Best 0w16 oil?

Again, I have never had an engine larger than 2 litres hold up for more than 60K miles on a 0W20. So I urge caution then carefully "read between the lines" in the O.M. And that is my Wife driving the car not me. There was Premium servicing throughout the ownership.

Again, I have never had an engine larger than 2 litres hold up for more than 60K miles on a 0W20. So I urge caution then carefully "read between the lines" in the O.M. And that is my Wife driving the car not me. There was Premium servicing throughout the ownership.
Just curious as to what happened to your engines? Not holding up, does that mean major oil consumption?

Well, for the same exact engine in Australia the Owners Manual suggests anything from 0w-16 to 10w-30 ... now I'm interested in hearing a further explanation from those that mention "just do what the manual says"

Image 1132.jpg

Any idea where I could find this? I have not seen it yet. 🙂
I found a couple of threads, but the links given are broken since it is an old document now and has been superseded by others. Even so it does indicate the depths of what a manufacturer must do to promote the grade of oil used to secure their CAFE credits. Note the dictation of wording in owner's manuals (1) along with requirements for oil blenders and manufacturers to promote certain grades.

Attachments

• ccd0006_Page_1.jpg
    ccd0006_Page_1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 99
  • ccd0006_Page_2.jpg
    ccd0006_Page_2.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 97
  • ccd0006_Page_3.jpg
    ccd0006_Page_3.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 95
Well, for the same exact engine in Australia the Owners Manual suggests anything from 0w-16 to 10w-30 ... now I'm interested in hearing a further explanation from those that mention "just do what the manual says"

View attachment 68138

Because Australia has areas where the choice of oil is limited. 0w16 might not be available in Coober Pedy.

If one lives in the bigger metros then 0w16 will be on the shelves and will run fine.

Just curious as to what happened to your engines? Not holding up, does that mean major oil consumption?
Engine noise and high consumption. My wife was trading cars before 60K anyhow due to them being Subaru requiring an expensive
Timing belt change before 90k and the powertrain warranty expiring. She kept her 2017 crosstrek till almost 90k but she wanted a new car.
Sad, as that was the best car she had owned in over 2 decades, and I just did a brake job on all 4 corners. The Foresters we had in the meantime were having teething issues on the new FB25 engine. There were class actions or recall or TSB on oil consumption and/ or timing chain tensioner failure. So many I cant recall anymore.

Engine noise and high consumption. My wife was trading cars before 60K anyhow due to them being Subaru requiring an expensive
Timing belt change before 90k and the powertrain warranty expiring. She kept her 2017 crosstrek till almost 90k but she wanted a new car.
Sad, as that was the best car she had owned in over 2 decades, and I just did a brake job on all 4 corners. The Foresters we had in the meantime were having teething issues on the new FB25 engine. There were class actions or recall or TSB on oil consumption and/ or timing chain tensioner failure. So many I cant recall anymore.
OK thanks.

I have two nephews that had Subaru's. They took them to the dealer for oil changes and service according to the OM and both of them had engine issues after 100k miles to the point of needing new engines. That is all I know and I didn't talk to them as to what exactly happened. Just seemed weird that they had that happen on two different models. One was a Outback and the other was a Legacy.

Another friend had a 2003 Forester and had to have the head replaced on it. He also was a stickler for taking it in for service. He also had rear wheel bearing issues from what I can remember.

Yeabut it was a design problem not an oil problem.

Because Australia has areas where the choice of oil is limited. 0w16 might not be available in Coober Pedy.

If one lives in the bigger metros then 0w16 will be on the shelves and will run fine.
So you think a place like Eureka, Nevada would have better access to 0w-16...or 0w-anything for that matter?

Thank you for proving my point.

As usual, multiple grades can be used in an engine, in this case 0w16 or 0w20. And according to the snippet below, 0w30 and even 0w40 would be acceptable for driving in high speed and/or high load conditions. The language does not restrict the "higher value" viscosity to any specific number, although in this application I would go no higher than 0w30 even in the harshest conditions:
View attachment 67712
If the new oils only give a whopping 2% better fuel economy I'd rather see the increased engine life by using 0w40 or 5w40. Just my 2 cents. I was just helping this weekend with a dealership parts inventory and the guys were all talking about engine issues with various makes, Subaru, Toyota and Honda all mentioned.

If the new oils only give a whopping 2% better fuel economy I'd rather see the increased engine life by using 0w40 or 5w40. Just my 2 cents. I was just helping this weekend with a dealership parts inventory and the guys were all talking about engine issues with various makes, Subaru, Toyota and Honda all mentioned.
Given a choice, I also choose a higher viscosity oil, to a point.
Were these people talking about *oil-related* engine issues? I think all manufacturers have engine issues from time to time, especially with all the new technology today's engines have.

View attachment 68138

I asked about this on a Toyota forum, and was told the engines are not the same. They said the oil pumps are different. This makes no sense to me. Why would they put different oil pumps on the same engine being sold overseas? And what's even more ridiculous is to think they would install an oil pump on stateside (CAFE) engines, that was not capable of pumping a heavier viscosity oil at the required oil pressure. In short it makes no sense.

I asked about this on a Toyota forum, and was told the engines are not the same. They said the oil pumps are different. This makes no sense to me. Why would they put different oil pumps on the same engine being sold overseas? And what's even more ridiculous is to think they would install an oil pump on stateside (CAFE) engines, that was not capable of pumping a heavier viscosity oil at the required oil pressure. In short it makes no sense.
Did someonw show proof that the oil pump part numbers were actually different for the same two engines? Or did someone just say that?

What do you think? lol

This whole thing grew out of the whole "0W-16 oil is a must", argument. It is not a "must". The U.S. manual only states that it is "preferred". It also states that using an oil with a higher viscosity would be better suited when running under high speed conditions.... Which makes sense.

The only tie in with 0W-16 in the manual is to, "better fuel economy", and "easier cold weather starting".

I found a couple of threads, but the links given are broken since it is an old document now and has been superseded by others. Even so it does indicate the depths of what a manufacturer must do to promote the grade of oil used to secure their CAFE credits. Note the dictation of wording in owner's manuals (1) along with requirements for oil blenders and manufacturers to promote certain grades.
Thanks. It definitely makes sense now why owners manuals are worded to only use a specific oil viscosity. :)

Back