auto rx, dirty in pan but clean on dipstick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, well let me update you guys.

i have a 1986 300zx with some sludge..oil never been changed for a year or so. so i tried auto rx (4 months ago) but i never got more than 15 miles in 5 months. well in the last week i put over 400 miles on the car .now that 600 miles have gone i just want to change the oil.

i took a look at the dipstick and its pretty clean..slightly brown...but then i drained a little oil into a clear cup and it came out black!

could all of the sludge dissolved and accumulated to the bottom...is this why i see clean oil on the dipstick...i know this sucker got cleaned though..inside most of the sludge is gone...

i just want to know how is this happening...curiosity..this car itself is a suspision...

excuse the spelling.

what do u mean it wont hold in suspension? well i never checked right after the car is driven...the dipstick is super hot cause its by the headers.

perhaps that there was alot of sludge on the bottom and it degraded that sludge...i looked at my dipstick and its dark brown...eqivalent to a car with 3k miles on it. guess im color blind =)

quote:

Originally posted by digitaldrifter91:
what do u mean it wont hold in suspension? well i never checked right after the car is driven...the dipstick is super hot cause its by the headers.

I mean, by the time the car has sat awhile, the sludge has settled to the bottom of the pan and your dipstick won't reach it. Don't know if this is the case, but it's an idea.
dunno.gif

I just drained my '92 SL2 Saturn (186,000 miles) after the first Auto-Rx treatment.

First, this is an engine that had a minor rebuild a year ago. I replaced the head, piston rings, connecting rod bearings, timing chain, etc., so all the "visible" engine areas were cleaned at that time. There was no visible sludge, excepting the typical Saturn "sludged" oil rings (this is a problem with all Saturns), present at the time of the rebuild.

The drained oil was as black as I have ever seen oil come from any car I have ever owned. I opened the oil filter, but there was nothing noteworthy about anything inside there, which does not surprise me considering the history of this engine. But, I am convinced the Auto-Rx treatment was worth the time and expense.

[ July 13, 2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: HarleyDude ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back