Best 0w16 oil?

This whole thing grew out of the whole "0W-16 oil is a must", argument. It is not a "must". The U.S. manual only states that it is "preferred". It also states that using an oil with a higher viscosity would be better suited when running under high speed conditions.... Which makes sense.

The only tie in with 0W-16 in the manual is to, "better fuel economy", and "easier cold weather starting".
Agreed, which is why I shared the Australian doc to begin with.

I think what we're all shooting for here is that "better" solution that makes more sense for the majority of drivers...especially compared to what the factory is recommending, which is obviously biased towards CAFE standards for the most part.

I'd venture to guess that "the best" median UOA values would likely come from 0w-20 or 0w-30, or heck, combination of the two. We all know that Toyota's aren't exactly hard on oil, but given the choice, the higher viscosity would likely do more good than harm; especially given that a good amount of drivers fall into the "severe" maintenance schedule without even realizing it.

I'd venture to guess that "the best" median UOA values would likely come from 0w-20 or 0w-30, or heck, combination of the two. We all know that Toyota's aren't exactly hard on oil, but given the choice, the higher viscosity would likely do more good than harm; especially given that a good amount of drivers fall into the "severe" maintenance schedule without even realizing it.
Perhaps but as Blackstone has noted there is no statistically significant difference between oils in terms of a UOA. It's not the tool to measure oil performance.

Agreed, which is why I shared the Australian doc to begin with.

I think what we're all shooting for here is that "better" solution that makes more sense for the majority of drivers...especially compared to what the factory is recommending, which is obviously biased towards CAFE standards for the most part.

I'm using 0W-30 in my 2018 Toyota Camry 2.5 L 4-Cylinder, and I'm noticing the engine is much quieter. Especially at idle when it's good and hot. I drained the 0W-16, (I'm assuming that what it came with), at 450 miles, and went with 0W-20 ever since. Then this Summer I made the switch to 0W-30, and I see no reason to change.

I still have the "0W" for good flow at startup. And here in the desert Southwest it doesn't get that cold. My garage is attached, and rarely gets under 65 F. So I have no need for these water thin oils. And I'm sure as hell not going to worry about some microscopic loss of gas mileage.

This is only my opinion, but I think the factory personnel who writes these owners manuals, have to choose their words carefully when they talk about oil, because of the whole CAFE deal. They get their engine rating to CAFE standards on 0W-16, and the EPA wants that oil in those engines. They'll get it because most people will use what they're told is "preferred". But it doesn't mean the pistons are going to start swapping holes if you use a higher viscosity.

This is only my opinion, but I think the factory personnel who writes these owners manuals, have to choose their words carefully when they talk about oil, because of the whole CAFE deal. They get their engine rating to CAFE standards on 0W-16, and the EPA wants that oil in those engines. They'll get it because most people will use what they're told is "preferred". But it doesn't mean the pistons are going to start swapping holes if you use a higher viscosity.
Did you see my post of a CAFE award letter above? They most definitely have to word it carefully as stated in the letter.

Perhaps but as Blackstone has noted there is no statistically significant difference between oils in terms of a UOA. It's not the tool to measure oil performance.
Does it measure how the engine is wearing in its operating conditions?

Honestly i'd just run 0w-20. It's basically the same and that engine can run it and it's a lot more widely available with more brands carrying it. It's still thin enough for your winters and Toyota didn't switch to it because of cold starts but for less drag.

If i had to buy a 0w-20 it would probably be Pennzoil platinum or the new Valvoline which has a great additive pack. M1 ep wont fail anyone.

Well, for the same exact engine in Australia the Owners Manual suggests anything from 0w-16 to 10w-30 ... now I'm interested in hearing a further explanation from those that mention "just do what the manual says"

View attachment 68138

Firstly it does not recommend 10W-30. But again someone is failing to take into account the lack of availability of thinner oils at any sort of a budget price in Australia. It's not "apples-to-apples" as they say....

So you think a place like Eureka, Nevada would have better access to 0w-16...or 0w-anything for that matter?

Thank you for proving my point.

Um. yeah. You can order Mobil 1 0W-16 from Walmart and get a $10 rebate per jug. I severally doubt you'll find a 0W-16 anywhere close to that in Australia....

They should and there is always online shopping for the US.
My little town is just 11k … about 3/4 of the vehicles are from the big 3. Lots of big vehicles …
(dealerships = GM, Ford, and Mopar lines) … yet our Walmart has had 0W16 for a long time now

Here is another thing that struck me as, well, just a little bit odd to say the least. The Toyota manual states that 0W-20 can be used instead of 0W-16. "Just as long as it's replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change". 0W-20 is either good to go, or it isn't. You can either use it or you can't. How is the car going to know if it was, "Replaced with 0W-16?" Or anyone else for that matter.

The car doesn't know what's in it. What's going to happen if it isn't replaced with 0W-16? Then the manual contradicts itself even further by saying, "A higher viscosity oil, "Might be better suited for severe conditions". Well if it's, "Better suited", why would you put 0W-16 back in? Even more importantly, how can 0W-16 be "Preferred" in the first place, if a higher viscosity is "better suited" for sever conditions?

When you read through the manual concerning oil use, it reads like it was written by backpedaling politicians, not automotive engineers.

Last edited:
Can't wait to be titillated by the secrets.

Do we have to learn a handshake first?

70vZQft.gif

Here is another thing that struck me as, well, just a little bit odd to say the least. The Toyota manual states that 0W-20 can be used instead of 0W-16. "Just as long as it's replaced with 0W-16 at the next oil change". 0W-20 is either good to go, or it isn't. You can either use it or you can't. How is the car going to know if it was, "Replaced with 0W-16?" Or anyone else for that matter.

The car doesn't know what's in it. What's going to happen if it isn't replaced with 0W-16? Then the manual contradicts itself even further by saying, "A higher viscosity oil, "Might be better suited for severe conditions". Well if it's, "Better suited", why would you put 0W-16 back in? Even more importantly, how can 0W-16 be "Preferred" in the first place, if a higher viscosity is "better suited" for sever conditions?

When you read through the manual concerning oil use, it reads like it was written by backpedaling politicians, not automotive engineers.
As already pointed out ... the manual is written to abide by laid out requirements in order get those CAFE credits by trying to brainwash consumers into thinking that the "recommended" oil is the required oil.

As already pointed out ... the manual is written to abide by laid out requirements in order get those CAFE credits by trying to brainwash consumers into thinking that the "recommended" oil is the required oil.
Yes it makes perfect sense in light of what is required. Not perfect technical sense of course but that does explain the motivation.

I still have the "0W" for good flow at startup. And here in the desert Southwest it doesn't get that cold. My garage is attached, and rarely gets under 65 F. So I have no need for these water thin oils. And I'm sure as hell not going to worry about some microscopic loss of gas mileage.

The 0W winter rating does not make a lick of difference above -10F or maybe even lower. So I would not bother
with that in AZ. But if that oil is running well, no need to change to a different winter grade either !

Back