Barrett Hunting Rifles!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
http://www.barrett.net/firearms/model98b

Originally Posted By: Barrett

Carved from years of hard-earned insight, the Model 98B is entirely in a league of its own. This revolutionary precision rifle offers sub MOA long-range performance that others can only dream about. Its straight-line design allows for faster, more accurate follow-up shots that can tame the beast when hunting large game.

Even the casual observer can see that the Model 98B is not a descendant of the bolt action sporting rifle. In fact, it's not a descendant of anything. Available in .338 Lapua Magnum, .300 Win Mag, .308 Win, .260 Rem, 6.5 Creed and 7mm Rem Mag, this rifle was developed to be a completely unique, purpose-built platform for precise long-range shooting.

Its straight-line design, running from the highly efficient muzzle brake to the shooter's shoulder, tames recoil. It also allows for faster, more accurate follow-up shots fed from the 10-round detachable magazine. The ergonomic pistol grip reduces muscle fatigue and provides total control over the fully adjustable trigger. An intuitive, thumb-operated safety can be accessed without compromising the firing grip and allows the shooter to maintain a solid weld to the adjustable cheek piece. The oversized bolt handle can be easily manipulated, feeding a new round into the chamber as the bolt glides through a polymer guide.

The Model 98B rifle's aluminum upper receiver boasts an M1913 optics rail, offering plenty of space to mount substantial optics as well as a night vision device or other accessories. The forward receiver is drilled and tapped for accessory rails to be mounted at the 3, 6 and 9 o'clock positions.

98bfloatnew.jpg

OH YEAH!!!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Look up Lazzeroni Rifles. Very high price. Also special ammo.

I don't see it offering anything above and beyond what you can do with a .338LM in the above Barrett rifle or something from AI
21.gif
Other than of course increased cost.

in what way do good or bad quality in a rifle show? Can you say that an expensive rifle will last longer then a cheap. or are there other differences?

Might be a silly question, but from watching different tv-programs about gunshops and gunsmiths from the US. I have noticed a real big difference in price, for something that for me all looks like a peace of simple mechanic.

My only experience with weapons, whas carrying around an old HK G3 assaultrifle for a year durring my draft time. Shot with it a couple of times a week and spend twice as long cleaning the thing. I would believe a military weapon like the HK G3 was build as cheap as possible. Still they held up for many years as trainings rifles.

Thanks all. From a curious Dane.

These are best specialized rifles, meant for high accuracy at very long ranges. They're manufactured with premium materials to very exact specifications. They're also charging a premium for the Barrett name.

At 100-200 meters, my old Remington does everything this Barrett does. At 1,000 meters, these premium rifles shine.

for 4 grand I better be able to know the stinger off of a bumblebee from 1000 meters!

I sure would love for someone here to buy one and let me shoot it for an hour
smile.gif
.... and since you are already being so kind, I would prefer the 338 Lapua Magnum.

Originally Posted By: shDK
in what way do good or bad quality in a rifle show? Can you say that an expensive rifle will last longer then a cheap. or are there other differences?

The Sub MOA (Minute of Accuracy) is a big one. Multiple shots will go to the same spot. The other thing is many rifles will start to shoot "stringers". As the barrel heats up, it can bend lightly, getting more pronounced with each shot. This causes the pattern to resemble a line, or string. Next would be the trigger. The trigger needs to be safe enough not to go off by itself, but light enough not to pull you off target as to shoot. Then the smoothness of the bolt, and bullet feed from the magazine. Most all of the guns that do this, require quality parts, that then get fine tuned by hand.

If they were going use "NO GAME TOO BIG" to title their page they should have offered the rifle in a big game cartridge. They should have instead used NO DEER TOO FAR AWAY" or something. Maybe "NO CHECKBOOK TOO SAFE."

Originally Posted By: hatt
If they were going use "NO GAME TOO BIG" to title their page they should have offered the rifle in a big game cartridge. They should have instead used NO DEER TOO FAR AWAY" or something. Maybe "NO CHECKBOOK TOO SAFE."

I'm quite sure .338LM will work fine on most large game. They just didn't offer it in some of the proprietary cartridges like the "Nitro Express" and other ridiculous ones. If you want something larger, they have a wide assortment of .50BMG rifles.

What's ridiculous is lugging around heavy, bulky, $4000+ tactical rifles chambered in $5 bills to shoot deer at 80 yards. Shooting big game at 600+ yards is unnecessary and unethical IMO so no matter what this concept is foolish.

What's ridiculous is lugging around heavy, bulky, $4000+ tactical rifles chambered in $5 bills to shoot deer at 80 yards. Shooting big game at 600+ yards is unnecessary and unethical IMO so no matter what this concept is foolish.

That would be the .50. These guns aren't big, and I think smaller than my 110BA, which, although not great for carting around, isn't like a 30lb .50BMG.

And while you may think it is foolish, obviously there is a market or these guns wouldn't exist
wink.gif
Though I doubt few will actually shoot them to their potential. And many may end up being target rifles, which I think they would be excellent at.

I've got well over 3 grand into my 110BA, so I don't find $4K for this rifle to be overly expensive
21.gif
And reloading .338LM makes it actually very cost effective.

110BA is no more practical than a .50 for hunting. Still unnecessarily big and bulky for hunting duty. A gun half the weight will do 100% of the job that needs doing. These guns are certainly pretty awesome but we have to keep reality in mind. just because someone markets it and someone buys it doesn't mean it smart. Plenty of hunters sitting in a tree stand in think woods with a 7mm/300 mag to shoot tiny deer 40 yards max.

Last edited:
110BA is no more practical than a .50 for hunting. Still unnecessarily big and bulky for hunting duty. A gun half the weight will do 100% of the job that needs doing. These guns are certainly pretty awesome but we have to keep reality in mind. just because someone markets it and someone buys it doesn't mean it smart. Plenty of hunters sitting in a tree stand in think woods with a 7mm/300 mag to shoot tiny deer 40 yards max.

I was specifically thinking moose actually. From a tree stand. I think a .338LM would be a decent round for that. It is overkill for deer and anything smaller than moose really. My deer gun is a Savage in .270WIN, and is quite light and portable with a 2.5-16X scope on it.

It certainly will have enough power. What bullet would you use? I don't think many hunting bullets are built for the LM speed. Especially at close range.

That's a good bullet. I'd personally probably go for something like the classic A-Frame to hunt in grand style. I see the Interbond has a far superior B.C. however. Probably makes a lot more sense in an extreme range cartridge even if you don't use it. And they're half the price.

That's a good bullet. I'd personally probably go for something like the classic A-Frame to hunt in grand style. I see the Interbond has a far superior B.C. however. Probably makes a lot more sense in an extreme range cartridge even if you don't use it. And they're half the price.

Yup
thumbsup2.gif

I intend on trying them in my .308 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back