Audi 3.0L TFSI (2013 Audi S4) oil choices in Canada

Why wouldn't it be equal or better than the old one?

The spec sheet is the same between the 2015 one and 2020, but the 2020 don't have A40 anymore. It's probably just a marketing gimmick or Shell not paying for the test any more.
You are the one that claimed it was improved, I'm simply asking how you arrived at that conclusion. Now you are saying you think it's the same, based on the spec sheet, so if it's the same, then it clearly isn't improved.

Are there any SP oils that also have A40? I wonder if it is even possible.
Yes, their 5w-40 for example:
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 2.54.01 PM.jpg

You are the one that claimed it was improved, I'm simply asking how you arrived at that conclusion. Now you are saying you think it's the same, based on the spec sheet, so if it's the same, then it clearly isn't improved.
What I was trying to say at first is since the formulation seems to be identical or close to, except for the fact that the new one is now API SP instead of API SN, and for the fact that they are supposed to improve the oil with each revisions, not regress, then I can safely assume the new formulation is better than the old one, no matter if A40 is on it or not.

Anyway, as I see it, between all these oils we are splitting hair. I bought 3 jugs so that's good for my next 2 oil changes. Next spring if the result is not what I expected then I'll go back to another.

Last edited:
What I was trying to say at first is since the formulation seems to be identical or close to, except for the fact that the new one is now API SP instead of API SN, and for the fact that they are supposed to improve the oil with each revisions, not regress, then I can safely assume the new formulation is better than the old one, no matter if A40 is on it or not.

Anyway, as I see it, between all these oils we are splitting hair. I bought 3 jugs so that's good for my next 2 oil changes. Next spring if the result is not what I expected then I'll go back to another.
The Euro approvals are typically significantly more demanding than the API ones, which is why Euro lubes oft lag on getting more recent API ones and some of them never even bother getting them. The API limits on additives has resulted in many xW-30 lubes not progressing beyond API SL (if they carry the API approval at all), which isn't a big deal, since none of the Euro marques call for API approvals in the first place.

The foundation for the Euro approvals are ACEA, upon which most of the OEM approvals are based, with their own tests, limits...etc.

If you watched the recent Engineering Explained video that featured some testing information from XOM, you'll notice that with API SP, the reduced the viscosity increase due to oxidation limit from 150% to 100%, while Mobil limits themselves to 10% for M1 and 5% for M1 EP. That's the kind of chasm that can exist between the API testing limits, and higher tier oils. Ergo, it's not surprising that a formula wouldn't require any changes to move on to SP from SN Plus if it already met more demanding OEM approvals in the first place. Mobil has often been way ahead of the curve in that regard, but that may also be the case for this lubricant, being a Euro-style 0w-40, it may have required no changes to meet SP. It may also have failed A40 if Porsche updated the test protocol, but that would have zero bearing on the updated API approval.

I'm still unsure why you didn't just pick-up M1 0w-40, which, when on sale, is roughly the same price and has a laundry list of active approvals.

The Euro approvals are typically significantly more demanding than the API ones, which is why Euro lubes oft lag on getting more recent API ones and some of them never even bother getting them. The API limits on additives has resulted in many xW-30 lubes not progressing beyond API SL (if they carry the API approval at all), which isn't a big deal, since none of the Euro marques call for API approvals in the first place.

The foundation for the Euro approvals are ACEA, upon which most of the OEM approvals are based, with their own tests, limits...etc.

If you watched the recent Engineering Explained video that featured some testing information from XOM, you'll notice that with API SP, the reduced the viscosity increase due to oxidation limit from 150% to 100%, while Mobil limits themselves to 10% for M1 and 5% for M1 EP. That's the kind of chasm that can exist between the API testing limits, and higher tier oils. Ergo, it's not surprising that a formula wouldn't require any changes to move on to SP from SN Plus if it already met more demanding OEM approvals in the first place. Mobil has often been way ahead of the curve in that regard, but that may also be the case for this lubricant, being a Euro-style 0w-40, it may have required no changes to meet SP. It may also have failed A40 if Porsche updated the test protocol, but that would have zero bearing on the updated API approval.

I'm still unsure why you didn't just pick-up M1 0w-40, which, when on sale, is roughly the same price and has a laundry list of active approvals.
Alright alright I'll return the Motomaster and wait for next Mobil 1 sale. I still have half a jug left from a few years ago. I'll use it on the next oil change.

Back