Backpacker Guilty Verdict

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bradley John Murdoch has been found guilty of the murder of British backpacker Peter Falconio.

Murdoch guilty of murder
13-12-2005

Guilty ... Murdoch was given a mandatory life sentence.
BRADLEY Murdoch was tonight found guilty by a Northern Territory Supreme Court jury of murdering British backpacker Peter Falconio.

The Broome mechanic was also found guilty of assaulting Mr Falconio's girlfriend Joanne Lees and depriving her of her liberty.
The Northern Territory Supreme Court jury of six men and six women took eight hours to reach their unanimous decision.

Chief Justice Brian Martin sentenced the 47-year-old to the mandatory life term for murder.

Submissions on a non-parole period will be heard at a later date.

The decision followed an eight-week trial, which heard from 85 witnesses and had more than 300 exhibits tendered.

Ms Lees and Mr Falconio's family have sat in court throughout the entire trial.

The prosecution alleged Mr Falconio was shot in the head after Murdoch pulled over the couple's Kombi van on a remote stretch of the Stuart Highway four years ago.

Murdoch then threatened Ms Lees with a gun, punched her in a head and bound her with cable-tie restraints, but she later managed to escape.

The prosecution suggested Murdoch may have killed Mr Falconio either because he thought he was following him, or because he saw Ms Lees driving the vehicle earlier and thought she was alone.

[ December 13, 2005, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: theguru ]

quote:

It's news to me???

It's received massive publicity throughout the trial here and the UK, as Joanne Lees and Peter Falconio were British tourists backpacking around Australia. It enabled the British Press to comfirm the stereotype of Australia as a remote, lawless, wild and dangerous place, and apparently their tabloids played that up to the hilt.
We are all intrigued, as no body has been found or motive established.

Why did the police take the handcuffs he supposedly used to the jail where Murdoch was held pre tril? Hey presto DNA found on te handcuffs what a surprise. Suss indeed.

yeah, some of the evidence handling appeared to leave a little to be desired, as did the crime scene investigating/search.

Too bad Johnny Cochran is dead.
frown.gif

would the investigation be "sus" if he was a "lebbo"?

also what's this "mandatory life sentence" stuff? don't they have rope down under?

jus funnin ya guys, don't know anything about the trial

Boy? Boy? Why, I oughta....
Next time you call a boy, there better be one around.
Oh. Sorry. I was momentarily overwhelmed by some weird kind of osmotic transfer of something.
I'm not really bad, but those who are tend to leave me alone.
shocked.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back