Cosby Allegations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Guilt caused Cosby to be Mr Perfect.

That was my psychological theory applied to this: It is compensation. And it gives him a way to hide inside his reputation as a stand-up guy (no pun intended). By all accounts, like on his Huxtable tv show, he treated most everybody really well. Smart person. Yet, he has this lurking criminal insanity that is hard to understand. Too strange.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette
How much more "benefit of the doubt" are we going to give this guy.
At this point, David Sweat gets more ben-o'-the-doubt than Cosby. He lost me after victim #20 came forward. They say they are now up to 48 named people. And more might be on the way, especially with the new Quualude admission by Cosby, could embolden more to come forward. Of course, now some might come forward in a band-wagon mob mentality, a few sickos.

Bill Cosby was kind of a TV hero for me. I am old enough to remember the 'I Spy' series with the stars Robert Culp (I think was the name of the white actor) and Bill Cosby. 'I Spy' was actually considered a pioneering TV series because of a white and black actor starring together and acting together.

Cosby became a bigger star over the years than Culp. I was very impressed with Cosby for several years.

Well, over the past few years all of this stuff has been coming out. Cosby is of course innocent unless and until proven guilty.

My personal opinion is that Cosby is probably guilty. Something like 40+ women have come forward. Based on what I know about women I doubt that many women would come forward with allegations against Cosby unless they were telling the truth. Sure, there may be a few women that just are out for money or publicity or revenge in some way or whatever, but I just do not think that many women would accuse a man unless most of them were probably telling the truth.

In addition, Cosby actually has made some statements in court that are very [censored] of him.

Once again, a person is innocent unless and until proven guilty. But my best guess at this time is that he is guilty. And if he is guilty, he loses my respect. And I respected Cosby very, very much.

Bigger question: Why did Cosby admit he bought quaaludes in 2005 in the deposition just revealed? Did he screw up? Why didn't he just lie and say "no"? His lawyer wished he would have.

Time for the folks in this thread who were defending Cos, putting the word rape in quotes, etc to come back and account for themselves. Man up fellas, you know who you are.

I'm sure we'll just get a talking to about innocent until proven guilty. Well, the proof's here.

jeff

Originally Posted By: greenjp
Time for the folks in this thread who were defending Cos, putting the word rape in quotes, etc to come back and account for themselves. Man up fellas, you know who you are.

I'm sure we'll just get a talking to about innocent until proven guilty. Well, the proof's here.

jeff

Something here is strange. He never just 'confesses' this stuff. How come he admitted it? Why not just continue to say what he has always said which is "no I didn't".?

One thing that is sad is that it depends on if the accused in a big Hollywood star or on the political beliefs of accused on whether there will be aggressive prosecution of the accused or not.

On many college campuses today a man accused of sexual assault is basically considered guilty unless and until proven innocent.

Cosby is a big Hollywood star and he may escape any serious prosecution. And for sure many of the alleged assaults took place a long time ago. But if he really did sexually assault so many women, I think he deserves prosecution. I don't think somebody should be above the law just because they are a celebrity.

I don't care whether he's guilty or not; when the first allegations surfaced I said that the circumstances had the earmarks of a shakedown. Twenty year old allegations being pursued for civil damages always give me pause. This time it looks like the perp actually was/is guilty. That said, I will always look askance at cases where the "victim" hires a celebrity lawyer to seek financial damages against an extremely wealthy individual- when the wrongful conduct went unreported decades ago(at the time it allegedly occurred).

jeff

I'm one of the guys who believe "innocent until proven guilty".

Until yesterday there wasn't concrete evidence that he'd done what some women accused him that last few months.

jeff

I am here. I have still not heard proof he drugged and raped these women. Do I find it more probable/believable now after this confession of his? Yes.

However, where in the confession did he say he actually did drug and rape women? He didn't that I know of. So we still don't know it is true. Just looks worse for him.

If tons of women start coming out NOW and maiking claims we can almost guarantee they are after money though.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Bill Cosby was kind of a TV hero for me. I am old enough to remember the 'I Spy' series with the stars Robert Culp (I think was the name of the white actor) and Bill Cosby. 'I Spy' was actually considered a pioneering TV series because of a white and black actor starring together and acting together.

Cosby became a bigger star over the years than Culp. I was very impressed with Cosby for several years.

Well, over the past few years all of this stuff has been coming out. Cosby is of course innocent unless and until proven guilty.

My personal opinion is that Cosby is probably guilty. Something like 40+ women have come forward. Based on what I know about women I doubt that many women would come forward with allegations against Cosby unless they were telling the truth. Sure, there may be a few women that just are out for money or publicity or revenge in some way or whatever, but I just do not think that many women would accuse a man unless most of them were probably telling the truth.

In addition, Cosby actually has made some statements in court that are very [censored] of him.

Once again, a person is innocent unless and until proven guilty. But my best guess at this time is that he is guilty. And if he is guilty, he loses my respect. And I respected Cosby very, very much.

I too grew up with "I Spy," Cosby and Robert Culp, whom I also respected quite a bit; he was a good actor, a solid writer, and did everything he could to help Cosby along at a time when Cosby was only a stand-up comedian, and had never done any serious acting. As for BC, one of the first albums I bought was his "Why Is There Air?" comedy album, and I can still quote bits from it.

I don't know what to think of this. The sheer numbers of women coming forward who can no longer profit by naming him . . . well, it doesn't look good.

I'm glad Mr. Culp isn't around to see this.

Originally Posted By: Benzadmiral

I don't know what to think of this. The sheer numbers of women coming forward who can no longer profit by naming him . . . well, it doesn't look good.

I'm glad Mr. Culp isn't around to see this.

Actually, women can profit even more from a claim now that he has given them some ammo to use against him whether it means he did or did not actually drug and rape anyone. Civil law suits don't require the burden of proof to the levels criminal cases do. They now have him admitting to buying drugs used for rape. Even if he never used them for that purpose it won't matter.

If he didn't actually do this he has just shot himself in the foot. The way our media is in this country, and the way people are so quick to believe claims made without actual proof, means the Cos' is in for a rough time now.

As I have said all along on this I want to see hard, cold, facts and real proof. I still haven't see any however this recent info does make Cosby more likely to lose a civil case. It is nothing in a criminal one IMO.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what "proof" you're after. Opinions (and indeed court cases) are often settled with something short of prima facie evidence. People typically use a preponderance of evidence approach to forming opinions, in this case by the time there were a half dozen accusations and the corroborating evidence from his former assistant it was pretty clear what the truth was. If this latest news isn't enough to convince you, what would?

Many of you guys are hung up on the amount of time it took for them to surface (being ignorant, willfully or not, of what would have been involved in the 70s and 80s for a young girl to make such allegations against Cosby), the fact that he's rich (if a rich dude did something awful to me you better believe I'd be going after his money!), and general suspicion of rape accusations. That's all causing you to set a much higher bar for this subject that I suspect you use for others.

jeff

I'm not sure what "proof" you're after. Opinions (and indeed court cases) are often settled with something short of prima facie evidence. People typically use a preponderance of evidence approach to forming opinions, in this case by the time there were a half dozen accusations and the corroborating evidence from his former assistant it was pretty clear what the truth was. If this latest news isn't enough to convince you, what would?

Many of you guys are hung up on the amount of time it took for them to surface (being ignorant, willfully or not, of what would have been involved in the 70s and 80s for a young girl to make such allegations against Cosby), the fact that he's rich (if a rich dude did something awful to me you better believe I'd be going after his money!), and general suspicion of rape accusations. That's all causing you to set a much higher bar for this subject that I suspect you use for others.

jeff

The same proof I would want if you were being accused of these things. DNA evidence, hospital reports, Police reports, eye witnesses, video evidence, etc... He said/she said does not cut it for me with allegations of rape. I don't care when a woman grew up and/or had the alleged attack take place nor do I care who the alleged perp is. Those are excuses IMHO. If she decided to stay silent then she needs to live with that decision. Coming out about it decades later, following claims by others, applies a certain stink to it that can't be ignored. Show me something concrete and I will consider the claims. Just saying he did such and such to me but I couldn't say anything about it because of who he was or the time does not cut it with me. If you can't stand up for yourself in a time like that don't expect me to fight for you.

If a criminal case is settled without real evidence then it is a travesty of justice and should not stand. Convicting on circumstantial evidence doesn't cut it for me. Show me facts and hard proof someone did something if you want a guilty verdict from me. If someone is convicted without that real concrete proof then it tells me the jury and/or judge allowed emotion to sway their decision and that is not how it works in this country( or how it is supposed to work ). Civil cases have a lower burden of proof( I don't think that is right FWIW )and I have said he now faces problems in a civil case. I don't see where his admission allows for any criminal case if the statue of limitations has not expired on any of the claims against him though.

I would rather 10,000 guilty men go free than to have 1 innocent man go to jail. I don't think celebrities should be given any more benefit of the doubt than a regular citizen. However, with that said, I can't help be mindful of the fact that they are targets in our society for greedy folks seeing them as an easy meal ticket. That has to play into it to some degree when a celebrity is involved IMO.

Last edited:
If this latest news isn't enough to convince you, what would?

A jury conviction. Innocent until proven guilty, or we might as well return to mob rule.

The jury likely will have access to more info than what we will get out of the news. Plus it will be there job to sort through all if the evidence.

I will say, this latest info is rather [censored]. It does not look good for the Cos.

All the more reason to not put people up on pedestals. They have a nasty habit of falling down, and often of their own accord.

Originally Posted By: Joshua_Skinner
Originally Posted By: pbm
Originally Posted By: pbm
I still think there is something to these claims.
I just can't imagine so many unrelated woman lying.

Looks like I may have been right afterall....

Cosby in a stand-up routine made jokes about drugging women. One written account by an alleged victim stated that she would have willingly slept with him, but that he drugged her anyway. Her belief is that he enjoys raping women and I believe that.

So why are so many people willing to believe him instead of her and her and her x18? Do you not understand the power dynamic at work?

Sexism. Most men will believe that she ("they", in this case) "deserved" it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back