best 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
I haven't seen the numbers for the Motorcraft ...

Have you looked? Just go to the UOA section and do a search. Every Motorcraft 5w20 UOA you'll see is outstanding.

Any particular reason why you don't want to use synthetic?

Mobil1 0w-20 does drop to 4.18/quart sometimes @ advanced auto.

I know you specifically stated "no synthetic" but @ the same time your also stating "best 5w-20"...technically if you want THE BEST 5w-20, you'll have to go synthetic. Otherwise your kinda of saying...

"I want the best 5w-20 that doesn't cost alot"...honestly if I went and spent 28-30k+ on a car, that baby would be lubed up with synthetic everything till she dies or gets traded in for the newer sexier model.

A synthetic oil change costs less then filling the tank now a days...and can/will give you better mpg, especially combined with synthetic transaxle fluid.

quote:

Well?

Maybe he chose Motorcraft because every single Motorcraft 5w20 UOA has been outstanding.
dunno.gif

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Well?

Maybe he chose Motorcraft because every single Motorcraft 5w20 UOA has been outstanding.
dunno.gif

So has every single UOA I've seen for the Pennzoil.

Here is a Pennzoil 5w-20 UOA thread with another linked in it where both thinned quite a bit at relatively low miles .
Thread

My initial thoughts are I would choose the Motorcraft based on the seemingly superior shear stability and the approximate 50 cent a quart lower price plus you get some group III base oil in the deal .

I did take a quick look at the Mazdas running Motorcraft as well since they might be tougher on an oil than say a 4.6 modular loafing along on the hi-way at 1500 rpm in overdrive .

But I don't use a 20wt OTC oil so I really don't have a preference based on actual experience with it .
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Here is a Pennzoil 5w-20 UOA thread with another linked in it where both thinned quite a bit at relatively low miles .

As was pointed out in that thread, Blackstone's comments about this oil thinning to a 10w were completely wrong. It was solidly in the middle of the 20 wt range. And since we didn't have a baseline VOA of this particular batch, we don't actually know how much THIS oil thinned at all.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

As was pointed out in that thread, Blackstone's comments about this oil thinning to a 10w were completely wrong. It was solidly in the middle of the 20 wt range. And since we didn't have a baseline VOA of this particular batch, we don't actually know how much THIS oil thinned at all.

Regardless to the comment made by Blackstone you choose to refer to one of the oils there finished at 49.5 and the other at 49.4 for right at 7.1 cSt .

Amazingly close for two different engines
tongue.gif

I'll give the benefit of doubt and subtract from the typical data sheet of the Pennzoil 5w-20 that shows a starting vi of 8.6 and allow for say , 8.1 ...... it still sheared and the thread you created and the response by member # 59 probably tells the tale here .

Pennz 5w-20 dino vs Pennz 5w-20 Synthetic

I am sticking to my opinion the Pennzoil 5w-20 shears and will add it looks to be about on par with other 5w-30 PCMO's in terms of numerical SUS lost over and interval at this point based on the above .

quote:

Originally posted by dheel:
Don't think local Wal-Mart has the Motorcraft, believe the Walmart in larger city not far from me may have. Where is it 1.42 at? Thought someone posted it was a little higher than that at Walmart. Thanks again.

Motorcraft 5w-20 is now $1.44 at Wally World in Northwest NJ.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by JMK3rd:

quote:

Originally posted by dheel:
Don't think local Wal-Mart has the Motorcraft, believe the Walmart in larger city not far from me may have. Where is it 1.42 at? Thought someone posted it was a little higher than that at Walmart. Thanks again.

smile.gif

Wow! I'm in Sparta also and looked at Wally World in The Trade Zone in Mt. Olive and it was $1.82 last month, up from $1.77 previously
shocked.gif
!
offtopic.gif
Everyonce in a while Mikep and I get together to shoot the breeze and consume some adult beverages. If you're interested I'll drop you a line next time we get together. Or in the meantime I'm only 1/2 mile up the road from Krogh's in Sparta and "really" appreciate their brew pub brews
grin.gif
. So if you want to share a brew or whatever and shoot the breeze let me know
wink.gif

Whimsey

quote:

Originally posted by JMK3rd:

cool.gif
I just paid $1.42 here at lunchtime for my mother-in-law's 98 Contour, I'll change it next week.

anyone got any inside tips on castrol syntec 5w20, valvoline durablend 5w20?? i havent seen any uos's on either of them.....was curious as to how they stack up w/ the rest of the 5w20 oils

Local Wal-Mart 5W20 and 0W20 prices per quart. Sorry no Havoline or Chevron
and the Mobile 1 was on the clearance rack ie will no longer be carried.

Motorcraft 5W20 $1.42
Pennzoil 5W20 $1.77
Castrol Syntec Blend 5W20 $2.07
Mobil 1 0W20 $4.77

Gene

cool.gif
Crossed my fingers today and changed the mum-in-law's 98 Contour 4 cyl with Motorcraft 5w-20. 75k miles on it. Also changed the air and fuel filters and got the wheels balanced.

[ June 09, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: JohnnyO ]

I know why I would pick the Pennzoil or Chevron 5W20 for a Honda vehicle, both have a lot of moly (~200PPM) which is similar to, and probably more compatible with, the additive package of the factory fill break-in oil ... which has close to 1,000PPM of moly.

Motorcraft uses no moly but significantly more boron. I agree that it's very good stuff (does anyone make a bad 5W20??) but if I had a new Honda, I'd prefer to use a moly fortified oil exclusively ... at least for the first year or two.

But the syn/syn blend argument between the oils is not a strong one. Which is better, a Group II+ base oil or a Group II /Group III blend? I think it is a classic case of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
dunno.gif

Yes, thinning in lubes always troubles me, but for modest drain intervals, it should not pose a problem. UOA testing has shown very low wear with the stuff.

If I wanted to follow the printed service interval, I'd have to go with Mobil 1. As was hinted at previously, the best 5W20 is actually a 0W20.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
[QB] I know why I would pick the Pennzoil or Chevron 5W20 for a Honda vehicle, both have a lot of moly (~200PPM) which is similar to, and probably more compatible with, the additive package of the factory fill break-in oil ... which has close to 1,000PPM of moly.

Motorcraft uses no moly but significantly more boron. I agree that it's very good stuff (does anyone make a bad 5W20??) but if I had a new Honda, I'd prefer to use a moly fortified oil exclusively ... at least for the first year or two.

Does anyone know if Kendall 5w20 contains lot of moly?

Just a thought of my own. I decided to use the pennzoil in my 02 Odyssey due to its great UOAs and lots of moly. I could have said, what the heck, spend quite a bit more for a full synthetic and call it a day.

My issue is that on my 90 4 runner, I did just that, but had to have a full top end rebuild due to a bad valve at 130k miles. To top that off, the engine uses or looses or both 1 quart every 2500 to 3000 miles. A full synthetic did not save me anything.

I got a sbc 305 to 175k miles without a problem on castrol 10w40 dino. Many people get toyotas and hondas up past 250k miles on dino.

In my case, it has taken all I can do to get an 02 Odyssey and keep food on the table as well as keep our "rainy day" funds up to snuff. Its either pay for full synthetic, or buy diapers for our small one. Which would you do?

Now as far as motorcraft vs pennzoil, I decided on the pennzoil due to the high moly, and i feel that lots of moly is a good thing. Why? I dunno, it sounds good to me and Im really a neewbe to this level of depth with engine oil.

Anyway, this board is VERY informative and I have learned a lot. I look forward to learning more, and may look towards a full synthetic in the future, but for now, I need the very best of the least expensive oils for both my rides. Thanks, and remember, this is just my 2 cents worth.

90Runner;
Sounds like a plan. To keep your warrantee you'll have to keep your drains at or under 7500 miles anyway, so you won't get the bang for your buck by running a full syn 10K or so.

Running the pennz 5K ought to be fine and save you some ca$h.

"Are you so sure that Motorcraft 5w-20 doesn't have Moly? I think maybe it does now."

Those amounts are awfully small ... 30-50PPM. That might even be contamination from an earlier coated batch ... or moly-coated pistons, etc ...
dunno.gif

The 5W20s with lots of moly each have ~200PPM.

--- Bror Jace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back