AZ manager says synthetic kills old engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by vvk:
Also, if you look at oil analysis results, you will see that non-synthetics clearly produce lower wear.

I did a search in the UOA forum. Among people with naturally aspirated Subaru engines, there were 8 people who ran synthetic and 1 who ran conventional. Three of the synthetic users had high wear. The other six oilers did not.

So, 3/8 versus 0/1. I need to see more data.

quote:

Originally posted by MisterBrian:

quote:

Also, if you look at oil analysis results, you will see that non-synthetics clearly produce lower wear.

I did a search in the UOA forum. Among people with naturally aspirated Subaru engines, there were 8 people who ran synthetic and 1 who ran conventional. Three of the synthetic users had high wear. The other six oilers did not.

Look harder. There are many more on this forum alone.

My wife did a statistics term paper on this subject about 2 years ago. She had plenty of data -- more than enough. It was a graduate level course.

quote:

Subaru specifically prohibited using synthetic in their engines until only a few years ago when they finally reluctantly allowed it.

Uh... We've currently got 7 Subarus in the family fleet, the oldest being two '97s. The 'fleet' has also included an '88, two '89s, a '92, and a '99 that we don't have anymore. I've never seen mention of this prohibition, and in fact, all except the '88, one of the '99s, and the '00 have had syn in them more often than not or exclusively. Since it's not in my owners manuals, I say it doesn't exist. Due to the extra heat, I'd say the turbo's and the H6 would BENEFIT from syn, but I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so what do I know.

Dave

quote:

quote:

Originally posted by MisterBrian:

quote:

Look harder. There are many more on this forum alone.

My wife did a statistics term paper on this subject about 2 years ago. She had plenty of data -- more than enough. It was a graduate level course.

There is a winter bias to synthetic use, since it offers better cold weather performance. Winter causes more wear, due to more severe cold starts. Did she correct for this?

That would dislodge all sorts of goop. I know that in older VW microbuses, there was no oil filter, just a screen, and the engine was designed for use with non-detergent oil. Rizzo

How far back are you talking? I had VW buses from 59 to 79 and they all speced detergent oil, 30 for average use and 20 for winter use and 40 for hot summer use. As late as 79 VW encouraged the use of detergent single wieght oil. In my last bus a 79 Camper, I used Mobil One and it used less oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back