Awkward family reunions ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My sixth sense tells me the girl is a sociopath. Not something you can blame the parents for.

Sociopaths are made, not born. You don't bring children into the world and abuse them. Except when the parents were abused... See the vicious circle growing

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
That is one wildly different story than the OP. Shockingly different in so many ways. I assume the local one is accurate and the OP link is "fake news", but wow...

Wait a minute, so who said that's a daughter and a dad? She is so dumb if she was dropped off at HER RESIDENCE after an armed robbery. And those 2 other teens, how would they believe that he would go home and give them more money?

My suspicion is that the guy is a sugar daddy and they though he wouldn't call cops on them because of that.

Originally Posted By: thooks
Not surprising. I don't know what the answer is for the problems that are being raised in this country today, but we better figure it out. It certainly isn't going to cure itself. IMO, it's time to quit being a country of pansies and get tough on crime. We have a huge group running around in this country whining about a crooked justice system. That's just talking points they get from their candied internet lieutenants.

The girl is 17. She is a minor. The parents should be held 100% responsible. You can see that they aren't.

Oh yeah, this thread won't last long....another reason why this country is like it is. People are scared of hearing the truth....

17 yrs old is an adult in Texas, she goes to big girl jail.

Very interested in how the OP drew out those potential conclusions, while as an experienced LEO verifying the veracity of the news that he quoted.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/02/20/tex...her-friend.html
Here's the updated storyline.
Anytime I link a major story like this, I always double check a second source. But if they all have the wrong facts based on a flawed initial report, they will all carry that same error forward, so double checking does not eliminate the potential for errors in news links. I assure you this morning, several separate news agencies had the "father" as the car-jack victim. It is not "fake" news. It was incorrect news, but not "fake". So don't let that get out of hand. My assessment was slightly different this morning than it is now, because the facts have changed. But only slightly.

Yes, part of the story originally was wrong. But the corrected story really isn't much better. She set up her friend to be robbed instead of her dad. That's still maniacal in my view. That only makes it slightly less appalling. A tiny bit less. Sort of ...

And she's still not stressed at all; she saw this coming when she was arrested. I still suspect it's not her first rodeo. No crying; no denial. So matter of fact for her to be in cuffs. And (what I presume to be her father in the video; guy with gray hair) didn't flinch when she was arrested right in front of him; probably not the first time he's had problems with her.

Further, I don't blame parents without knowing the circumstances at home. Perhaps she's had free rein and not been held accountable? We don't know. OTOH, I know many parents that try their hardest to give kids a good, fair, strong up-bringing. But it's hard for parents to compete against youtube videos, gangsta rap, incipient electronic text messages at every turn, computer tech far surpassing what most adults can handle, etc. Some parents are to blame. But not all. There are also times when multiple kids raised in the same household will turn out completely different; one a dream, the other a nightmare. All raised in the same environment. As long as parents TRY HARD to do the right things, I don't blame them. If they acquiesce and feign control, that's when they are culpable.

Last edited:
The "fake news" comment was meant to be a joke by the way....I saw it was wrong and then corrected.

I am just amazed at just how wrong they got the story in the first place and how they could've possibly gathered that incorrect story line from what actually happened.

Originally Posted By: MotoTribologist
The "fake news" comment was meant to be a joke by the way....I saw it was wrong and then corrected.

I am just amazed at just how wrong they got the story in the first place and how they could've possibly gathered that incorrect story line from what actually happened.

The problem is that, "fake news" aside, too many news and other 'journalistic' organizations just lack the diligence and integrity to really verify the details in their stories nowadays... Case in point:

Scientific journal publishes paper based on awful Star Trek Voyager episode

... Having said that, I'm not saying they're all bad.. just that there seems to be a lot more shoddy journalism out there. Maybe it's the same as it always was, we just have better access to it now than we used to.

Originally Posted By: andyd
My sixth sense tells me the girl is a sociopath. Not something you can blame the parents for.

Sociopaths are made, not born. You don't bring children into the world and abuse them. Except when the parents were abused... See the vicious circle growing

I remember from college Psychology that Sociopaths, Pysopaths, etc have a strong genetic component.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/antisocial-personality-disorder (Antisocial Personality Disorder is the new name)

Quote:
While the exact causes of this disorder are unknown, both environmental and genetic factors have been implicated. Genetic factors are suspected since the incidence of antisocial behavior is higher in people with an antisocial biological parent. Environmental factors may also be blamed, however, as a person whose role model had antisocial tendencies is more likely to develop them.

Some people just have bad genes.

It's also interesting just how wrong this story was when originally published.

Last edited:
Yes - it's really becoming a story within a story.
One is about the girl, the other about the horrid initial reporting.

I apologize for starting the thread speaking of the father being involved, but in my own defense, it was on several reasonably credible news outlets initially this morning. Fox, NBC, etc all had it. Now they have all had to update the story since then.

Typically the way these news stories get picked up used to be via the AP or UPI, and those agencies had (past tense) some fairly decent credibility. Now, news stories are electronically uploaded in a second, with little fact checking. Does not make it "fake", but certainly subject to error.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back