Auto-Rx Froze during transmission application

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJ

It didn't get near 30 degrees today,but without thinking of this low temperature affect on pouring RX,started the 6 oz. transmission application..I did run some hot water over the bottle and had one of those long plastic flexible funnels that you could put your liquid in then when ready,turn on to start the flow..Well you guessed it,after a initial flow,the RX got tight like Maple Syrup on a winter New England morning and stopped..Lucky if got a few ounces in the transmission. Not wishing to waste any,but even when not frozen it does cling to it's container..Next few days will be above freezing and remaining RX is left in the funnel and thought would pour 4-5 oz.transmission fluid in funnel to mix both materials for better flow,then finish application.

Question:Its a 94 honda and manual calls for Honda or equivalent Dexron II type ATF.I have some Dexron III and I know the previous owner had it flushed few years ago,so do you think the Dexron III would be OK? Thought please..Thanks

I've had Auto-Rx get clumpy on me before, but I didn't have to deal with 30 deg temps.

If I were you, I'd only use Honda ATF because of the Z1 additive. Dex III is suitable, but Honda/Acura's finicky auto trannies perform much better with the Honda ATF.

I think your best bet is to bring the AutoRx and the funnel inside and get it good and warm by soaking it in some HOT water for 10 mins or so. It should then pour easily down thru the funnel into the trans. Of course I would also make sure the trans is good and warm also so that a cold dipstick tube doesn't cause the Autorx to get lethargic again.

DEWFPO

Honda transmissions are the only case I know of where Dexron III is not backward compatible with Dexron II.

I'd use either Honda ATF or Dexron III plus Lubegard HFM black bottle supplement (which is what I put into the family fleet Hondas).

Ken

EJ, do not install any substance in your machines unless it is pouring properly. Auto-Rx must be >50F or 15 C before installation. The RX website makes it clear and we have discussed that issue alot here.

After installation the RX needs to be mixed with the host lube too so the cold can not affect it.

Learning and relearning is a issue every winter season.. Enjoy the RX !

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terry,

Now,I'm paranoid..With the initial few oz. I got into the transmission and being cold,did I do any harm..To do this right,I have no idea what to do now

Don't be worried.

Drive the car and mix it in.Once mixed you will not have cold ops issues. With the really cold weather issues in NA in the past few days this is bound to come up.

Get the rest of the product installed after warming it properly and don't diddle around and allow it to get thick again.

EJ your welcome, the connection here in Zurich,Switzerland is really fast ! Time to go to bed...

EJ, I just saved the empty bottles until July, and then let the remaining contents drain into my lawn mower one hot day. That way, I didn't waste a drop.

Thanks guys for the help and advice.Just thought,I do have one of those small heater fans and with a extension cord and not only having a warm engine,but allowing the hot air blow over the application funnel should help the flow...Greencrew,yes its hard to get every drop of the Auto-X out and not to waste any,your idea sounds good

RE the AT fluid question, I understand that it's important to use Honda ATF. AT failure problems on Hondas have been related to other AT fluids that weren't right. This is the one case where you really do need to use the OEM fluid.

Did you get a weird whine after starting up the next day? Thats what I got on my auto. I think the screens in the trans stink, and the auto rx is sort of thick, and its starving the pump for me. On a steep hill test staying in 4th , the torque converter did not want to lock back up, argh!

You know what I did? I ran fluid with a bunch of lube control, and slow by slow the whine started to go away! I think for serviceable filters auto rx is cool, but since hondas cant remove em, it will cause problems if/when they clog up. Lube control seems more hardcore on gunk, dissolving it faster perhaps. After all, we have seen the filter pics of an auto-rx'ed engine and it was full of crud, so what says these crappy honda screens dont get plugged?

Also, I dont have a problem with the super tech dex3 even! It runs fine now that the whine has gone.

No,did not have any noises or a whine.I believe the previous owner had it flushed in early 2002 and fluid seems clean.With 165,000,the transmission as before still acts and shifts very smoothly

Oh,forgot,the funnel first used had a screen(DUH) therefore,the rx being thick and weather cold,stopped flow no matter what I did and after getting another funnel,the flow after warming the bottle,was fine.Also,after the recommended 1,500 miles,the place I'm using to flush tansmission,uses Honda ATF fluid.

EJ

sign me up for the 'tried to pour frozen autorx into a/t with a cold funnel that also has a mesh screen at the bottom.'

bad idea.
rested the frozen funnel (has a open/shut valve at bottom) on rad hose for 1/2 hr. and it warmed up enough to pour back in.

smartened up for car#2 and put the bottle in scalding hot water for 10 minutes.

you learn every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back