Inexpensive caliber to shoot

I would like to find a used one in really nice shape, I've been looking online.. found one on GunBroker, I messaged him, but it was already gone..

Maybe I'll look into a 38 special revolver. Any recommendations? I would like to have a 4 or 6 in barrel
in my own experience i recommend either a new taurus or a used s&w via gunbroker for a 38sp revolver, though new taurus revolvers are mostly 2” or 3” ccw these days. from what i see on gb used s&w 6” revolvers seem to be decent values: as target rather than carry pieces are likely better cared for by enthusiasts and not beat up out in the field; aren’t as popular thus bidding is less keen. there is nothing like the feel and appearance of a gently-used blued s&w model 10. nothing against a colt or ruger double action revolvers but the s&w m10 was the quintessential american handgun (alongwith the m1911) for good reason for a long time.

Last edited:
.22 has to be cheapest. Maybe this might be cheaper.

images

Lessonpro
I shoot tournament archery as a pro
it is cheaper , but equipment is expensive to get started if you want the best

I cast my own bullets and have a few pounds of lead alloy. So my favorite is 38 Special you can shoot a piece of 38 brass with target loads a whole bunch of times in the 700 to 800 FPS range. So with the power I have a large stock of I'm loading them for about 8 cents a round. All most as cheap as good 22 LR ammo.

9mm is generally the cheapest handgun caliber. It’s back down to about 25 cents a round. Not cheap, but way, way cheaper than a couple years ago.

For rifle, usually 7.62x39 is cheapest, though it’s still relatively expensive. .223/5.56 is close.
Basically this. 5.56/.223 is back down to roughly .31-35 cpr shipped again.

I’m a fan of SG Ammo. Sam Gabbert has competitive prices, cheap shipping. Great service.

www.sgammo.com
Good option Astro. That and targetsportsusa.com are almost identical. And if you desire a certain brand either will fill the bill. I have bought 10K + rounds over years with zero problems with target sports wioth zero problems.

But thanks for the alternative.

BTW. Recently bought this:https://www.targetsportsusa.com/new...luger-ammo-115-grain-fmj-rtr9br-p-112690.aspx

Last edited:
Maybe I'll look into a 38 special revolver. Any recommendations? I would like to have a 4 or 6 in barrel
We have both S&W lightweights (2) and a Taurus … I got them the S&W‘s for the “hammerless” (purse carry) - but I like the Taurus bcs I have the choice of cocking or not - a bit more accurate …
The Taurus is also 6 shot (S&W = 5)

If you are a glock fanboy there is no question. Buy the Glock 44 (.22) its identical to the G19

I am planning to add an RMR to my G44

I cast my own bullets and have a few pounds of lead alloy. So my favorite is 38 Special you can shoot a piece of 38 brass with target loads a whole bunch of times in the 700 to 800 FPS range. So with the power I have a large stock of I'm loading them for about 8 cents a round. All most as cheap as good 22 LR ammo.
38 Special brass has a seemingly unlimited life if loaded light.

Right around the time I bought my S&W 52(38 special target semi-auto) I started scouring gun shows specifically for wadcutter brass. It's hard to find new, but once was uncommon. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, basically it's thinner walled than standard 38 special, has a distinctive double cannula, and would have been factory loaded with a flush seated hollow base wadcutter.

Some of what I found was nickel plated but had been reloaded so many times that all the nickel other than on the last quarter inch or so of the case and then the head was still there.

It would not surprise me if some of those cases had been reloaded 50+ times. I've reloaded some a dozen or more times(I was picky enough when I first got them to sort by headstamp and bag in 50s). I split one occasionally, but it's far from a regular thing.

2.7gr Bullseye under a 140gr HBWC doesn't exactly stress a case. To try and stretch the life as an experiment, I reloaded some without resizing and found I could usually shoot them twice out of my S&W 14.

If you are a glock fanboy there is no question. Buy the Glock 44 (.22) its identical to the G19

I am planning to add an RMR to my G44
That's on my list someday..
I just got a Ruger Mark IV I think the next one I want to get is a Ruger GP100 so I can shoot 38's I had one and I sold it so I really want to replace it.. LOL then after that I think we'll be the Glock..

Back