Auto-Rx & MMO

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and
were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades.

Originally Posted By: TurboJim
As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and
were at least moderately useful on older automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more efficient engine designs of the past two decades.

If that is the case, then why would we need arx or any other oil additive, if engines are so efficient we could just do away with the oil additive section, but this is not the case even today with motors that are sludge prone, and we know which ones are.

I will not believe any statements from arx unless I can see 3rd party tests and we can all check the data and come too our own conclusions, without tests your statements mean nothing too me.

Last edited:
Brent,
Help me understand something in your comments below you stated that you recieved 24 free bottles of ARX and you purchased 24 bottles of ARX but yet your comments you made ARX sound good. Perhaps the comments about MMO were made to sound good also. Where are you coming from please let us know.
dbdeland

I just thought it would be nice to give auto-rx credit since Frank was nice enough too give me a free case of arx, that's 24 bottles guys.

Of course I turned around and bought 24 bottles from Frank and he added in 6 more bottles, so you can see that with 30 free bottles of arx I made auto-rx sound good but I kind of left out the MMO part, gives Frank's hatred of MMO

Last edited:
Having chatted with Brent via PM, I think he discovered that MMO worked better for him than 3 treatments of A-rX did. IIRC brent tested A-rX in small engine applications and tested MMO as well and found it to work better. Keep in mind Brent is a new MMO user, prior to using MMO he used A-rX. People change their minds after experimenting and coming to their own conclusions. The world changes everyday, so do people and their views, especially when they try something else. He is sharing his feelings. At the time he use A-rX he did see some improvement, but now he found something (HE) feels works better and is sharing the info. I think what he did by stating his views took some balls, I respect that.

Brent please correct me if I am wrong.

AD

Frank, if you are discrediting MMO then you are discrediting your own product, look at my original post on here and the one you posted, I started adding MMO at 367,000 miles, in the post you put up you have me at 372,000 miles, I said the engine has been running fantastic in the last 5000 miles, correct.

372,000 minus 5000 = 367,000 miles that's when I started using MMO in the oil.

You gave me 24 bottles of arx for free and since you did that I turned around and bought a case and you threw in 6 more bottles for free.

All I am doing here is posting my observations.

I had to address this too Frank because this is what Frank wrote guys.

Frank stop attacking people and show us some facts that your product is the best oil additive out there, we want 3rd party tests, which will be expensive. Frank do what is best for your customers for a change.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I remember when ARX was a sponsor, it was considered "un-holly" to mention other additives with ARX, so perhaps that's why c3po did not mention MMO?

Seems the same now as well.

AD

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I remember when ARX was a sponsor, it was considered "un-holly" to mention other additives with ARX, so perhaps that's why c3po did not mention MMO?

Seems the same now as well.

AD

OK, one thing I noticed as an observer about ARX (I have been reading oil additive section since about 2005, so I've seen all the praise and hype about ARX that was sweeping through this forum), I have not used any oil additives and certainly never used ARX, but if I was looking for one, and in a hypothetical situation someone showed me posts just from users like c3po and others, even the ones that did not have success with ARX, I would be sold on ARX.

But if someone just showed me posts from Frank and other people affiliated with ARX I would have a hard time believing in all the "wonderful" properties of ARX, as in their mind the product is perfect, their cleaning process is perfect and their general attitude towards products that compete with ARX. I remember someone calling ARX an "additive" and was basically jumped by Frank and others for using the "dirty" word. If that was the case I most certainly would not buy ARX.

Take it for what it is, these are just my own observations, but I think ARX people are their own worst enemy and their attitude hurts the product image, not the people who bought it and did not get expected results, and shared their experiences on this board. I cannot recall a post not recommending or calling ARX "junk" even if it did not work for that person, so I seriously do not undersdand the negative attitude coming from ARX people towards constructive critisism
54.gif

Last edited:
Just based on the drama in this thread, I would never want to try ARX. ARX should take the higher road, like Mobil1, and let the product speak for itself.
If ARX is not to be mixed with any other additives, what about add packs in the oil? Every grade of every brand has a different additive package.
Are we to use ARX with 50 weight straight oil only (I assume 50w is the equivalent weight of oil in a printing press)? / sarcasm off.

Last edited:
Quote:
If ARX is not to be mixed with any other additives, what about add packs in the oil? Every grade of every brand has a different additive package.

That is an excellent question.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dbdeland
Brent,
This is my post I am not trying to discredit any additive just get the facts which you are having a hard time posting them.

Daryl, it certainly looks like you are trying too discredit me, which means you are trying to discredit MMO.

Frank is selling us a product and he needs to show us facts but he cannot because he has not done any tests, he has relied on many users of the product to do there own tests. It is remarkable that the arx applications are always changing, now the Fast Track application is actually the original application when arx came out.

I believe the transmssion application calls for leaving arx in for 1000 miles, I asked Frank if I could leave it in longer, his response was I guees so. I kept it in for 3000 miles, this shows me that you have not done any testing.

It is amazing that arx jumps into every oil additive post and tells us solvents are bad, where is the proof that they are bad for our engines.

I am not selling any product here, so I cannot give you facts, all I can give you are observations and when you discredit my observations by what I have done with putting MMO in with arx you are discrediting my observations with arx in there.

I see nothing that says anything on the front or back of the bottle that says you should not mix arx with any other oil additive.

Daryl I have been around this arx product for 2 years and I have spoken too you many times, you are a wonderful guy too talk with but I know Frank is telling you what too say.

I will post my observations again if I have not done already:

I pour a pint of MMO in 500 miles before my oil change, the car is more responsive, and it is smoother, I drain the oil 500 miles later and it comes out darker and there is no goo on the drain plug magnet.

If everyone here would like I can take pictures of my valvetrain with a digital camera that my neighbor has, but he only knows how to send it out in an e-mail, if someone could PM me and tell me how to post the pictures of the valvetrain on here I would appreciate it, if you do not want pics that is fine.

It would be pretty interesting to see photographs of two engines known to be sludged up and dirty before and after using Auto-RX in one engine and MMO in the other. And maybe throw in a car or tuck with a known dirty engine and see before and after photographs after a few oil changes with Mobil 1 High Mileage oil.

While that would be a great idea. The flip side would be each engine would have to be identical right down to how many ounces of sludge they contained. If not we'd hear complaints!

AD

I still have 2 bottles of ARX, and plan to use them when the engine hits 100,000. The car responds as well now as it did when I bought it, and AFAIK the M54 isn't a sludger. But it won't hurt to use them. (Figure a 7500mi clean and a 7500mi rinse.)

I used the other three in the Camaro. I can't say it for certain that it did any good, probably because I didn't really need it. But it certainly did no harm.

But after those bottles are gone, I'll never use it again. Why?
MMO is easier to get. It is far cheaper. It's more flexible. (Oil and gas use.) AFAIK, the instructions on use haven't changed.

And more important, to me anyway, MMO can stand on it's own. I don't see it's makers or users attacking ARX, but rather the opposite.

Both have good track records, but only one is having a snit.

I think there is one big difference between MMO and Auto-RX that has not been discussed - MMO "dissolves" sludge, carbon, and varnish (LC20 does this too, but not as well IMHO) while Auto-RX "loosens" sludge and carbon (little to no effect on varnish as witnessed by many).

For my money, I would rather have a product that dissolves and keeps in suspension all those contaminants until an oil change rather than have a product that loosens them to float through the oil system, hoping it does not clog any oil passages, until such time as it is caught by the oil filter (which in time it clogs it too, requiring replacement).

There is another member on here that had turbo issues (burnt up) when using Auto-RX, likely through loosening the crud (instead of dissolving it) and it clogging the turbo's oil passages. While this is part speculation on my part, I can sure see how this could easily happen to a turbo or any other small oil passages - toasted main bearings anyone?

This said - I think in most instances Auto-RX will help, but there are more risks with it's use than MMO IMHO.

Debate away.

I agree with your statement from my observations, arx loaded up my oil filters, I went through 22 oil filters in 24,000 miles.

Since using MMO, I have not had one clogged up oil filter, my observations tell me that MMO is dissolving the crud more so it does not stop up the oil filter. My thoughts on this are that MMO is helping arx out.

I have to agree as well from what I saw and from what my father had said. I think Jax nailed it.

AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back