Average age of vehicles is up&up

I know COVID related crunch aided the already existing trend, but I think durability is a constantly increasing variable, despite the ever growing complexity

Average car is 13.5 years old, which means a lot are older than that, yet are still maintainable to be driven!

IMG_5420.jpg

Also relevant 😁
IMG_5421.jpg

This trend will continue.. Why? Because the prices of new cars are getting insane. But isn't it interesting that the Big 3 auto manufacturers recorded record profits? hmm.. sounds like someone is just trying to increase their profit margins..

but.. with some insane auto dealers promoting a 10 year financing plan.. um, what?! That's ridiculous and beyond comprehension. So of course people are going to keep the older cars and repair them.. but you watch someone in govt who is in the belief that everyone needs to drive an EV or die.. Will introduce some bureaucratic rules that outlaws older cars, no matter if they do not pollute..

But hey what do I know.. I'm just a peanut in the peanut gallery! 🤪

with some insane auto dealers promoting a 10 year financing plan

I’m not defending the concepts — it’s actually the first time I hear of 10 year financing — but, just quick thoughts aloud: if an average car today is nearly 14 years old, chances are today’s new purchase will be capable of being on the road 20 years later, so… Maybe, again — I don’t know — the idea is not that empty of reason?

I’m think about mobile phones… they cost 3 times what they used ($400 in early 2010s vs $1,200 today), but the contemporary ones last and are usable longer. My phone is 5 years and works just fine, just the battery is weaker. It still gets OS and security updates!

I'm pretty sure it's just returning to mean. Cash for clunkers and unsustainable 2008 recession rates really chopped the average age down for a decade. The average age being under 10 is an insane stat even for a first world country. 13.5 years is still an insane number.

Ironically I'm headed towards not wanting to own a car for "too long". Last car I got rid of, at 11 years of age, stuff was falling off. A dust shield around a caliper fell off due to rust. Easy grand to have that replaced. Exhaust system was not far behind. Living in the rust belt, oh what fun. I bet if one were to map average age by state there'd be quite a swing.

My '99 is tossing a cat code P0420 now. Don't have to fix, but, I just had the exhaust welded up, and the shop said there wasn't much left to weld. Wonder what an entire exhaust system costs? no, I don't want to know right now.

That chart tracks YouTube growth. I think availability of how to videos is to blame!

In all seriousness, availability of parts, tools, and information. Plus most repairs are brakes, sensors, suspension parts. Longer lasting and easier to repair.

In New England average age gets tough as they rot away.

One of the cars in my household was acquired new in mid west and spent 6 years of its life there. During the winter roads are salted there to death. So for the winter I’d subscribe to unlimited drive through car washes for about $40/month and used it nearly daily before returning home in the evening. The bottom of that car does have some minor patina, but otherwise looks not too far off brand new

I'm pretty sure it's just returning to mean. Cash for clunkers and unsustainable 2008 recession rates really chopped the average age down for a decade. The average age being under 10 is an insane stat even for a first world country. 13.5 years is still an insane number.
All the cars that qualified under that program would be in the junkyard by now.

Bought two vehicles in the last year-

2020 F150 Lariat (4WD) w/26,000 miles with the 3.5 EcoBoost
2022 Highlander XLE w/8000miles on it
Not that much pain due to sky high resale values on the trade ins.
Yes-it can be done.

Last edited:
It's hard to say what is causing it. Probably a variety of factors. For me at least, I started driving a lot less due to working from home so having a newer car for myself became of much less value. I may upgrade incrementally over time but I'm fairly unlikely to buy something much less than 10 years old for me going forward. It is pretty nice only paying for gas, insurance, and occasional repairs.

Back