Best 0w16 oil?

You're taking the MM Act too liberally.

If the manual says "Must use TGMO 0w16", then you have a point. But it says "Or equivalent" and lists 0w16 and API SN as requirements, it frees up Toyota, as there are many aftermarket equivalent API SN 0w16 one can use.

Just like the Germans, GM, etc saying oil has to meet their specification, that's why they have a oil certification program, so that aftermarket products can be certified and used to maintain warranty and be compliant to MM Act.
Actually what they would need to say is "Must use TGMO 0w16 or your new-car warranty will be void." No one has posted language such as that from either the owner's manual nor a warranty booklet.

View attachment 67707

Also back in the day, VW and Audi before the 1.8T sludge fiasco did list oil had to meet one or more of the requirements (drawing from memory from 20 years ago):
5w30 or 5w40
ACEA A3/B4
API SH/CF-4/CG-4
VW 502.00/VW 505.00

So, it allowed Audi and VW dealerships to cheapen out, and use Castrol GTX 5w30 for customer's Audi A4 1.8T and Passat 1.8T and it came back to bite them, as the only burden of proof sludged customers needed were receipts showing oil changes were done.
I don't see where it says any specific viscosity is "required". It says 0W-16 is recommended. It even says 0W-20 is OK, and even eludes to using even thicker viscosity of high speed and extreme load conditions.

You're taking the MM Act too liberally.

If the manual says "Must use TGMO 0w16", then you have a point. But it says "Or equivalent" and lists 0w16 and API SN as requirements, it frees up Toyota, as there are many aftermarket equivalent API SN 0w16 one can use.
Still ... the OM doesn't say xW-xx viscosity is "required". I don't think you will find any owner's manual that says xW-xx is "required".

Still ... the OM doesn't say xW-xx viscosity is "required". I don't think you will find any owner's manual that says xW-xx is "required".
No and when you understand the technical reason for the (often strong) recommendation you know why. They don't want you using an oil that is a grade which is too thin for the engine but after that the language in the manual is there for an entirely non-technical reason.

As usual, multiple grades can be used in an engine, in this case 0w16 or 0w20. And according to the snippet below, 0w30 and even 0w40 would be acceptable for driving in high speed and/or high load conditions. The language does not restrict the "higher value" viscosity to any specific number, although in this application I would go no higher than 0w30 even in the harshest conditions:
1629483556293.png

No and when you understand the technical reason for the (often strong) recommendation you know why. They don't want you using an oil that is a grade which is too thin for the engine but after that the language in the manual is there for an entirely non-technical reason.
Yep, most know why ... CAFE. Others get fooled by the launguage and think it's "required" for some reason. I have never seen any OM that says xW-xx is "requiried" or "manditory" or any other similar words. Still waiting to see that specific OM statement.

As usual, multiple grades can be used in an engine, in this case 0w16 or 0w20. And according to the snippet below, 0w30 and even 0w40 would be acceptable for driving in high speed and/or high load conditions. The language does not restrict the "higher value" viscosity to any specific number, although in this application I would go no higher than 0w30 even in the harshest conditions:
View attachment 67712
0W-40 would not be permitted, from what I've seen the viscosities in Toyota manuals are recommendations, but either ILSAC Multi-Grade oil or API Resource Conserving oil is called for..

0W-40 would not be permitted, from what I've seen the viscosities in Toyota manuals are recommendations, but either ILSAC Multi-Grade oil or API Resource Conserving oil is called for..
True, I have never seen a #w40 labeled as "resource conserving." Strange that the owner's manual (snippet) does not restrict the higher value to 30. Maybe the authors just missed the connection between alternative viscosities (for certain driving conditions) and general recommendations to use resource conserving oils. Fortunately we have been able to figure out what they should have said: anything between 0w16 and 0w30 is acceptable depending on the driving conditions.

YOu must missed the part that says 0w-20 can be used, but the next oil change to use 0w-16 again.
I didn't miss it. You know why they say that? Still doesn't mean 0W-16 is "required". What if the next oil change was 10,000 miles down the road per the OLM.

Why do you think HCL PPS is better than Ravenol EFE?
There is information I have been given access to regarding testing, and I KNOW PPS > EFE.

BTW, I happened to purchase a PriusC and also some 0W16 EFE right when Ravenol came to market in North America with the groundbreaking 0W16 EFE.

Ravenol claimed then, in 2015, that 0W16 EFE was suitable for vehicles spec'd for 0W20 !

There is information I have been given access to regarding testing, and I KNOW PPS > EFE.

BTW, I happened to purchase a PriusC and also some 0W16 EFE right when Ravenol came to market in North America with the groundbreaking 0W16 EFE.
Ah yes the personal and otherwise unknowable secret insight that you can't share but supposedly proves some point that's being made. Generally the last argument brought out since it cannot be refuted.

Ah yes the personal and otherwise unknowable secret insight that you can't share but supposedly proves some point that's being made. Generally the last argument brought out since it cannot be refuted.
I respect the critical nature of the proprietary information divulged to me, and would gladly share it here at the appropriate time.

Believe me, this stuff is titillating.

Back