Ruger LCR in .38 or .357 -- good carry pistol?

Status
Not open for further replies.
.357 is overkill for the short distances involved and the need to not over penetrate that plays into most real world SD tactical situations. You will be dealing with huge muzzle flash and significant recoil attempting to use a .357 CC compact style gun. Both of those are not good for multiple shot accuracy in a gun fight. Also with a .357 round producing approx 160 db you will likely permanently damage your hearing if you have to use the gun especially in a car or closed in interior. If you want the simplicity of a revolver get the lighter version of the Ruger or S&W pocket carry style model that shoots .38 and 38+P. Train with cheap .38 and carry good quality .38+P JHPs as your SD rounds. No need for the added weight and bulk of a .357 for CC.

Lasers are very good for SD situations where you can't get a sight picture, or you are shooting from prone or other non ideal position, or you are already injured and partially immobilized. Get the newer more powerful green laser if possible, way better for daylight.

Last edited:
I got a new 642 a couple of weeks ago. I love it.

It's a handful with +P, but that's to be expected. It's small. I don't think it's a jeans pocket pistol, like a .380 would be, but it's a coat pocket pistol or cargo pocket pistol. I carry it IWB in a leather holster. I got it in stainless to be my yardwork gun and not rust after a day of getting sweaty.

Hammerless is good for a pocket gun. Don't need any snags on the way out.

Shoot it with standard and +P as much as you need and suck it up, Buttercup. Yeah, it'll hurt a little, and be uncomfortable, but it has to be done. It's still awesome and fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back