Anyone with electric mower

I've considered one for our small back yard area where the dog is. It's 48x48 with some stuff in it. Too big for the riding mower - tried that when the B&S powered mower died over the summer.

Gas powered lawnmowers are free. I don't think I have paid for one yet. A smaller one would be pretty much ideal for the small fenced in area. But as long as I can keep getting free gas mowers ...

I know what you are thinking. But consider nearby running aircraft regularly fill the hangars with exhaust. The gas blower is no prob. Furthermore, the Stihl BG86 I use for North County hangar in FL has a catalytic converter. It really is a NON ISSUE.

The North County hangar is too large for an electric blower, and the FL sand is difficult for an electric blower to deal with. The EGO and Kobalt battery blowers are just good enough for our "T" hangars. They do struggle with sand and run time, but can generally finish the job.
Are the models with the “c” at the end the ones with the catalysts?

I sold my BG86 over the weekend. Never did like it. Mom and dad have a BG85 that could’ve ran circles around this thing. Anyways, the buyer said the 86c was the next model up. Never heard of it, plus the model is the engine size. The next size up is a backpack blower IIRC.

From a purely mower vs mower comparison, the EGO and Ryobi mowers are much more appealing to me than any gas mower. Just not having to deal with gas and oil is great, and they're easily as powerful as a gas mower.
Looking at it from a green standpoint, well, it's not so clear. If you know the chemistry that goes into the batteries, then you know that making the batteries produces far more pollution than running the gas mower for several years. Same with cars, and that doesn't even take into consideration the millions of batteries that will be put in the trash and end up in landfills.
I know the politicians like to bloviate about how much better electric is, but it simply is not true. Maybe someday, but not in the near future. EVERYTHING that humans do impacts the planet and just as producing energy will always cause pollution, you can only change the amount and kind.

How are you liking your decision?

Pros and Cons please

Have a toro model from 2003 and it just quit on me this morning...Trying to decide if i should flip over to cordless mower. Was looking at the EGO from lowes for 500 or i can get a toro with a honda motor for 370.00.
My neighbors ego caught fire in his background last year. Glad it didn't take out the neighborhood. Unfortunately he purchased a new one but they completely changed the blade mounting holes making it non compatible with earlier mowers.

My neighbors ego caught fire in his background last year. Glad it didn't take out the neighborhood. Unfortunately he purchased a new one but they completely changed the blade mounting holes making it non compatible with earlier mowers.
Back yard. It really isn't that great at cutting.

Are the models with the “c” at the end the ones with the catalysts?

I sold my BG86 over the weekend. Never did like it. Mom and dad have a BG85 that could’ve ran circles around this thing. Anyways, the buyer said the 86c was the next model up. Never heard of it, plus the model is the engine size. The next size up is a backpack blower IIRC.
Yes, the BG86 with the C has a catalytic muffler.

I have a BG86c for the hangar, and a standard BG86 at home. The home one got the muffler mod. Woke it right up! Nice little beastie with the mod.

Yes, the BG86 with the C has a catalytic muffler.

I have a BG86c for the hangar, and a standard BG86 at home. The home one got the muffler mod. Woke it right up! Nice little beastie with the mod.
Nice. I should have done the muffler mod. I sold mine because I didn’t use it and it was nothing like the BG85 my parents have.

Im all electric now minus the mower clearing the driveway.

Back