benefits to a .40/.357 sig vs. 9mm/.45

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FXjohn
you can't beat good old .45acp and a good 1911.

If you live on a planet where that is the only gun and caliber available, that is absolutely true. Better than a club. usually...

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

If you live on a planet where that is the only gun and caliber available, that is absolutely true. Better than a club. usually...

Now you went and did it, Ya just had to make a semi-negative remark about the .45 ACP AND the good ol 1911.
shocked2.gif

Prepare for battle.

So, to help you out I'll say this. I own a Taurus 1911 .45 ACP and it is NOT a good carry gun. It's to big and uncomfortable to conceal in any weather, because it is just to bulky. Where ya gonna hide a 8" long x 6" high x 1"+ thick hunk of metal that weighs 2+ lbs, during the summer? Go ahead and rapidly deploy that 2 lb hunk of steel in the winter. My little ol KelTec 9mm is all I need in one of my right side pockets thank you. FYI I don't consider the Mini-1911's to be a 1911. They're just small frame .45 ACP's.

Now as a HD gun, that's a different story. Cause my Taurus lives in my night stand. The KelTec is still in my pocket while I'm awake.

But then again that's just my view. Someone else's may and will differ.
whistle.gif
But at least now there are two of us.

Last edited:
I find my Kimber pro carry II to be an awesome carry gun.
(it's a "1911")
If I feel like something lighter I carry a SW .357 hammerless

It might be an "awesome carry gun" but it is not a true, full size, 1911, and like I said, "They're just small frame .45 ACP's."

the pro carry ii isn't too small.

I prefer the stopping power of a .45 and the cost of ammo isn't bad at all.

ypu can get it in 9mm if .45 is too big..

http://www.sightm1911.com/lib/review/KimberProCarryII9mm.htm

Specifications: Height (inches) 90° to barrel: 5.5
Weight (ounces) with empty magazine: 28
Length (inches): 7.7
Magazine capacity: 7
Magazine well
Ambidextrous thumb safety
Recoil spring (pounds): 22
Frame: Material: Aluminum
Finish: Gray anodized
Width (inches): 1.28
Frontstrap checkering (30 LPI)
Checkering under trigger guard (30 LPI)
Slide: Material: Steel
Finish: Matte black oxide
Barrel: Steel match grade
Length (inches): 4
Twist rate (left hand): 16
Sights: Meprolight Tritium 3-dot night, fixed
Radius (inches): 5.7
Grips: Black and silver laminated, logo Trigger: Premium aluminum match grade
Factory setting (approx. pounds): 4-5

My KelTec...

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
Calibers: 9mm Luger 9x19mm
Weight unloaded (no magazine) : 12.7 oz. 360g
Loaded magazine : 2.8 oz. 81g
Total weight: span>.
Length : 5.85" 149mm
Height : 4.3" 109mm
Width : .88" 22mm
Barrel Length : 3.1" 80mm
Capacity : 7 + 1 rounds

My full size 1911...

SPECIFICATIONS
Model: 1911B
Caliber: .45 ACP
Capacity: 8+1
Barrel Length: 5"
Action: SA
Finish: Blue Steel
Grips: Checkered Black
Weight: 38 oz empty
Weight loaded: 42 0z+/-
Yours is about 10oz less. But still almost 2 lbs.
Construction: Steel
Frame: Large
Front Sight: Heinie
Rear Sight: Straight-8
Trigger Type: Ventilated
Length: 8-1/2"
Width: 1-1/2"
Height: 5.45"
Rate of Twist: 1:16"
Grooves: 6

I didn't say your Kimber was too small. I said I don't see them as true 1911's. To me they are small frame .45 ACPs.

Last edited:
I personally like the .45 ACP and the .40 S&W rounds.

Yes a 9mm will work great with proper shot placement.

If you think you are going to have perfect shot placement, you are a fool.

Your planning for the worst when you carry a firearm. That worst can be anything.

It can be cold, hot, dark, bright with glare, foggy, snowing, and/or raining, while a guy or more is shooting at you from behind something. All that while adrenaline is pumping in you with all the pressure of the situation. And you want to rely on your "perfect" skills to get a "perfect" shot placement. I live in the real world. I have can list 100 reasons why I carry a bigger round than a 9mm like: I want every shot to have an effect(bigger round, bigger effect) even in the *likely* event I miss the "kill" spot.

But I carry a bigger round for the reasons I can't think of.

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
My 9mm from my Carbine will far exceed any .45 from a pistol.
wink.gif

How many 9mm can you get out (accurate).

Cause I can get one .45 out with decent accuracy pending on the situation. And one will usally do the job.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
No matter what caliber you're using, you should send 2 minimum.

Yes.

Double tap is what everyone is taught and it is very effective.

It comes down to personal choice. If you have a 9mm and .45, the .40 won't do anything that the other two can't already do. I own autoloaders in all three calibers and am equally pleased with all.

Sig has come out with neat option for their P series pistols. A factory slide with barrel and magazine that fit their centerfire pistols that allow you to shoot 22 long rifle rimfires. It is a direct swap on the frame and the slides come with fully adjustable sights. Having all three calibers, something like that or one of the Kimber or Ceiner kits for the 1911A1, Glock, beretta, or Browning Hi-Power is more appealing to me as it provides a really low cost shoooting alternative.

I believe a 40/9mm conversion would require a different slide as well as barrel and magazine because the 9mm luger is quite a bit different from the .40 S&W. The .357 Sig on the other hand is an offshoot of the .40 S&W and is basically a necked down 40. That being the case, it has the same head diameter and can use the same slide and magazine as the .40S&W. The only change would be the barrel.

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
wink.gif

Cause I can get one .45 out with decent accuracy pending on the situation. And one will usally do the job.

Decently quick. The Storm has a very heavy bolt (solid, non-gas), so follow-up that's a few milliseconds to make sure it's dead-on.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: rg200amp
wink.gif

Decently quick. The Storm has a very heavy bolt (solid, non-gas), so follow-up that's a few milliseconds to make sure it's dead-on.
banana2.gif

Must be fun lugging it around all day. . .
LOL.gif

FBI did a 2 yr test. Bottomline findings were that under-penetration was the worst situation and they found that the .45 caliber Hydrashok 23 grain had the best street record for one shot stops and the light .40S&W (105 grain) were right up there.

Magnums were not included in tthe test...but you can rest assured that a 357 or 44 mag will ruin a perp's no matter where shot.

I think you're missing a zero on the .45 weight.

Personally, I think a 9mm should be everybody else's choice for a weapon caliber. I'll take the .45.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I think you're missing a zero on the .45 weight.

Personally, I think a 9mm should be everybody else's choice for a weapon caliber. I'll take the .45.
grin2.gif

+1

I would much rather be shot with a 9mm in CBM than a .45ACP.
Anyone who knows about bullet design would say the same thing. So, Why let the baddie get hit with less stopping power and the round you would much rather get hit with???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back