Auto-RX Results - first cleaning cycle (not good)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who really knows what will clean until it has been tried.

Maybe Artem only needs to run one OCI of Mobil 1, Extended Performance to thoroughly clean up any stain or varnish.

We have all heard the claims made by the major oil companies on the cleaning ability of their oils.

Time will tell....which product will do the best job on cleaning his engine down to a spotless bare metal.

Color of used oil has the same validity as the smoke show of Seafoam i.e. we do not know if the color change is because of the chemical reaction or is it really leeching the carbon off the engine. This is very similar to the belief that smoke show off Seafoam is nothing but burning off of the Seafoam itself.

Personally I do not agree with the above analysis and do believe otherwise but I can not dismiss it completely.

- Vikas

All I can relay and post are my own observations from using Kreen. BTW...this was the first time I used any kind of engine cleaner.

On the first oil change after using Kreen, on a high speed run for over 1K miles, the contents of the oil filter caught my attention. The remains of the oil and Kreen, after looking and spilling out the contents of the Bosch D+, oversized oil filter, was the consistency of a very watery "Pudding" or "Jello" that fell out of the filter in a "Plop".

I really don't think that this was a chemical reaction of the oil to Kreen but rather the dirt, carbon and varnish that was trapped in the filter. The sump drained with a fury when the drain plug was removed and the contents were black like carbon, and a watery flow. The engine was very hot, I might add, when the oil was changed on both runs.

The second run of Kreen....I did not have the build up in the filter and the oil, when drained, from the pan came out very brown....but I could see through it like I was wearing brown sunglasses. No foreign matter to speak of was in the drained oil as I watched the stream of oil go into the catch pan.....just a light thin oil.

Last edited:
It could have loosened some gunk from an area, perhaps a return passage or area of low flow.

Someone mentioned after using kreen, they could add more volume to the sump again?

Yes, Jim that was me that posted that I could add more oil.

Prior to using Kreen....I could use 6 quarts of oil with an oversized oil filter and reach the full level. Now, after using Kreen, I can use 6.5 quarts with an oversized filter. So it did some real cleaning to open up some areas that needed cleaning.

....lol...or else Kreen wore down the metal in the engine so much with it's cleaning that I could another 1/2 quart...lol

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Color of used oil has the same validity as the smoke show of Seafoam i.e. we do not know if the color change is because of the chemical reaction or is it really leeching the carbon off the engine. This is very similar to the belief that smoke show off Seafoam is nothing but burning off of the Seafoam itself.

Personally I do not agree with the above analysis and do believe otherwise but I can not dismiss it completely.

- Vikas

I am always amazed at the comments here about color, smell, feel, etc. I am sure we must have at least one member who TASTES it too!

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I am always amazed at the comments here about color, smell, feel, etc. I am sure we must have at least one member who TASTES it too!

I'm amazed that an engine could have half a quart of contaminants in the bottom of the pan....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I read so many people commenting about how well (PU) cleans..... (it)....would be a great test too.

There. Fixed it for you.
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Is there a thread on bitog that has documented proof of an oil additive that actually cleaned up varnish? That has clear before and after pics of the engine.

I think people have some threads like that in their minds. Never seen one here in 10 years.

I highly doubt PU, or any other pure engine oil outta the bottle, will be able to clean this up. PU might work well @ keeping engines clean but to say that it will clean up sludge, etc is hard to believe for me.

The Camry has been running on Mobil 1 it's whole life. OCIs were 3k on the dot during the first 5-7 years of it's life @ a minimum. After that, OCIs ranged from 3-5k up until now. (It would take a year to rack up 3k during a few years when it saw little use)

This is a sludge engine so i'm sure it's hard on the oil and i think the oil has done a good job at keeping it clean. The engine has never seen dino oil until i started this cleaning cycle with A-RX and put in PYB.

I got nothing better to do and pulling the front valve cover off for pictures literally takes me 3 mins with power tools. I don't mind pulling the cover @ every OC to inspect if any cleaning up of the discoloration i have going on.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Who really knows what will clean until it has been tried.

Maybe Artem only needs to run one OCI of Mobil 1, Extended Performance to thoroughly clean up any stain or varnish.

We have all heard the claims made by the major oil companies on the cleaning ability of their oils.

Time will tell....which product will do the best job on cleaning his engine down to a spotless bare metal.

The engine has seen M1 EP for thousands of miles prior to me switching to Amsoil. I doubt your average oil will clean up anything.

First off....who said the contaminants were in the bottom of the pan? I never said that Kreen found all of the contaminant in the bottom of the pan! So now you see....your the one who likes to "twist words" and has trouble reading what is posted.

All I can say is what was trapped in the oversized Bosch D+ on the first run of Kreen and what drained out of the sump after that 1st run of high speed, highway driving for over 1K miles in 3 days with Kreen in my oil.

I know for a fact what my fill up of oil was when I replaced the oil..... and put on an Oversized Mobil 1 209 with Strauss Auto Full Synthetic oil 6.5 quart fill up.

If you don't want to believe what I posted...then fine....but it's the truth.

Originally Posted By: TooManyWheels
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

I'm amazed that an engine could have half a quart of contaminants in the bottom of the pan....

Last edited:
IMHO...I think that if the test is performed with Kreen.....the results will be outstanding!

I've seen what has come out of my engine, that I thought was spotless with good maintenance. After two doses of Kreen and judging from the color of the oil changed and filters changed,as I documented in the Kreen thread, there is no doubt in my mind that the cleaning done by Kreen was outstanding.

Without looking at the engine with the valve covers off, I can only surmise that the first dose did the actual cleaning and the second dose any additional cleaning and varnish removal.

I also have a Toyota engine....around the same period as Artem's, and I bet he will be spotless if he runs Kreen for 1K or more.

If I'm wrong.....then I've put my foot in my mouth. I can only express and post what I've seen come out of the sump on my 1997 T4R and collected in the removed oil filters. My vehicle has lived it's life mostly on Dino and Dino/Synthetic blends and not full synthetic or boutique oils.

I shall give Kreen a shot after a rinse cycle post A-RX.

I have a 1,000 mile business trip coming up this Monday. I'm going to leave the A-RX in and drain it after the trip. It will have close to 4,000 miles on it by then.

I'll refill with more PYB and do a rinse cycle of 1,000 miles before removing the valve cover for pictures before draining the oil and adding Kreen with a fresh fill... Does that sound like a good plan?

First off....who said the contaminants were in the bottom of the pan? I never said that Kreen found all of the contaminant in the bottom of the pan! So now you see....your the one who likes to "twist words" and has trouble reading what is posted.

All I can say is what was trapped in the oversized Bosch D+ on the first run of Kreen and what drained out of the sump after that 1st run of high speed, highway driving for over 1K miles in 3 days with Kreen in my oil.

I know for a fact what my fill up of oil was when I replaced the oil..... and put on an Oversized Mobil 1 209 with Strauss Auto Full Synthetic oil 6.5 quart fill up.

If you don't want to believe what I posted...then fine....but it's the truth.

What do you think the dipstick is measuring, if not the contents of the pan? If the dipstick works differently in your engine I would be very interested in the explanation.

P.S. If you want to assert that the contaminants were on the SIDES of the pan, I won't quibble.

Artem...That sounds like a great plan. Finish the Auto RX phase and then continue on with your outlined plans.

I'm sure that you'll have something good to report to all after you've finished.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Artem

I have a 1,000 mile business trip coming up this Monday. I'm going to leave the A-RX in and drain it after the trip. It will have close to 4,000 miles on it by then.

I'll refill with more PYB and do a rinse cycle of 1,000 miles before removing the valve cover for pictures before draining the oil and adding Kreen with a fresh fill... Does that sound like a good plan?

Sounds like a great plan, but I would give A-Rx a fair shot and do the 3000 mile rinse as per their directions. This way we can see how well A-Rx does for you w/o any assistance from another product. The reason I say this is, if you pop the VC after a 1000 miles you're cutting the A-Rx rinse short by 2000 miles, A-Rx is supposed to work its magic during the rinse. Lets see what A-Rx does or doesn't do, then let Kreen finish up what was left over.

BTW-Extending the A-Rx clean phase by 1000 miles should be a plus for A-Rx.

I agree with Demarpaint. Do 3k miles rinse phase per A-RX direction, otherwise you can not say either A-RX didn't work or Kreen works.

Sounds like a great plan, but I would give A-Rx a fair shot and do the 3000 mile rinse as per their directions. This way we can see how well A-Rx does for you w/o any assistance from another product. The reason I say this is, if you pop the VC after a 1000 miles you're cutting the A-Rx rinse short by 2000 miles, A-Rx is supposed to work its magic during the rinse. Lets see what A-Rx does or doesn't do, then let Kreen finish up what was left over.

BTW-Extending the A-Rx clean phase by 1000 miles should be a plus for A-Rx.

I feel that the reason they recommend a 3k rinse cycle is simply not to dump perfectly good oil after say a 1k rinse. Since they recommend conventional oil during the cleaning / rinse phase, after 3k it's pretty much ready to come out (assuming the engine was dirty during the cleaning phase)

From the email i got from the A-RX rep i'm talking too, it sounded like A-RX clings to the metal and that after it washes off during the rinse cycle, it should expose cleaner metal underneath.

I'll crack open the valve cover after 1k and take a look see.

I'm also very temped to change the oil and start the rinse cycle NOW. That way i can get back from my trip and remove the valve cover to see the results of a quick rinse. Oh decisions, decisions... what to do...?
coffee2.gif

Their directions have changed a few times since I used the product. All the magic was supposed to happen during the "3000 mile rinse phase", at least that's what I was told. If you deviate from their directions, you'll leave the door wide open if you know what I mean. LOL That's why I made the suggestion. I look forward to your results, enjoy the trip.

Alright, i'll stick to the 3k rinse and hope for some decent results, for A-RX's sake.

Alright, i'll stick to the 3k rinse and hope for some decent results, for A-RX's sake.

LOL don't let me sway you, but if you did post less than stellar results with only a 1000 mile rinse you know exactly where this thread is headed. This way everything is fair and the product was used as per the directions.

LOL don't let me sway you, but if you did post less than stellar results with only a 1000 mile rinse you know exactly where this thread is headed. This way everything is fair and the product was used as per the directions.

In that case, i should change the oil in the AM and start the rinse phase with a nice long 1k trip of nonstop driving.
thumbsup2.gif
A-RX has a good 2,700 miles on it now. Close enough, right?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back