Auto-Rx mixed with other products.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
The darkening of the oil could also be the result of the additive burning up and thus fouling the oil.

Again all the mystery around ARX is offputting compared to alternatives like MMO (Infusion of light penetrating lubricants), or Seafoam(Mild solvent flush) or Rislone (Slow cleaner?) etc. Heck for the cost of one ARX treatment you could do a complete oil change with synthetic oil (if you buy the oil/filter on sale)

As far as your 1st statement, I have a hard time with the thought of the additive burning up and fouling the oil, my observations from draining the oil show me that the dark color is liquified carbon or grime that the oil additive released from the inside of the engine.

As far as your 2nd statement, I agree with you in the sense that we are all free to choose what oil additive we want to buy and put in our engines.

I am surprised we are not talking more about Schaeffer's Neutra which is an oil additive that has been shown to clean up the grime in an engine. All of the old posts in this oil additive section have been favorable about this product.

Originally Posted By: c3po
As far as number 3, if you have been using a certain oil additive for 24,000 miles or so and you decide to put in another oil additive and you notice:

1) Engine runs better
2) Oil drained is darker

Then you may come to either 2 conclusions:

1) The 2nd oil additive is better than the 1st oil additive
2) They are both working great together, kind of like a synergistic affect

3) As you continue to use the two together the darkening fades which suggests the darkening is only a temporary condition.

Did I guess right?

MMO is going to be compatible with most everything else since its basicly light lubricating oils, solvents and a very small amount of chlorinated solvents + oil of wintergreen. So it's just not based on a chemistry that interacts with other stuff.

IMHO the problem with ARX is cost. For the same price as an ARX treatment I can get 5quarts of valvoline + oil filter on sale at autozone (or whatever synthetic they have on sale that month). Or for much less than that, you could buy a quart of MMO/Rislone.

And a smoker could buy half a carton of cigarettes and a drinker probably a 1/2 gallon of cheaper vodka. I don't see how either of them would be related to the cost of 5 quarts of Valvoline and a filter either.
54.gif

As for the Rislone or MMO, one would have to state that you think that they accomplish the same thing as Auto-Rx ..for the comparable cost of Auto-Rx.

I can probably have a dandy night at the movies for the cost of Auto-Rx too.

If you see what I'm saying
grin2.gif
I can't see why I would make a choice of buying Auto-Rx or buying a synthetic oil change. If I need to use Auto-Rx ..an oil change is probably going to fall way short of my sensible needs.

My attitude is: You just plunked down money on a product proven time and time again to work safely and very effectively by itself, AS LONG AS IT HAS TIME TO WORK!!!

Yes, other additives are proven to do some of the same thing. Maybe it's my youth showing, but I've seen photos of what ARX does, and not what MMO does for the same application.

Having just purchased 3 more bottles of ARX, I won't get to see firsthand the effects of MMO as an engine flush for quite some time. Love MMO in the gas, though!

Yes, ARX is costly per bottle. However, if you want a sure and safe engine clean, as well as a decrease in gas consumption (0.05 gallons/hour in my Buick when running a maintenance dose), it does the job quite well.

Plus you can leave it in for an entire OCI, something I haven't heard of with other products.

Originally Posted By: severach
Originally Posted By: c3po
As far as number 3, if you have been using a certain oil additive for 24,000 miles or so and you decide to put in another oil additive and you notice:

1) Engine runs better
2) Oil drained is darker

Then you may come to either 2 conclusions:

1) The 2nd oil additive is better than the 1st oil additive
2) They are both working great together, kind of like a synergistic affect

3) As you continue to use the two together the darkening fades which suggests the darkening is only a temporary condition.

Did I guess right?

Yes, you have guessed right, I am now 7000 miles into using both oil additives together, and now I am noticing less oil darkness in this 3rd oil change with both products, this could mean that both products are finally at the end of cleaning everything out. My engine seems to be running great with both oil additives in there.

I wanted too also say that I did do 3 Clean and Rinses with arx, and I did a few oil change intervals with the Maintenance Dose of arx. I did this for 24,000 miles, I think I gave arx alot of miles by itself. I have looked at old posts in the oil additive section and there were alot of people that only did 1 or 2 Clean and Rinses, and then they gave up.

I will continue too use both additives together because I think they are both working well together and if something works then I am going too stick with it.

Well, I just use MMO but if somebody's getting results with a hybrid MMORx treatment, more power to them. It's no different than not following the ARx instructions to the letter, IMO.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
And a smoker could buy half a carton of cigarettes and a drinker probably a 1/2 gallon of cheaper vodka. I don't see how either of them would be related to the cost of 5 quarts of Valvoline and a filter either.
54.gif

As for the Rislone or MMO, one would have to state that you think that they accomplish the same thing as Auto-Rx ..for the comparable cost of Auto-Rx.

I think a quart of Rislone/MMO on a 3000mi oil change will acomplish as much or more than ARX will in the same time frame.

AFAIK one ARX treatment costs as much a complete oil change with fresh synthetic oil, which will have substantial cleaning ability and better lubrication than the conventional oil + ARX combo. As best I can tell ARX is expensive for what you get, and you can get the same effect cheaper and with less effort using other products.

Maybe we need to examine why arx is so expensive, I found this information on the arx website.

ARX is processed and bottled in MICHIGAN, then it is sent too Florida, and from there it is shipped too the customer. It seems this product is double shipped which adds to the price of arx, maybe the stuff would be cheaper if it was shipped from Michigan too the customer.

My other thought is the raw materials used too make arx, if you are making alot of product like Risolone or Neutra then the raw materials are cheaper. Of course if you are making less product then the raw materials are more expensive.

The biggest ingredient is going to be lubricating oil base stock which is a commodity product you can purchase by the rail car.

Additive chemistries are a known product which you can buy from Lubrizol, Ashland, Baker Hughes, Chevron etc. Also a rail car type product.

Originally Posted By: pickled
ARX...supporting jobs across America!

Hopefully we can keep comments like these too ourselves and use this section too talk about oil additives. I can understand that we all have different opinions about arx, but cheap shots about certain oil additives should not be tolerated since it gets us off topic and it can also lead too unecessary arguments.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
54.gif

I think a quart of Rislone/MMO on a 3000mi oil change will acomplish as much or more than ARX will in the same time frame.

AFAIK one ARX treatment costs as much a complete oil change with fresh synthetic oil, which will have substantial cleaning ability and better lubrication than the conventional oil + ARX combo. As best I can tell ARX is expensive for what you get, and you can get the same effect cheaper and with less effort using other products.

I totally disagree ..and from a substantial trail of various products before using Auto-Rx. Granted this was in 2002-3 maybe ..but MMO, M1, Rislone (I think) and Gunk engine flush didn't touch my issue. Auto-Rx did it the first time.

What you state is opinion, am I correct? So it's entirely possible that you're just plain dead wrong, right? For all you know you've only had marginal issues that the agents you used happened to fix them ..or you were so good ..and your engines so well designed that you never had any.

The biggest ingredient is going to be lubricating oil base stock which is a commodity product you can purchase by the rail car.

Additive chemistries are a known product which you can buy from Lubrizol, Ashland, Baker Hughes, Chevron etc. Also a rail car type product.

What are you referring to? I hope it's not Auto-Rx. That's 3 costly esters. No "filler" unless polyol ester is "filler" in your mind.

This is somewhat amusing ..the level of conviction you have on this topic and about this product. I really wonder ...

Me? No mystery whatsoever. I've worked with Frank ..talked to him ..bought from him ..etc..etc..etc.

Hmm..Ashland Eagle 1 ..Valvoline ...
grin2.gif

Just saying that if it is touched in MI and in FL (2 states really hurting) the product's current manufacturing strategy, as you alluded to earlier, is good for the economic well being of those specific economies. Now back to efficacy. I have nothing to report back on it's unmixed performance in my Rubicon after 2600 miles. The slight rear main leak is still just that. No funny noises, no clogged filters and no super dark oil...it's in there doing its thing I suppose.

Auto-RX is a good product but our sponsors have excellent products also. I buy from one of our sponsors and I am pleased with the results. In the future Please discuss the products. Each member is entitled to their opinion as to what is the best product for them to use. We are not here to insult another member concerning their choice of additives. That will result in a locked thread and possibly a banned member.

Helen

Combining ARX with an additive containing solvents such as mineral spirits, stoddard solvent, aliphatic distillates, or what ever you would like to call them makes no sense to me. For one reason these solvents are not compatable with ARX. It can be proven real quick, just attempt to add a bit of mineral spirits to ARX and see. Can you hide a little of both in a 5 quart sump, probably so.

But on the one hand you have ARX designed to clean while maintaining host oil integrety with respect to viscocity spec and ARX ingredients attempting to create a uniform film of lubricant on say the cyclinder walls while cleaning friction points from deposits. I ask why would you add a product on top that has mineral spirit like components that are doing the exact opposite.

In my estimation, if you are a fan of each product, it would be best, or at least possibly more effect to use the solvent laiden product at the tail end of the rinse phase, if at all.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
I like Helen's idea. Just use a sponsor product instead. That way you don't have to worry about this kind of stuff.

There is such a product and it is called Neutra, it is made by Schaeffer's which is a sponsor on this board. I was reading a very interesting thread on page 218 in the oil additive section.

The title of the thread is called STARTLING NEUTRA OIL FLUSH RESULTS. I encourage anyone here who is thinking about using an oil additive too clean up there engine too check out this wonderful thread about Neutra.

Wow back from a short vacation and some things don't change. LOL

On a side note I had instructed my son to add 1 qt of MMO to his BMW 323i about a month ago upon returning from deployment. He drained a qt of oil added the MMO and is shouting from the roof tops how well his BMW is running. For him to comment, I was very impressed. From what I could see from removing the oil fill cap the engine looks nice and clean up top, with about 112,000 miles on it.

This Neutra sounds very interesting too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back