Best battery for cold weather

That battery is a group size 34R, not 24F.
HUh! Wow...that fit in my car with cradle? metal bracket on the top. That was the last one I had in my car. I have to go back to the NAPA guy and
get this straightened out....
Any thoughts on how/why that fit?

Here is the parts number from my receipt from the dealership...
31500-TK8-A2100M BAT (GR24F/630C)
Well I just looked that up and it is a Clarios/Johnson Control....for sure that is getting replaced! I only put that Honda battery in there because I was at the dealership and they said my battery was very low...so in a desperation, I told them to replace it.

I do realize that is what Honda has spec, for my vehicle. I just like the security of having higher CCA in 10 degree weather with a zero degree wind chill when my car is parked outside at work. At home it is in a garage, being a woman i don’t want to deal with battery issues.
Wind chill is a pretend feels like deal on exposed skin. The temp is the temp. A higher cca will not make any difference until the battery is older and cold.

• Helpful
Reactions: rcs
Nope. The temperature is the temperature is the temperature.

Windchill only refers to the rate of heat loss. It means "same rate of heat loss as xxx degrees, with no wind."
It has nothing to do with heat loss rate. Its a pretend number from tv weather idiots that exposed skin the temp feels lower. Batteries dont have skin.. or exposed skin.

Random feedback:

Advance Auto shows either 24F or 35 as appropriate battery sizes.

15 years ago, batteries used to be more generic. Walmart sold one, the DT-3N, that had both top and side terminals. It may have also had a removable plastic spacer underneath so that it fit a particular hold-down bracket. Ensure any battery you're looking at doesn't have this spacer.

You have a 1.2 kilowatt starter motor. At 9 volts (where batteries dip to during starting) that only draws 133 amps. Honda is already giving you a nice fudge factor with 550 CCA. And take note that it can maintain 550 amps for thirty seconds of cranking.

Walmart batteries vary by region, but the first two characters of the serial number tell the manufacturer. EP supplies my region, "East Penn (Deka.)" Exide is the worst of the big makers, so if you liked a new Exide, you'll like anything. Walmart.com will not tell you who supplies your local store, nor will it show all available options or appropriate pricing.

Finally the "Honda" branded battery you'd get at a US dealer is not going to be the same as the OE factory puts in but rather a "service replacement."
Finally the "Honda" branded battery you'd get at a US dealer is not going to be the same as the OE factory puts in but rather a "service replacement."
Well that is interesting....so the battery that the dealership put in...is "who knows" what kind of replacement...?

Here is the parts number from my receipt from the dealership...
31500-TK8-A2100M BAT (GR24F/630C)
OK, a group size 24F.
East Penn manufactures a flooded 24F battery that is rated at 725CCA. It will be available under different names, depending on where you buy it. "Deka Ultimate" is East Penn's retail brand name for this battery.

The group 34R battery is rated at 800CCA. It is 1" shorter than the 24F, 1/8" wider, and the same length as 24F.

Last edited:
Well I just looked that up and it is a Clarios/Johnson Control....for sure that is getting replaced! I only put that Honda battery in there because I was at the dealership and they said my battery was very low...so in a desperation, I told them to replace it.
So did you notice any performance problems with the battery before you went in on an unrelated matter?

How old was the battery you just replaced?

It sounds like you're stuck with the Honda battery you just bought for as long as it treats you well.

HUh! Wow...that fit in my car with cradle? metal bracket on the top. That was the last one I had in my car. I have to go back to the NAPA guy and
get this straightened out....
Any thoughts on how/why that fit?
The Deka group 34R battery is rated at 800CCA. It is 1" shorter than the 24F, 1/8" wider, and the same length as 24F.

Last edited:
So did you notice any performance problems with the battery before you went in on an unrelated matter?

How old was the battery you just replaced?

It sounds like you're stuck with the Honda battery you just bought for as long as it treats you well.
So I purchased my SUV in 2015 and had the battery replaced in January 2018. The Honda battery was replaced with a NAPA Legend Premium. Which they don't make anymore for my car.
Now here we are in 2022,...almost 4 years later and the NAPA battery was starting to go (longer cranking to get the car started).

The Deka group 34R battery is rated at 800CCA. It is 1" shorter than the 24F, 1/8" longer, and the same width as 24F.
So with the Honda battery info I gave you I looked that up and it is 12.4 x 12.6 x 12.2...so it is actually larger..than the Deka.
BUT...when I looked up that Honda battery it did not look like mine,...it was blue in the picture and mine is black...not sure if that makes a difference?

So whether I pick the 24F or the 34R...hoping I can find where to purchase either one...is that going to be a problem fitting into my battery cradle?
Obviuosly, I don't want it bouncing around,..yikes!

Last edited:
So with the Honda battery info I gave you I looked that up and it is 12.4 x 12.6 x 12.2...so it is actually larger..than the Deka.
BUT...when I looked up that Honda battery it did not look like mine,...it was blue in the picture and mine is black...not sure if that makes a difference?

So whether I pick the 24F or the 34R...hopeing I can find where to purchase either one...is that going to be a problem fitting into my battery cradle?
Obviuosly, I don't want it bouncing around,..yikes!
Those dimensions make no sense. A 24F battery has BCI dimensions of 10 3/4"L x 6 13/16"W x 9"H
If the NAPA 34R fit well in your Honda, the Deka 34R should also fit well.

Last edited:
Those dimensions make no sense. A 24F battery has BCI dimensions of 10 3/4"L x 6 13/16"W x 9"H
If the NAPA 34R fit well in your Honda, the Deka 34R should also fit well.
I agree,...I was shocked by those dimensions also...of the Honda battery I saw online...
Thanks so very much for everything...I am going to make a decision....between both...I would like to try the Deka...I just have to find a supplier for the Deka...

It has nothing to do with heat loss rate. Its a pretend number from tv weather idiots that exposed skin the temp feels lower. Batteries dont have skin.. or exposed skin.
Yes it's a made up number. It uses a simplistic concept to represent a more complex situation. But it is useful.

It represents the rate of cooling for the current conditions (temperature plus wind) with a single temperature (the temperature without wind).

And yes it is intended to represent the rate of cooling of exposed skin. But it applies just as well to other things, like a battery in the wind. Everything cools more rapidly if there is a wind. But nothing cools below the actual temperature.

Back