Best battery for cold weather

Guys, The battery division of Johnson Controls was bought out and rebranded as Clarios. Don’t sound like old men. Johnson Controls does not make batteries any more. This happened almost four years ago.
Thanks for that info. I was wondering why I kept reading about the name Clarios, I had never heard of them.

In the temps you described ( 10 F ), a battery that meets your CCA specs will be fine.

I typically buy the biggest battery that fits, with the lowest CCA that meets my cars requirement. To get higher CCA in the same size battery means you have more, but thinner plates. I get the best battery life from the bigger , lower CCA batteries.
I am beggining to understand that concept, in some ways. It is hard for me because I am in the "camp" of "bigger is better",...sometimes not.
I just know when I had the higher CCA battery my car started faster,..meaning it turned over quicker. I do have alot of electronics in this car.
It is the 2015 Pilot Touring . So even though I don't use entertainment portion, it is still there.

Dimensionally, a 24 and 24F are the same. The "F" refers to the terminal layout.

No one has been confused about references to Johnson Controls or JCI. Everyone here knows.

Bigger (more) is always "better", right ? That's the deciding factor for 90% of people.

Just for clarity, DEKA is East Penn's "brand" name for their direct-sales batteries. You can't buy a battery branded "East Penn". And yes, they make batteries for many retailers.
That is something I am going to research, what batteries for retailers that they make,..meaning...East Penn

Dimensionally, a 24 and 24F are the same. The "F" refers to the terminal layout.

No one has been confused about references to Johnson Controls or JCI. Everyone here knows.

Bigger (more) is always "better", right ? That's the deciding factor for 90% of people.

Just for clarity, DEKA is East Penn's "brand" name for their direct-sales batteries. You can't buy a battery branded "East Penn". And yes, they make batteries for many retailers.
Regarding the terminal layout, I am not mechanically inclined but I would think that would be important.

LOL, decisions for "our type" were so much easier decades ago before the Internet. AGM? Less is more? DEKA/EastPenn/Johnson Controls/Clarios/Odysee/Vartos/Exide? Wind Chill????? Sams Club/Costco???

Just to poke the bear - Sam's Club has the "bigger/better" East Penn 725CCA on sale for the ridiculous low price of $109. https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-automotive-battery-group-size-24f/prod3590223?xid=plp_product_1

Other East Penn vendors are NAPA, Oreilly's, and Batteries Plus (Duracell), BatteriesShack. May vary by region. Also of importance - buy a battery that is "fresh" - not sitting on the shelf for more than 4 months +/-.

rcs - now that you dared to ask for opinions, please share with us where your brain is on this? From a fellow BITOGer with OCPD.

Last edited:
Go with group size 35 with a higher CCA. Back in 06/09/2012, I switched from a 51R to 35 in my 08 Accord. I still have that 35 DieHard Platinum Battery - Group Size 35 50 lbs L 9.5in, H 9.8in, 850 CCA. Model# P-5. Over 10 years old and still going strong.

.....They carry one that is 1 inch taller. I am not sure about the rest of the size if it will fit in my battery corner.
I cannot modify anything myself and am sure the dealership won’t either.
In your case, do not buy a battery that is 1" taller than your OEM size.
Battery buying does not have to be complicated.
For best cold weather performance, buy a battery with a high CCA rating.
Buy the OEM size.
East Penn is a good manufacturer.
If your OEM battery was a flooded battery, buy a new flooded battery.
If your OEM battery was an AGM battery, buy a new AGM battery.
If your OEM battery was a flooded battery, and you want to buy an AGM battery, make sure your vehicle's charging voltage is compatible with the AGM battery.

Isn't the NAPA Legend Premium 24F battery you already own an AGM battery ? 710CCA.

Ok...now that you had my curiosity going...I looked in my car file box and the NAPA Legend I purchased in 2018 was part number 8434R.
And that is the one they don't make anymore. No I had to replace that one just recently and put an OEM Honda battery from the dealership

LOL, decisions for "our type" were so much easier decades ago before the Internet. AGM? Less is more? DEKA/EastPenn/Johnson Controls/Clarios/Odysee/Vartos/Exide? Wind Chill????? Sams Club/Costco???

Just to poke the bear - Sam's Club has the "bigger/better" East Penn 725CCA on sale for the ridiculous low price of $109. https://www.samsclub.com/p/duracell-automotive-battery-group-size-24f/prod3590223?xid=plp_product_1

Other East Penn vendors are NAPA, Oreilly's, and Batteries Plus (Duracell), BatteriesShack. May vary by region. Also of importance - buy a battery that is "fresh" - not sitting on the shelf for more than 4 months +/-.

rcs - now that you dared to ask for opinions, please share with us where your brain is on this? From a fellow BITOGer with OCPD.
Stuck in Neutral,...analysis paralysis... LOL:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:...but as soon as I make a decision I will let everyone know...

In your case, do not buy a battery that is 1" taller than your OEM size.
Battery buying does not have to be complicated.
Buy the OEM size.
If your OEM battery was a flooded battery, buy a new flooded battery.
If your OEM battery was an AGM battery, buy a new AGM battery.
If your OEM battery was a flooded battery, and you want to buy an AGM battery, make sure your vehicle's charging voltage is compatible with the AGM battery.
Thanks SubLGT,...that was my gut instinct not to go with that 1 inch taller battery. Yes my OEM Honda PIlot battery was flooded, and I will stay with that.

Random feedback:

Advance Auto shows either 24F or 35 as appropriate battery sizes.

15 years ago, batteries used to be more generic. Walmart sold one, the DT-3N, that had both top and side terminals. It may have also had a removable plastic spacer underneath so that it fit a particular hold-down bracket. Ensure any battery you're looking at doesn't have this spacer.

You have a 1.2 kilowatt starter motor. At 9 volts (where batteries dip to during starting) that only draws 133 amps. Honda is already giving you a nice fudge factor with 550 CCA. And take note that it can maintain 550 amps for thirty seconds of cranking.

Walmart batteries vary by region, but the first two characters of the serial number tell the manufacturer. EP supplies my region, "East Penn (Deka.)" Exide is the worst of the big makers, so if you liked a new Exide, you'll like anything. Walmart.com will not tell you who supplies your local store, nor will it show all available options or appropriate pricing.

Finally the "Honda" branded battery you'd get at a US dealer is not going to be the same as the OE factory puts in but rather a "service replacement."

Last edited:
Go with group size 35 with a higher CCA. Back in 06/09/2012, I switched from a 51R to 35 in my 08 Accord. I still have that 35 DieHard Platinum Battery - Group Size 35 50 lbs L 9.5in, H 9.8in, 850 CCA. Model# P-5. Over 10 years old and still going strong.
That was something that I read/ researched that I could go with a different grouping number. That is pretty amazing the life of that battery! Especially living in MN!!! You certainly are a Tundragod! :)

Random feedback:

Advance Auto shows either 24F or 35 as appropriate battery sizes.

15 years ago, batteries used to be more generic. Walmart sold one, the DT-3N, that had both top and side terminals. It may have also had a removable plastic spacer underneath so that it fit a particular hold-down bracket. Ensure any battery you're looking at doesn't have this spacer.

You have a 1.2 kilowatt starter motor. At 9 volts (where batteries dip to during starting) that only draws 133 amps. Honda is already giving you a nice fudge factor with 550 CCA. And take note that it can maintain 550 amps for thirty seconds of cranking.

Walmart batteries vary by region, but the first two characters of the serial number tell the manufacturer. EP supplies my region, "East Penn (Deka.)" Exide is the worst of the big makers, so if you liked a new Exide, you'll like anything. Walmart.com will not tell you who supplies your local store, nor will it show all available options or appropriate pricing.
That is great information thank you! It gives me some confidence in the Honda battery also. East Penn/Deka is my preferred, after having the NAPA battery, it was the best one.

Buy the OEM size.
In her case, the OEM is only 550CCA, which goes against your recommendation of high CCA.

According to this site, group 35 is smaller and lighter, so why even consider it? https://batteryglobe.com/battery-24f-vs-35/

Your choices are narrowing. You prefer East Penn/Deka. I still think the middle size 650CCA will meet your needs/wants best. Slightly more CCA but not the overkill of 725CCA (the super cheap on sale one at Sams). Wait a few weeks - 10 to 20% off sales are common.....Black Friday is soon.

Last edited:

I will have to join Sam's Club to get the battery...but it does look like a great one!

....so a quick fix was to put in a Honda OEM battery while it was at the dealership. But I am not crazy about this battery being only 630 CCA....
What is the group size (aka BCI number) of this new OEM battery?

Back