Auto-Rx & MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started using auto-rx in my oil at 343,000 miles, and up until 367,000 miles doing 3 Clean and Rinses followed by the Maintenance dose of arx I went through 22 oil filters in that 24,000 mile span, so I know auto-rx works.

I was talking with a member on here who told me he did auto-rx on his 1988 Ford Van and the only thing arx did was slow down a rear main seal leak, he told me that while doing a Clean and Rinse his oil came out normal and that his oil filters were light as a feather, I said, how can this be, he told me he used MMO in his oil 500 miles before an oil change, I was skeptical, I could not find anyone having any problems with MMO by searching the net. I talked with my Dad's friend who was UPS mechanic from 1960-1998, he said he had been using it since 1955 with no problems.

I went ahead and added 12 ounces 500 miles before my oil change, as soon as I put it in the oil and drove out of the driveway I felt a difference. The car was just flat out more responsive. I changed the oil 500 miles later and it came out very dark. I changed the oil and took the car for a drive, it did not feel as responsive so I added 8 ounces of MMO with the Maintenance dose of arx. One thing that was odd was that when I changed the oil the drain plug magnet was spotless, with just auto-rx in there as a dose there was some goo.

I had always had a problem with the number 1 cylinder fouling spark plugs even after putting in new valve seals, when I put MMO in the oil this stopped, I have had the same spark plug in there now for 6 months and I checked it yesterday and it was spotless.

I still think auto-rx did a good job but, I started this process at 343,000 miles, at 330,000 miles me and a buddy changed my oil pump and it took awhile for the engine too build up pressure, he told me that I had some junk in there. MMO has now stopped my lifter tick, auto-rx would probably have eventually done this, who knows.

Back in 1999 I changed my intake manifold that had the EGR provision and the EGR port in the manifold was stopped up with carbon, I did a GM Top Engine Clean and fogged up the neighborhood, I did another top clean a year later, and nothing, of course I had put on an intake with no EGR provision.

I can also say that for many years I ran a 180 thermostat and for the last year I have been running a 195 thermostat, the valve seals were replaced at 350,000 miles and who knows if the old valve seals had me gaining more crud.

I still like auto-rx but my engine with a carburetor is alot different than the vast majority of fuel injected engines that run cleaner.

I also have to give some credit too Johnny, the retired Pennzoil guy who turned me onto Pennzoil Platinum, I have noticed that the oil has come out darker.

So I am running 5 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 with 1 quart of MMO and 4 ounces of auto-rx.

I have Pmed many people on here who know what I am doing and many of them are doing the same thing, there are quite a few auto-rx users who are putting in a pint or so 500 miles before there oil change.

I am no longer getting involved in any fights on this board because all I care about is what is best for my engine. I feel that with both auto-rx and MMO in the engine it is like having Batman and Superman working too clean things up.

I Pmed Helen too get her permission and I caution everyone that she will be keeping an eye on things.

I will give some final thoughts, I cannot say that auto-rx is better than MMO in the engine, but I think both products together in the engine make each other better.

Auto-rx did a fantastic job of cleaning my:

1) Differential
2) Transmission
3) Powersteering

I now have 372,000 miles on the El Camino, so I have been cleaning this engine for 29,000 miles. The only reason I tried MMO in the engine was because of what a member on here told me.

Lets keep any discussion civil.

You're using MMO and arx and you like them, good deal.

Maybe it's the PP that's doing some of the cleaning?
21.gif

What are the price points for MMO? I recently purchased LC and Fuel Power plus in quarts to do some maintenance on a new to me 01 sunfire for a good price. ARX may be the best in heavy sludge applications.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

You're using MMO and arx and you like them, good deal.

Maybe it's the PP that's doing some of the cleaning?
21.gif

I definetly have to give the Pennzoil Platinum some credit here, I have absolutely no complaints about this oil and I will continue too use it.

I have used Auto-RX 3 times in my current vehicle, a 99SL2 Saturn. I like the product, but for me, did not lower oil consumption. I also have used LC20 in between Auto-RX, and religiously used FP60 etc. for years. Now, I have 24 oz of MMO in my crankcase for the past 3 weeks that I will be changing soon. Oil is getting dirty quicker. Engine is running noticeably smooth. I put put around town and seem to have more low end power. Maybe it is the MMO thinning the Mobil 1 0w-40 in the crankcase. Next oil change I am going to do a short OCI with 1 quart of MMO and 3 quarts of oil. I would also like to have my oil tested just to see what happens with that combination. I am using 4 quarts oil per 3,000 miles and am hoping to see a change in that. Marvel Mystery Oil has a nice forum with a lot of info on use and recommends using it every oil change (of coarse, they sell more product). I have not found evidence of MMO causing engine damage. Just the opposite. I got similar idea to reduce oil consumption after a member at Saturnfansforums replaced 2 quarts of oil with Dex III and ran it for a while and eliminated their heavy oil consumption. Maybe that works, but there is not much info on the internet on people who have used this as a cleaning method. I am choosing MMO since it has a long track record with positive results and is cheap (less than $4.00 a quart at Wal-Mart). Thanks for sharing c3po!

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
I have used Auto-RX 3 times in my current vehicle, a 99SL2 Saturn. I like the product, but for me, did not lower oil consumption. I also have used LC20 in between Auto-RX, and religiously used FP60 etc. for years. Now, I have 24 oz of MMO in my crankcase for the past 3 weeks that I will be changing soon. Oil is getting dirty quicker. Engine is running noticeably smooth. I put put around town and seem to have more low end power. Maybe it is the MMO thinning the Mobil 1 0w-40 in the crankcase. Next oil change I am going to do a short OCI with 1 quart of MMO and 3 quarts of oil. I would also like to have my oil tested just to see what happens with that combination. I am using 4 quarts oil per 3,000 miles and am hoping to see a change in that. Marvel Mystery Oil has a nice forum with a lot of info on use and recommends using it every oil change (of coarse, they sell more product). I have not found evidence of MMO causing engine damage. Just the opposite. I got similar idea to reduce oil consumption after a member at Saturnfansforums replaced 2 quarts of oil with Dex III and ran it for a while and eliminated their heavy oil consumption. Maybe that works, but there is not much info on the internet on people who have used this as a cleaning method. I am choosing MMO since it has a long track record with positive results and is cheap (less than $4.00 a quart at Wal-Mart). Thanks for sharing c3po!

Excellent post C3! MMO has some very good qualities and the price is very reasonable. I do believe WalMart still carries it for just a few bucks.

I like your Batman and Superman analogy, and ARX in a transmission is something I would actually try.

Thanks C3!
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
I believe Wal-Mart sells a quart of MMO for about $3.50 plus tax.

I have also noticed my oil darken sooner, also this product called MMO has been around since 1923, it was used by the military, and I have a feeling that it thins the oil a little bit which probably helps clean out your engine a little bit better.

I have been doing this MMO with auto-rx now for about 5200 miles.

I have used Auto-Rx in a few vehicles with excellent results, but this MMO has really peaked my interest lately.

I have recently started adding it to my fuel and my daily driver has never run as smooth, quiet and responsive. Plus my exhaust pipe is very clean and I have seen mileage increases.

My oil which I just changed today came out very dark and almost like diesel oil which the ARX never did as much. This is not to say that ARX didn't work, but the MMO I think is definitely doing its share of cleaning.

I'm mailing a UOA tomorrow (Monday) to Terry to see what effect the MMO has on my fuel and if it is positive and shows cleaning was happening then I will be adding it to my oil next.

I'm also working with Terry to find out the true composition of MMO as there may be some ester use which may be contributing to the cleaning that is going on, if any.

Wow nice post c3po my father has sworn that MMO rules for many, many years. It cleans engines, fuel systems and is one of the best top oils around. Now not to knock A-rX but MMO for $4/ qt is a great deal. An Internet buddy thinks that A-rX works well, but sometimes teaming up with another chemical is the ticket to getting a job done well. He told me a story or removing paint, and certain paint removers get 75% of the job done and stop, introducing a different chemistry gets the job done 95%. Maybe what we're seeing here is just that, 95% success!

I was also told MMO removes junk in layers, or levels, top, middle, and the varnish at the bottom. Pick your poison, glad to see MMO is getting credit where credit is due! MMO alone has worked wonders too in cleaning an engine. Looks like the fan base is growning, its all good!

AD

This member here who turned me onto MMO told me that back in the late 1980's he was in the mountains of upstate N.Y. in the wintertime and it was like -10 degrees below 0, he had some MMO in his oil which was the 5W-30 grade and his cousin just had the 5W-30 oil in his engine, NO MMO in his engine, the engine that had MMO in it started up like it was a summer day out whereas the other car was hard starting and rough running until it warmed up.

I have also noticed that my car runs smooth on initial startup with the MMO in there, remember I have a carburetor.

I am on the Rinse Phase of auto-rx in my Marauder and when I added 8 ounces of MMO I noticed that I gained 1 m.p.g. in fuel economy.

I know someone is going too come along and say that what I am doing is not approved per the auto-rx instructions, but there are many auto-rx users who do not follow the instructions.

I felt I had too post about this becuase there are so many members that I have corresponded with via PM who know what I am doing, and I figured everytone would find out eventually.

I also wanted too wait awhile and see how this MMO was doing in the oil with auto-rx before posting.

Experiments are good, fear not. There are critics everywhere, you're telling the truth based on your experiences, and if MMO worked for you along with A-rX, then so be it. The purpose of this board is to share info, and if someone finds something that worked slightly out of the box it's all good. If it isn't approved who cares? Approved by who????????????????????

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Experiments are good, fear not. There are critics everywhere, you're telling the truth based on your experiences, and if MMO worked for you along with A-rX, then so be it. The purpose of this board is to share info, and if someone finds something that worked slightly out of the box it's all good. If it isn't approved who cares? Approved by who????????????????????

AD

Exactly, I am sharing my experiences and observations and that is what matters too me.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1

AD
+1
thumbsup2.gif

What year is the El Camino. Also that's a lot of miles. What oil was use prior. Are you the original owner and if not when did you own it.

Is this your daily driver and how many miles per yearly.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I'm mailing a UOA tomorrow (Monday) to Terry to see what effect the MMO has on my fuel and if it is positive and shows cleaning was happening then I will be adding it to my oil next.

I'm also working with Terry to find out the true composition of MMO as there may be some ester use which may be contributing to the cleaning that is going on, if any.

If Frank were here he would say that ARX drives the MMO to the filter, so you are just wasting your money...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mamala Bay
What year is the El Camino. Also that's a lot of miles. What oil was use prior. Are you the original owner and if not when did you own it.

Is this your daily driver and how many miles per yearly.

This El Camino is a 1983 model that I bought back in 1985 with 25,000 miles on it.

At 1st I used Valvoline Dino oil and then at 50,000 miles I went to Mobil 1, and then at 200,000 miles I went to Amsoil, and I was with Amsoil right up until 343,000 miles.

I probably put on between 14,000 and 15,000 miles a year.

Up until December 2006 this was my only car, I have another car but I drive the El Camino as much as I can.

Adding MMO to fuel has very little coorelation to adding MMO to the oil sump. I would suspect hat some combustion chamber cleaning may occur from the fuel side, at a cost to fuel economy, while installed.

CPO3, from a cleaning perspective, after 10's off fouled filters running ARX, how many more fowled filters have you experienced?

Originally Posted By: Rick20
Adding MMO to fuel has very little coorelation to adding MMO to the oil sump. I would suspect hat some combustion chamber cleaning may occur from the fuel side, at a cost to fuel economy, while installed.

CPO3, from a cleaning perspective, after 10's off fouled filters running ARX, how many more fowled filters have you experienced?

Rick20, you have got too check your spelling.

MMO in the fuel at the proper dose is not going too affect fuel economy, it can only help it buy lubing the entire fuel system.

I picked up 2 m.p.g. on my Marauder that is fuel injected, MMO keeps the fuel injectors free of carbon.

Because it lubes the fuel system the spark plugs stay cleaner so you have better combustion, it probably lubes the valves and it leaves a coating on the cylinders.

My carburetor on the El Camino runs fantastic and the car starts right up with NO puffs of smoke.

Since I have added MMO too the oil I have not had any oil filter issues, my feeling is that the auto-rx MMO mix thins the junk in the engine so the oil filter does not get plugged up.

On one oil change I did add some MMO with no maintenance Dose of auto-rx and I noticed the car did not run as well so I added 4 ounces of auto-rx and the car ran better. This engine just seems to LOVE auto-rx and MMO in there, and when a maintenance dose of auto-rx is not in there it is not happy.

I know you are going to say that MMO thins the oil since it is a 5W, but I am running 5W-30 Pennzoil Platinum, before I was running 10W-30 PP with a maintenance dose of auto-rx, I decided to try 5W-30 PP with a maintenance dose of auto-rx and the engine liked the thinner oil.

Rick, have you used MMO in your fuel, look at the posts in the fuel additive section, my Marauder felt quicker after my 3rd tank with a maintenance dose of MMO in the fuel.

I really do not see a problem adding MMO too the oil with auto-rx since I did get a PM from someone who talked to Frank and he said it was o.k. too use Schaeffer's 132 with auto-rx in the oil.

Isn't Schaeffer's 132 kind of an engine cleaner even though it does have some moly in it, I read that the Schaeffer's 132 frees up sticky rings and lifters.

We must realize that my engine with a carburetor is out of the norm since most of the cars on here are fuel injected and run much cleaner than a carburated engine.

I changed the oil filter on my Marauder yesterday, I am 2000 miles into the Rinse Phase, it has 8 ounces of MMO in the oil, I did not notice anything because auto-rx had already cleaned everything, so I would not recommend my experiment on a newer car.

I might only recommend this on a very high mileage engine that was neglected or on a car with a carburetor. I was on LS1.com and the guy from airflowresearch who has looked at many cylinder heads posted that the heads on the fuel injected motors were much cleaner than the ones on carburated engines.

My only goal is to get this engine clean, and all of the fouled oil filter's with auto-rx in the engine before MMO was added proves that auto-rx does work, I am sticking with my observation that by adding MMO to the mix that it speeds up the process.

Originally Posted By: Rick20

Not sure if I read this right, but MMO in the fuel didn't cost me any economy. Slight gains are what I've seen, along with a lot of other guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back