Best oil filter wrench or sockets?

If you installed the oil filter handtight, you can remove the oil filter without the oil filter wrench. With the wrench it's even easier without any effort at all. I have a strong feeling you removed it on the opposite direction>>righty tighty
I tried loosening with my hands first. Standing over the filter looking down, the direction to remove the filter is turning the ratchet clockwise. To eliminate all confusion, I always make sure the selector on the ratchet is in the correct position and verify by trying to turn the socket by hand. Zero chance of operator error that way.

I tried loosening with my hands first. Standing over the filter looking down, the direction to remove the filter is turning the ratchet clockwise. To eliminate all confusion, I always make sure the selector on the ratchet is in the correct position and verify by trying to turn the socket by hand. Zero chance of operator error that way.
um are you sure you are turning it the correct way?? ,seems like you described you are tighting it,,also use a lisle adjustable all metal jaw filter wrench, sorry i cant send photo of one,they work real good as they clamp on the end in multiple places look up Lisle filter wrench at Advance Auto,,,part 63250 ,,,cost is $16.99,,good luck

Last edited:
um are you sure you are turning it the correct way?? ,seems like you described you are tighting it,,also use a lisle adjustable all metal jaw filter wrench, sorry i cant send photo of one,they work real good as they clamp on the end in multiple places look up Lisle filter wrench at Advance Auto,,,part 63250 ,,,cost is $16.99,,good luck
Yes, clockwise will tighten the filter.

@monster1 - A picture of the mount would help. If the filter is hanging below the mount, and you’re looking down, then, yes, clockwise, from your view, will be loosening the filter. I think folks are picturing something different than you’re describing.

@monster1 - A picture of the mount would help. If the filter is hanging below the mount, and you’re looking down, then, yes, clockwise, from your view, will be loosening the filter. I think folks are picturing something different than you’re describing.
Agreed, but then that would be difficult or at least awkward to attach a cap and ratchet.

You said it better than me. But yes, that's exactly right.

How difficult would it be to remove the lines and the remote mount, and put the head of the filter mount in a vise?
Not difficult at all. Problem is that I'm in an RV park and don't have access to a vise currently. Plus, leaving it mounted to the exhaust riser on the engine gives me a better chance (hopefully) that I don't crack or split the housing. It's an expensive replacement at 350 dollars.

Reactions: D60
I noticed my local WM sells some of the one piece alloy cup sockets. Although perhaps not large enough for your application

The ones that Walmart used to sell, plastic end caps with the 3/8" drive, were always my favorites. For 10+ years, our 2 cars (GM and Lexus) used the same one.

Now, they both need a different one. I had bought a metal end cap wrench from Auto Zone because I could try it out in the store. First, it fit the Lexus with M1. Now, it also fits the WIX for the GM. I don't like this one as much but it works.

I bet someone out there knows why some new filters have more flutes.

I think OP needs 93mm x 15 flute and yeah, it looks like WM likely doesn't have this in a quality one piece unit -- however stock varies regionally. They mostly target the smaller import filters like 63/64mm

I still maintain you have a fighting chance with a good cup socket, or have the stamped steel repaired. I also don't like stamped steel because it can spread, but we're gonna hope it won't spread enough if repaired.

He was a mechanic by trade so he did what he had to do to get the job done. He sounds like a a guy I would like to have known.
Greg was known as the only sober mechanic in Santa Cruz, CA. He was also the go-to guy for the 4 cylinder 912 Porsches and all the bathtubs. He also thought his little brother's money was his money.
He built the 400 engine for my Fire Chicken, balanced the crank, rods, etc. It was a real smoothie.
Got cancer and died at 44. Left me his hand tools; I have no idea how to use his engine building stuff.

• Wow
Reactions: D60
That is too bad, he was a young guy. A lot of the guys I knew and were friends with when I was younger have died with drugs and alcohol, suicide and crashes. Happy I am still around or no one would turn the light off.

I'm a big fan of the Jass filter wrenches.

They're made for the two common types of filter for the MX5 but seem to work fine for each honda/toyota I've got too.

Get this Lisle 63250 jaw wrench in the correct size (wide range) for your filter. I guarantee that it will remove ANY stuck on filter that is not physically welded to the housing.

1710756730725.jpg

Welp. Did a thing today. I guess I either drill the bracket out and sandwich it between two pieces of bar stock, buy a universal side mount and build a bracket to mount on the exhaust riser, or pay 325 bucks for a new OEM part.

20240319_174519.jpg

Screenshot_20240319_192610_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back