How to jack car so it is level for a CVT transmisison oil change?

Extraction pump

Extremely handy in times like this, most will have a measurement on the side for how much was removed. Put that much new fluid in, I really can't praise how simple it is to pump these 10 or so times every 3-4 mins as it drains. You can find them for pretty cheap online paid about $30 for mine on sale.

I have a free app on my phone that shows a bubble level and digital readout of X and Y axis showing how much it is off. Took my car to a very level location and checked the location with a big carpenters level. Put the phone on the center console and noted the reading. When doing cvt I jack it and adjust to get that same reading.

Extraction pump

Extremely handy in times like this, most will have a measurement on the side for how much was removed. Put that much new fluid in, I really can't praise how simple it is to pump these 10 or so times every 3-4 mins as it drains. You can find them for pretty cheap online paid about $30 for mine on sale.

You should be removing the drain bolt to clean the magnet so it is not saturated with the fine metal it grabs onto, so it is clean to keep more metal out of the fluid in the future.

Reactions: D60
You should be removing the drain bolt to clean the magnet so it is not saturated with the fine metal it grabs onto, so it is clean to keep more metal out of the fluid in the future.
Agreed, but I find the 1st drain gets the most metal; subsequent services get far less. I service Hondas at 25K intervals and pull the plug every 2nd or 3rd service. Most other cars that I deal with do not have a magnetized drain plug.

But your way is probably the best.

For your Honda, you don't have to worry about that :)

Just drive it up on ramps, like you'd do for an oil change, do it cold, drain it, measure how much came out, then refill with the same amount.

This is OK only if you know that you started out with the correct amount of fluid. It's hard to know if you don't have a dipstick.

...I've then cracked the CVT check bolt and 400 mL came out. So originally I removed 4.8L from the CTV, then added 4529 mL, then drained 400 mL via drain bolt. So after everything I've readded 4129 mL after removing 4.8L. Is it possible I've been driving my 2017 civic with an extra 700 mL of CVT oil without any issue for 160K km?

Nearly 3/4 of a quart does seem like a lot of extra to us BITOGers, but like you say, it would have reared it's ugly head before 160kms if it was a problem. I believe for the most part we sweat this kind of thing too much. Obviously if it was 2-3quarts over full, it would be a mess, but under a quart is probably just fine for the vast majority of transmissions.

Back