Best battery for cold weather

Your car uses a 24F battery. That is the "Group size" and the dimensions are pretty standardized. I'm quite certain it won't vary by 1" taller so you must not be looking at a 24F. You can also fit a 35 battery in there as it's very close in size, but smaller. It's definitely more common than a 24F nowadays. A lot of automakers switched from a 24F to a 35 because of weight savings (and in turn, higher fuel economy).

Sounds like that NAPA location is trying to sell you what they have in stock vs what's spec'd for your car.
Yes Hall my battery is a 24F. I apologize for not being clear about that In my first post.
the problem is they don’t sell a 24F anymore in the NAPA Legend Primium. The one the do have is another code but is is 1 inch taller.
thanks for the info, I did not know there was a switch from one size to the other.
Having a 2015 Pilot I was told what grouping it was. NAPA wasnt being pushy, they just looked at my engine and said I could probably fit the new one that is 1 inch taller, but I was worried about that.
I will also look at other East Penn batteries

Your car uses a 24F battery. That is the "Group size" and the dimensions are pretty standardized. I'm quite certain it won't vary by 1" taller so you must not be looking at a 24F. You can also fit a 35 battery in there as it's very close in size, but smaller. It's definitely more common than a 24F nowadays. A lot of automakers switched from a 24F to a 35 because of weight savings (and in turn, higher fuel economy).

Sounds like that NAPA location is trying to sell you what they have in stock vs what's spec'd for your car.

This. All 24F batteries should be the same size.

Yes Hall my battery is a 24F. I apologize for not being clear about that In my first post.
the problem is they don’t sell a 24F anymore in the NAPA Legend Primium. The one the do have is another code but is is 1 inch taller.
thanks for the info, I did not know there was a switch from one size to the other.
Having a 2015 Pilot I was told what grouping it was. NAPA wasnt being pushy, they just looked at my engine and said I could probably fit the new one that is 1 inch taller, but I was worried about that.
I will also look at other East Penn batteries

This makes a difference!

The 24F Premium is listed out of stock :(

But the regular Napa Legend 24F is still a good choice :)

This. All 24F batteries should be the same size.

This makes a difference!

The 24F Premium is listed out of stock :(

But the regular Napa Legend 24F is still a good choice :)
Yes the Premium is out of stock, they don’t sell it anymore,..but thank you I will look at the plain Legend👍
Bummer it is only rated for 24 months, the Premium was rated for 36 months and actually lasted me 48 months 👍

My wife's Camry's orig battery 24F was only rated for 480 CCA. If it was MY Camry, I would be still using it. 7 yrs old. 24 is the size F means front? All 24Fs are the same size, A higher rated 24f has more plates (thinner?) anyway within the same volume box. I think this is why a 480CCA rated battery lasts longer than one rated 725 CCA BTW the battery was replaced with a 725 CCA Maxxlife. its an Interstate hecho en Mexico.with a 3yr warranty, 100$ In the wife's car, I try to keep it as incident free as possible. I 'll experiment with my own car :cool:

I live about 1.5 hour directly west of rcs. My car sits outdoors 24/7. I chose the smaller of 2 CCA options for my car because my small OEM battery was still working at 9 years. I just replaced it with the same smaller CCA proactive to avoid a winter breakdown.

DEKA lists three 24F batteries: 550CCA, 640CCA, and 725CCA. They claim 550 is OEM.

I am in the camp that the 725 will have more, but thinner plates crammed in and will fail sooner vs. the 640. In other terms, bigger is not always better with batteries. Can someone explain in what climate/situation the 725 is the better choice. If 550 was OEM, personally I would not go bigger than the 640. Southern Michigan is not brutal in my opinion and my experience with a smaller battery has been positive.

While I prefer DEKA over Johnson Controls, I am not sure I would debate brand choice if availability was an issue.

Also, didn't Odysee Optimum batteries have quality control issues not too long ago?

Edited major mistake! Batteries Plus (Duracell) and Oreilly are DEKA.........needs confirmation.

Last edited:
Reactions: rcs
the napa the legend premium batteries are the highest rated flooded batteries tested by consumer reports. they have better tests reports than both red and yellow top optima batteries.

My wife's Camry's orig battery 24F was only rated for 480 CCA. If it was MY Camry, I would be still using it. 7 yrs old. 24 is the size F means front? All 24Fs are the same size, A higher rated 24f has more plates (thinner?) anyway within the same volume box. I think this is why a 480CCA rated battery lasts longer than one rated 725 CCA BTW the battery was replaced with a 725 CCA Maxxlife. its an Interstate hecho en Mexico.with a 3yr warranty, 100$ In the wife's car, I try to keep it as incident free as possible. I 'll experiment with my own car :cool:
Thanks Andy. It really is interesting that the lower rated ones last longer than the higher CCA ones. I understand the idea of the plates, yet it doesn’t makes sense.

the napa the legend premium batteries are the highest rated flooded batteries tested by consumer reports. they have better tests reports than both red and yellow top optima batteries.
Agree ! I want one but they don’t sell them anymore to fit my car😓
when I had that premium Napa legend in my car it started like a jet engine, did not double crank, turn the key and it zoomed !

I live about 1.5 hour directly west of rcs. My car sits outdoors 24/7. I chose the smaller of 2 CCA options for my car because my small OEM battery was still working at 9 years. I just replaced it with the same smaller CCA proactive to avoid a winter breakdown.

DEKA lists three 24F batteries: 550CCA, 640CCA, and 725CCA. They claim 550 is OEM.

I am in the camp that the 725 will have more, but thinner plates crammed in and will fail sooner vs. the 640. In other terms, bigger is not always better with batteries. Can someone explain in what climate/situation the 725 is the better choice. If 550 was OEM, personally I would not go bigger than the 640. Southern Michigan is not brutal in my opinion and my experience with a smaller battery has been positive.

While I prefer DEKA over Johnson Controls, I am not sure I would debate brand choice if availability was an issue.

Also, didn't Odysee batteries have quality control issues not too long ago?
Yes agree, and also Honda OEM is supposedly made by Johnson Controls. I agree
East Penn/Deka is superior.
I will also await a response on your questions….🤔
I do know the yellow top optima are not good anymore , made south of the border and the quality has decreased.

One car only gets driven once every other week and it is always plugged in. Otherwise the cold really decreases the lifespan of the battery. I had an Interstate battery last over 8 years with a Deltran Battery Maintainer.
cold doesnt decrease a batteries lifespan. It slows down chemical reactions in the battery providing a longer lifespan..
why Phoenix batteries seem to last about 4 years max.

Heating blanket for my battery,…hmmm nice…but what do I do when I am at work and it is sitting in the cold for 8 to 12 hours…no help then
In the temps you described ( 10 F ), a battery that meets your CCA specs will be fine.

I typically buy the biggest battery that fits, with the lowest CCA that meets my cars requirement. To get higher CCA in the same size battery means you have more, but thinner plates. I get the best battery life from the bigger , lower CCA batteries.

+1 for AGM from costco

Screen Shot 2022-11-05 at 11.19.16 PM.jpg

24 is the size F means front? All 24Fs are the same size
Dimensionally, a 24 and 24F are the same. The "F" refers to the terminal layout.

Guys, The battery division of Johnson Controls was bought out and rebranded as Clarios. Don’t sound like old men. Johnson Controls does not make batteries any more. This happened almost four years ago.
No one has been confused about references to Johnson Controls or JCI. Everyone here knows.

Can someone explain in what climate/situation the 725 is the better choice.
Bigger (more) is always "better", right ? That's the deciding factor for 90% of people.

Edited major mistake! Batteries Plus (Duracell) and Oreilly are DEKA.........needs confirmation.
Just for clarity, DEKA is East Penn's "brand" name for their direct-sales batteries. You can't buy a battery branded "East Penn". And yes, they make batteries for many retailers.

Best battery is a properly sized, fully charged one . Brands are not going to matter. They are designed to work in cold temperatures.

• Helpful
Back