Plastic Car Ramps Question

The Tony Dow thread has me thinking. This seems like when one of Beaver's "friends" would talk him into doing something he knew better than doing.

Beaver: I don't know, Larry. I might get a killed or clobbered.

Larry: Nothin's gonna happen. Are you chicken or somethin'?

This is why:

RWD vehicles don’t have a way to lock the front wheels. Lift a car up and it moves a bit. I stopped before meeting the guy in the video’s fate, but I could see the car shifting backwards on the ramps. So I stopped.

Jack was able to roll, I put them on a smooth sheet of wood to let them roll easier than asphalt or concrete.

I can see the concern with that. I use a small set of angled wheel stops behind the front wheels when I put the rear up on ramps and so far have been okay. I may have to re-evaluate it though. I don't use the four ramp method that often.

That's what happens when the jack doesn't roll forward as it's lifting. It can happen even when the car is on proper jack stands.

Just did my 2004 Sienna recently, used the 16,000 lbs under the front, 12,000 rear, strained a bit but made the climb. I initially was going to jack up the rear but when I found the ramp fit height-wise in front of the rear tire I went for it. Advantage of only paying $1500 for a vehicle is I could get over small and medium mishaps easier, though that doesn't mean I intentionally mishap, and even a $100 dollars is still a lot of money to me...

One trick for not slipping is to rock the vehicle back and wedge the end of the ramp under the tire as Rhino Ramps has the rubber stopper to help adhere in place, though not always effective especially in the cold.

I can see the concern with that. I use a small set of angled wheel stops behind the front wheels when I put the rear up on ramps and so far have been okay. I may have to re-evaluate it though. I don't use the four ramp method that often.
I was thinking, maybe for four wheels up, use steer ramps in the front and bolt blocks of wood through the grating. Like chocks. Still essential that the wheels stay in the nest.

Reactions: wtd
That's what happens when the jack doesn't roll forward as it's lifting. It can happen even when the car is on proper jack stands.
My car never rolled off, but my jack was rolling forwards. I had it on a smooth board to ensure that. Still moved backwards which is what made me stop.

The 2-piece 67" Race Ramps I have came with their wheel chocks. The 67" ramps have a longer landing area. I'm able the place them behind the front wheels when jacking the rear. Works well.

Reactions: wtd
This is why:

RWD vehicles don’t have a way to lock the front wheels. Lift a car up and it moves a bit. I stopped before meeting the guy in the video’s fate, but I could see the car shifting backwards on the ramps. So I stopped.

Jack was able to roll, I put them on a smooth sheet of wood to let them roll easier than asphalt or concrete.

Thank you.

Here is a metal ramp where I bought a can of truck bed coating and sprayed it on the ramp as a traction aid. I also wrapped the cross member with electrical tape to avoid cuts while picking it up. The ramp still skids on a smooth garage floor. I might have to use one of the ideas out there to get up the ramps. The most trustworthy of all ramps IMHO are Pine-O’s. ( home made wooden ramps).

1E6448EA-C764-4A63-A440-61DDEB6D28F6.jpeg

Back