Inexpensive caliber to shoot

I own several 9 mm's, 40 calibers, 45's, 357 Magnum, also I have Ruger MK IV on layaway. Besides the .22 is there another cheap caliber to target shoot and plink with? Preferably handgun. Years ago when I did this regularly, I used to go out with 38's 9 mm and 22s this was back when Walmart sold ammo.. I'm just recently getting back into the swing of things. Recently bought a safe just picking out a 22. Got rid of several firearms over the years..

Thank you for your help.

.22 has to be cheapest. Maybe this might be cheaper.

images

Lessonpro

Roll your own 9mm if you plan to shoot a bit. You could get a cheap single stage press and be able to stick with a single powder (I use N320 for all things 9mm from 115gr to 147gr bullets, round nose and HP), small pistol primer prices kinda hurt but it looks like 10 cents a piece is going to be the price for the future so long as BlackRock owns everything but Winchester.

Granted the model doesn't work on pricing unless you shoot a lot, but I don't place a price on ammo independence.

Ever consider a BB or pellet gun? I have a few. Granddaughter and I have had fun with them over the years. I live in town, but on a dead end street. I only have one neighbor that can see if we shoot in the back yard. In fact, she came out a couple years ago and encouraged up to use her back yard also, if we want to stretch out the distance! (y)

Then I bought a full auto BB gun. www.amazon.com/Legend-Umarex-GEN-3-Submachine-Airgun/dp/B072JQV886

Man is that thing fun! It will empty a 50 round or so mag in around 8 seconds. It puts a smile on every face, kids or adults!
$200 or so was well worth the price.

Ever consider a BB or pellet gun?
Yes! During the “lockdown” I set up a basic shooting range in my 70 foot unfinished basement garage. I haven’t been to a shooting range since, not wanting to “waste” my ammo.
I hung a heavy painters drop cloth, doubled it up, and set up my little target stand and had a lot of fun with my old Daisy model 25 pump bb gun and my old Crosman 760 pump master, both 177 caliber. The next best thing to going to the range and costs near nothing! The Umarex and Gamo are tempting but I don’t want to go too crazy in the garage! :p

I simply won't reload 9mm. Not worth it. I mean I do have the tools and have enough saved brass.

Reload most others, 45 and 10mm mostly. It's very rewarding.
Same here.. I reload everything but 9 and .40. Cost of components just doesn’t make it worthwhile. About like reloading 12ga birdshot.. no thanks

Reloading 38spl isn’t that hard. Don’t have to pick up brass of the ground either. But revolver is different shooting than an auto, granted. But that can be a good thing, slow down and make the most of each shot.

That's no longer the case, but 38 Special ammo was once low priced. In the 90's I used to buy large amounts of reloaded 357 magnum SWC from a gun shop that focused on competitive shooting and LEO sales. I believe the cost was $8/50 and eventually $9/50. They loaded it to about 38 Special +P or +P+ velocity.

A borough police officer I once knew liked to play with his big Dillon progressive reloading equipment. He loaded 30k round of 38 Special. Very sadly, he died about 20 years ago. I suppose that his widow sold it.

Back