Anyone with electric mower

We bought the 80v Kobalt from Lowes couple months ago. I won't go back to a gas powered, just push the power button and go! The battery lasted 3.5 yard mows last time, technically 4 since I mowed the ally once. 2.5-3hrs total run time I think on one charge, to recharge took 1hr. Battery life will be vary based on your yard since the motor is variable speed. Lighter the yard, lower the speed and longer the charge. What's nice is the self-propelled works without the blade running. The mower itself is pretty light, in hindsight really didn't need the self-propelled.

I'm on my second corded electric mower. The last one worked well for ten years until the motor failed. The current one is on it's third year and also works well. Next time I plan to get the dual battery, dual bladed Greenworks mower unless something I like better comes along. I sharpen the blade once or twice a season and that is all the maintenance required. I have battery powered string trimmer and blower as well. I will never go back to noisy, annoying gas powered stuff.

Someone said cordless mowers were good as long as you don't have tall, heavy grass. Well, I gotta tell, you haven't used the EGO or Ryobi, (and I'm guessing some of the others too). I borrowed an EGO and have the previously mentioned Ryobi, and I can definitely tell you from experience, they WILL mow heavy grass just fine. Both of the ones I've used, have had as much or more power than gas powered mowers. These are not you grandfather's electric mowers,,,, not by a long shot.

Attachments

• ryobi-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-ry401130-64_1000.jpg
    ryobi-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-ry401130-64_1000.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 13
Someone said cordless mowers were good as long as you don't have tall, heavy grass. Well, I gotta tell, you haven't used the EGO or Ryobi, (and I'm guessing some of the others too). I borrowed an EGO and have the previously mentioned Ryobi, and I can definitely tell you from experience, they WILL mow heavy grass just fine. Both of the ones I've used, have had as much or more power than gas powered mowers. These are not you grandfather's electric mowers,,,, not by a long shot.

I haven't used any of the brand new mowers. I have seen videos on the Toro Recycler electric and it looks plenty powerful. I'd be interested in one of those.

If I lived on a smaller yard, I’d be comfortable enough to go electric. Ryobi makes it real attractive with offering so many accessories for their common batteries. As the batteries get bigger, so do the uses. Imagine the charger actually being a UPS for the kitchen fridge or computer - so even as it sits there it’s doing something useful. If the batt can mow a lawn, I’ll bet a dual-holster UPS could handle an intermittent-duty fridge for a couple of hours nicely.

m

I'd stick with gas. Less expensive, and I'd be willing to claim that a Toro with a Honda on top, if taken care of, will last infinitely longer than any electric/battery unit. What happened to your current mower?

Impulsive decision, I ended up returning the ryobi electric mower without even opening it and purchased a Honda HRN216VKA for 410.00

I don't know why i didn't try out the ryobi...Now i feel better lol

I hope the honda can give me 10 yrs of service.

honda 1.jpg

Last edited:
Have you noticed in just this little thread, how many cordless owners have said they wouldn't go back to gas? And this is only a very tiny number of people who use them.
As to the Kobalt, my brother had one fail, (don't know what the problem was, but seem to remember it wasn't battery related) and yes, Lowe's replaced the whole unit, batteries and all. Now that's standing behind your product.

Have you noticed in just this little thread, how many cordless owners have said they wouldn't go back to gas? And this is only a very tiny number of people who use them.
As to the Kobalt, my brother had one fail, (don't know what the problem was, but seem to remember it wasn't battery related) and yes, Lowe's replaced the whole unit, batteries and all. Now that's standing behind your product.

My father got a Greenworks battery powered mower and the thing was a total pile and the warranty was worthless, self propelled geartrain broke in about 3 months, charger went at 1.5 years, no parts were available to repair

My 21”self propelled 80v Atlas will mow 9,420 sf of lawn with heavy grass containing 2 batteries. One will be discharged and the other will be about 25%.

Last edited:
I have the ego second generation mower and it's awesome. It doesn't clog up in heavy or wet grass like my old Tecumseh Toro did. Battery life lasts me front and back and I still have enough energy left to blow the driveway. It does lack power on super heavy grass, but I hear the newer generation ego mower solved that. I own the trimmer, bower and edger and they're all pretty powerful. The backpack blower does lack the power of gasoline but I sure don't miss the smell of the old 2 stroke.

Looking at it from a "green" standpoint, I wonder if the electrical and battery needs associated with an E-mower make them more environmentally sound than gas powered equivalents?

Gas or diesel OPE engines toss out a ton of pollution per the relatively small amount of fuel they burn, but is is more pollution than E-mowers?

OTOH, for the homeowner who struggles with the needs of gas powered OPE, I get it. E-mowers must be very handy.

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I've bought two 21" gas powered mowers in the past 21yrs. One is a 1999 model year low-end Honda single speed self propelled with a GV OHC engine, the other is a 2011 model year Snapper commercial series 21 mulcher. I've never done anything to these mowers aside from very occasional oil and filter changes, yet they start in a few pulls at most. Both are extremely fuel efficient. I figure I mow under 1/3 of an acre and can mow twice on a tank of fuel and the tank on the briggs powered snapper is crazy small.

Really like my Atlas mower from Harbor Freight. It has good reviews and USA built.
This is my second using my Atlas mower and really like it .I purchased the the string trimmer also along with 2 batteries. I mow my yard and my neighbor's yard also probably a quarter acre . Well pleased with both

Have you noticed in just this little thread, how many cordless owners have said they wouldn't go back to gas?
Please don't take my post as "I'll never go back to gas".

The 60V 6AH Toro mower is fantastic, that's for sure, and it has great power, but the mower can't do hard work for very long. And the battery takes a long time to charge right after use. I use it as a finishing mower. It can do 1/4 acre if the grass is not tall. It is also, NOT FAST. Taking considerably more time to do the job than the Snapper or LawnBoy.

I have a 21 inch Snapper Commercial mower with Ninja blade, a LawnBoy 6.5HP silver series a GT235 garden tractor and the Toro 60V.

Here is the $1800 Toro commercial mower with 7.5AH battery: (it can do what any $199 mower can do)

Last edited:
Hmmm...exhaust fumes in a hanger. An actual medical reason for gong with an electric blower. That coupled with noise exposure.

I know what you are thinking. But consider nearby running aircraft regularly fill the hangars with exhaust. The gas blower is no prob. Furthermore, the Stihl BG86 I use for North County hangar in FL has a catalytic converter. It really is a NON ISSUE.

The North County hangar is too large for an electric blower, and the FL sand is difficult for an electric blower to deal with. The EGO and Kobalt battery blowers are just good enough for our "T" hangars. They do struggle with sand and run time, but can generally finish the job.

Back