible to measure. And you have no way of knowing if they'll work before you buy them. This is true of ANY model ramp with these low riding sport sedans.

For one thing the car sits on a spring loaded suspension. Another is the ramps themselves have an uneven surface that contacts the tire, consisting of welded angle iron every few inches the tire drops in, and then climbs out of all the way up the ramp. If someone, or even myself proceeded too quickly, it could easily cause the car to bounce, and possibly contact the ramp, damaging the vehicle in the process.

Also, the front end is not parallel with the ramp as you're driving up it. The jack plate sits slightly higher than the rest of the ramp it fits into. Add all of this up and it's all but impossible to measure, and foolish to chance simply by looking at it. It requires someone to be closely watching, while someone else attempts to drive the vehicle. Even then it's dicey.

Any low clearance sport sedan would have the same problem I did. Some in fact may not clear. The fact mine barely did doesn't mean someone else's will. In fact, another Toyota Camry with different trim and smaller rims might not. Just as some other models might not. Or the same model with worn springs. So if you want to accuse me of being initially overly cautious, fine, I'm guilty as charged.

You simply cannot "measure" all of these variables. This is something the purchaser should be aware of before buying. I took a chance, and ended up getting lucky with my car. Someone else might not. All of this is worth knowing if someone is considering these model ramps.... Or most any other for that matter.

Originally Posted by billt460

I didn't, "review them poorly". They work as advertised with both my truck and Jeep. And I reported that. I simply said they looked to have very close clearance issues with one of my vehicles. As I said It's difficult, if not impossible to measure. And you have no way of knowing if they'll work before you buy them. This is true of ANY model ramp with these low riding sport sedans.

For one thing the car sits on a spring loaded suspension. Another is the ramps themselves have an uneven surface that contacts the tire, consisting of welded angle iron every few inches the tire drops in, and then climbs out of all the way up the ramp. If someone, or even myself proceeded too quickly, it could easily cause the car to bounce, and possibly contact the ramp, damaging the vehicle in the process.

Also, the front end is not parallel with the ramp as you're driving up it. The jack plate sits slightly higher than the rest of the ramp it fits into. Add all of this up and it's all but impossible to measure, and foolish to chance simply by looking at it. It requires someone to be closely watching, while someone else attempts to drive the vehicle. Even then it's dicey.

Any low clearance sport sedan would have the same problem I did. Some in fact may not clear. The fact mine barely did doesn't mean someone else's will. In fact, another Toyota Camry with different trim and smaller rims might not. Just as some other models might not. Or the same model with worn springs. So if you want to accuse me of being initially overly cautious, fine, I'm guilty as charged.

You simply cannot "measure" all of these variables. This is something the purchaser should be aware of before buying. I took a chance, and ended up getting lucky with my car. Someone else might not. All of this is worth knowing if someone is considering these model ramps.... Or most any other for that matter.

Not difficult or impossible at all:

https://www.raceramps.com/angleofapproachcalculator.aspx

I have the 56" 2 piece type. My 8 year old grand daughter loves to place them in position for me. Don't think she would like to lug wood types.

Last edited:

I didn't, "review them poorly". They work as advertised with both my truck and Jeep. And I reported that. I simply said they looked to have very close clearance issues with one of my vehicles.
Um...
So yesterday I did my Fall oil and filter changes on all 3 vehicles. The new ramps worked nice on both my truck, and my Jeep. But they were pretty much a bust for use with my Toyota Camry. They just don't offer enough drive on clearance for my comfort zone.

I probably could have gotten away with using them, but I wasn't comfortable doing so. (The clearances were just too tight for my liking). Besides, I would have had to incorporate a couple of 2" X 8"s, in order to get the initial clearance for the front end fascia that sticks so far out.
So seeing as I had to go and buy wood anyway, I just made up some ramps out of stacked up 2" X 8"s. That worked out well.

I didn't have to use the hydraulic jacks, because the ramps themselves were high enough to easily get under both vehicles. But If I had to do some work underneath, the jacks will provide whatever clearance I'll ever need.

Anyway, with hindsight always being 20/20, I probably wouldn't have bought them, knowing what I know now. I can't fault the ramps themselves, because I can all but guarantee I would have run into the same problem with any of the other models. And as I said, the one's that would have cleared, would not have provided the height I would need to get under the thing. At least now I've got a big enough garage to store them in without getting in the way. Live and learn.
Lots of negative remarks (and assumptions). Anyway...

As I said It's difficult, if not impossible to measure. And you have no way of knowing if they'll work before you buy them. This is true of ANY model ramp with these low riding sport sedans.
See above post.

For one thing the car sits on a spring loaded suspension.[Yeah, most cars do...?] Another is the ramps themselves have an uneven surface that contacts the tire, consisting of welded angle iron every few inches the tire drops in, and then climbs out of all the way up the ramp. If someone, or even myself proceeded too quickly, it could easily cause the car to bounce, and possibly contact the ramp, damaging the vehicle in the process.[You knew this before buying...]

It's not rocket science. It clears or it doesn't. Takes two people the first time, then you know forever. Why would you call it "a bust" if you didnt even truly check?
21.gif

Sure

You simply cannot "measure" all of these variables. This is something the purchaser should be aware of before buying. I took a chance, and ended up getting lucky with my car. Someone else might not. [Welcome to the real world, that's how it works.] All of this is worth knowing if someone is considering these model ramps.... Or any other for that matter. [What exactly did you make known? Disliking the almost not enough clearance that actually ended up being enough clearance?
21.gif
]

I think I can rest my case... Write a review AFTER *properly* evaluating.

Not sure if I posted in this before but I sure like my Rhino ramps. My wife got me two sets of the heavy duty ones. I used them for all the vehicles in my sig. They did a great job holding up the heavy front end of my 3500.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Thanks for correcting your post based on better information.
Of course I have never been mistaken... Ha!

Your welcome. Not a problem.

I have 2 sets of Rhino ramps and like them but seldom use them. I can do oil changes on both vehicles with wheels on the ground. For the Crosstrek I put on a Fumoto valve so I just need to feel, not see.

For brakes I just use a jack and jack stand.

Back