Best engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those experienced BITOGers who pay attention to UOAs, which engines tend to show the lowest wear after break in?? In other words, "run like a sewing machine"?

For example, I've seen many excellent UOAs on Toyota's 4.7L V8 found in various Lexus (GX470, LX470) and Toyota (4Runner, Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia) models.

In particular, which engines have demonstrated excellent engine wear from the following makers:

Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Mazda
Subaru

BMW
Mercedes
Audi
VW

Thanks!

If all you are using is UOA to show how well something "wears" you are not getting enough info to make a choice.

I wonder how good the UOA is on a crown vic police interceptor that idles or drives for hours on end? It likely sucks. But that engine usually ends up putting in 400K miles after its third life as a taxi.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee
If all you are using is UOA to show how well something "wears" you are not getting enough info to make a choice.

I wonder how good the UOA is on a crown vic police interceptor that idles or drives for hours on end? It likely sucks. But that engine usually ends up putting in 400K miles after its third life as a taxi.

thumbsup2.gif

I have to agree on that one as well. GM 3800`s always show a ton of wear metals in UOA`s,but those engines literally run forever.

Originally Posted By: aztec12
I would say JEEP old 4.0 inline 6 and fords 4.6 engine v-8

highly agree with the jeep 4.0, great engine.

We could extend this thread into: What stock engine would you chose from a low milage junk yard vehicle to drop AS IS into another application such as powering a boat or large electric generator, or simply put it in another vehicle?

Originally Posted By: CougarRed
For those experienced BITOGers who pay attention to UOAs, which engines tend to show the lowest wear after break in?? In other words, "run like a sewing machine"?

For example, I've seen many excellent UOAs on Toyota's 4.7L V8 found in various Lexus (GX470, LX470) and Toyota (4Runner, Tundra, Land Cruiser, Sequoia) models.

In particular, which engines have demonstrated excellent engine wear from the following makers:

Toyota
Honda
Nissan
Mazda
Subaru

BMW
Mercedes
Audi
VW

Thanks!

I noticed you didn't put in ANY U.S. auto makers...

This thread comes up from time to time.

Best engines I've ever owned. Top of the list:

1. Ford 4.9L I6 IMO the best engine ever made.
2. Ford 3.0L V6
3. Ford 302 V8
4. Chevy 250 I6
5. Chevy 350 V8

the original post here is an example of too much reliance on oil analysis data.

And NOTHING Hyundai makes has been around long enough to be called 'bulletproof'.

When someone has run a new car/truck for 400k miles across less than 6 years then they can call it bulletproof.

Originally Posted By: milwaukee

I had a 1986 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 302 V8 for 11 years, prior to getting my Toyota 4 Runner.

I put over 150K on that car and the engine ran fine. The problem was everything else Major and Minor fell apart and needed to be replaced. After that lesson, I went to the Toyota and have surprised beyond my wildest dreams at the quality and durability of Toyota. It's a shame that America fell down when it came to producing autos with the planned obsolescence and junk material.

Glad you have had good luck with your Toyota, I know many folks have. However I would submit, that not all American autos are the "junk" that some may claim. My '88 Olds Cutlass for example has had no "repairs" but for normal maint. Brakes, struts, and an alternator in almost 23 years. My last Foreign car was aan '86 VW Golf, AKA "The Goof". After that, I will never buy another Volkswagon again sadly.

I've seen several Ford 3.0L and GM 3.8L engines with well over 250,000 miles on them. The rust got to the body before the engine showed any signs of trouble.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

And NOTHING Hyundai makes has been around long enough to be called 'bulletproof'.

When someone has run a new car/truck for 400k miles across less than 6 years then they can call it bulletproof.

As for the first paragraph, I agree 110%. That's one of the valuable lessons I've taken away from my time here.

As for the second and third paragraphs, I would respectfully suggest that they are effectively inconsistent with one another. Although Hyundai is still perceived by many as a "new kid on the block," in reality, they've been around since the mid-80s. Back around 88-89, I knew a girl who drove a red Hyundai of some flavor that already had fading paint. In 1988.

Anyway, I'd guess that there are a lot of Hyundais out there that would qualify for "bullet-proof" designation, as you describe it.

Now, quite frankly, I've never been a fan of Hyundai's offerings, until perhaps their very latest, so I've never paid much attention. Again, I do think that there are plenty of Hyundais out there that would meet your definition of "bulletproof".

Another disjointed thought, which just occurred to me: in the early 90s when I was back in law school, I belonged to a USMC reserve unit in Orlando. My CO, a fellow Captain, had another Hyundai that got utterly raped in a bad hail storm. Every square inch of surface with upper exposure looked like Hannibal Lechter had taken a ball peen hammer to it. It was that bad. USAA totalled it, but let him keep it with a salvage title. Car ran for many more years as his commuter-beater, flawlessly. I haven't seen Jeff in years, but I used to often kid him that merely being seen is such a monstrosity constituted per se "conduct unbecoming an officer". See Article 133, Uniform Code of Military Justice (UCMJ)...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

If you did your research, you wouldn't have posted that...The Hyundai 2.0L Beta has extremely strong internal parts.

Quote:

Or well taken care of?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back