Just purchased an EGO mower, any experience?

I haven't heard of the batteries failing to take a charge yet, just that they certainly don't last as long on a charge after 2 years. That would suck if the battery fails to the point where you can't use the mower at all.
Yeah, Ive had a couple electric mowers and wasnt impressed with them. Needing to have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of batteries just isnt appealing to me.
Last year I bought a new Honda gas mower and now that Honda is getting out and gas in general is probably going to become a thing of the past, I find myself looking more and more at hand yard tools: dual wheeled edge, edging shears and when my Honda either wears out or rusts out I will most likely replace it with a manual reel mower. Im just not going to spend $700-$1K on an electric push mower and then spend another $500 every 2-5 years replacing the battery. Not to mention if you have a mower, blower and string trimmer that all run on the same batteries, youre probably looking at $500-$1K worth of batteries just to take care of your yard every week.

Yeah, Ive had a couple electric mowers and wasnt impressed with them. Needing to have hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of batteries just isnt appealing to me.
Last year I bought a new Honda gas mower and now that Honda is getting out and gas in general is probably going to become a thing of the past, I find myself looking more and more at hand yard tools: dual wheeled edge, edging shears and when my Honda either wears out or rusts out I will most likely replace it with a manual reel mower. Im just not going to spend $700-$1K on an electric push mower and then spend another $500 every 2-5 years replacing the battery. Not to mention if you have a mower, blower and string trimmer that all run on the same batteries, youre probably looking at $500-$1K worth of batteries just to take care of your yard every week.
I really don't think gas will be a thing of the past, as much as corporations and others with a vested interest in electric power want you to think it will be. There are millions of gas powered mowers out there. Battery is a new thing (for mowers at least) so many people are jumping on board to try it out. In my neck of the woods, only retired people with very small yards have battery mowers. One of my good friends moved to CT from NYC a few years ago. He started with a battery mower (forget the brand) and it worked great for his small yard, but it struggled in thick grass. Now he lives in a home with a larger lot and with kids/other responsibilities he bought a gas mower because there is less "planning" involved as he said in order to make the battery stuff work for his yard.

The local power equipment dealers can't keep gas mowers in stock, and I've been super busy this year with small engine repairs. I think similar to the EV situation, battery mowers will become an integral part of the power equipment world, but they won't replace gas any time soon.

Yes, always let battery cool before recharging.

Also don’t have battery in charger and forget about it. I set alarm to remind me to remove from charger after an hour.
I agree but my mower battery never seems to get anywhere near hot or even warm after cutting the lawn. (I still wait though) Surprised me after about 40 non stop minutes of mowing and uses up to 70% of the battery.

I do a mix of using the self propelled and manual push as it’s so light to push I actually prefer to get a little more exercise, the self propelled does use additional battery power.

Agree again about removing it when done charging yet again the charger and fan completely shut down once charged.

I have EGO model # LM2135 SP
56 volts
Happy with it, have used it over half dozen times now. I grow very thick grass 🙃
It’s does mess with my head not hearing the gas engine and I wonder if that leaves the impression of less power because it cuts perfectly. I still think gas would have an edge but I’m close to being on the fence about that. I wouldn’t recommend for a larger lawn though.

IMG_3863.jpeg

IMG_3864.jpeg

Lawn still getting started house is less than ; months old.But a lot of lawn food has it growing fast and thickening quickly.
Obviously this is the back lawn, patios not completed.

For the OP here is my thread on this mower=

Last edited:
Working on the first cut, this is an AWD model but only the front wheels are spinning. Can’t find anything in the owners manual and the customer care center is closed. Any ideas?

Doesn't the charger for these things automatically shut off when the battery reaches full charge?

All of the chargers for my battery powered tools shut off as soon as they reach full charge, and the light changes from flashing green to solid green.

I really don’t trust charger for my EV mower.

I have been considering a new mower for a while since the transmission in my gas Honda push mower went out prematurely a few years ago. I have been taking care of my mother in laws lawn since she had surgery and is currently unable to do so. She has a Ryobi 40V electric mower that I have been enjoying using. I never thought I could consider electric but after using hers I think the pros might outweigh the cons. I went ahead and purchased a 40v 21" EGO self propelled model as Lowes is having a sale. Run time is listed at 60 minutes, which for me likely won't be enough to cut my lawn. An additional battery is a cool $400 and I'm not ready to invest that much yet. I'll just have to break up the lawn into two sections and change in between if needed. Do any of you have experience with the EGO mowers? I can always return and go a different route but reviews seem to be good and the price was good as well.
My neighbors caught fire the first year and melted. The replacement version he got now seems to have no replacement parts that fit. He wanted a high lift mulching blade. After three attempts he gave up. According to the customer service associate ego changed the blade mount. Take it back. Not sure who makes the battery but after 3 years it barely cuts the front. It used to cut the front and back on one charge with battery power left. They are junk.

"I have been considering a new mower for a while since the transmission in my gas Honda push mower went out prematurely a few years ago. I have been taking care of my mother in laws lawn since she had surgery and is currently unable to do so. She has a Ryobi 40V electric mower that I have been enjoying using. I never thought I could consider electric but after using hers I think the pros might outweigh the cons. I went ahead and purchased a 40v 21" EGO self propelled model as Lowes is having a sale. Run time is listed at 60 minutes, which for me likely won't be enough to cut my lawn. An additional battery is a cool $400 and I'm not ready to invest that much yet. I'll just have to break up the lawn into two sections and change in between if needed. Do any of you have experience with the EGO mowers? I can always return and go a different route but reviews seem to be good and the price was good as well."
Working on the first cut, this is an AWD model but only the front wheels are spinning. Can’t find anything in the owners manual and the customer care center is closed. Any ideas?
I cant make sense of your questions. Maybe you can post the model number as to the best of my knowledge EGO doesnt make a 40 volt mower and it doesnt have front wheel drive or 4 wheel drive.
EGO mowers are 56 volt rear wheel drive. Previously mentioned I have the LM2135SP which is 56 volt and rear wheel

You mention Lowes so I posted the link to show what I am saying, th only reference I see to a 40 volt mower is Kobalt and Husvarna -

@Dave Hess
I need to make a correction to the above post that I made regarding battery heat.
I agreed with Dave 100% that I like to give the battery time to settle and I do not place it in the charger right away after cutting the lawn and even though the charger seems to completely shut down when charged I do not leave it in the charger. Im pretty much this careful with anything rechargeable.

However I was incorrect in stating the battery doest get warm or hot. It never seemed to me to be that way as I always felt it but maybe I was thinking anything significant I did not notice. Well today I paid attention and I was wrong.

The battery does get warm to very warm and some might call it hot at the top. I just finished cutting the lawn on July 7th at 12:30 PM.
Get this, it's exactly 99 degrees outside measured on two outdoor thermometers properly placed in the shade. SO that could be why I never noticed before. :)
I paid attention to the battery when I was done, the top was hot, maybe more than I ever noticed possibly because outdoor temp today?

I hit it with a fairly good quality gun and it measured 133 degrees at the top, yeah, true the top is also in the sun but it was very warm for sure. The sides measured 109 degrees. Anyway always think a good practice to let the battery cool or stabilize by not putting in right into a charger when done using it.

Mower run time I did not time but safe to say around 40+ ish minutes non stop.
IMG_3876.JPG
IMG_3877.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

I live on a few acres and have no use for a walk behind mower, even for trim work. But I use to live in a residential neighborhood on a 1/3 acre lot and I'll give my thoughts.

The number of gas mower choices is dwindling. The number of non self propelled mowers is sparse. Most non self propelled mowers have a smaller CC engine today vs 15 years ago.

What people don't seem to take into account is that many guys in a residential neighborhood are dealing with obstacles, pulling the mower backwards and turning it around a lot. Having a self propelled mower is more of a nuisance to someone like me who's still in good shape. Push only models tend to be easier to pull backwards and maneuver. They have them in battery or gas, you usually got to order one because the store doesn't stock the better ones.

If I was buying a 21" mower today, I would buy the Cub Cadet SCP100. Plenty of power and a push model.

I have nothing against battery mowers. The quietness is a huge plus. Toro makes a steel deck battery mower that uses the traditional heavy mower blade. They also make the plastic deck Stipe models which supposedly stripes the lawn as you mow.

I live on a few acres and have no use for a walk behind mower, even for trim work. But I use to live in a residential neighborhood on a 1/3 acre lot and I'll give my thoughts.

The number of gas mower choices is dwindling. The number of non self propelled mowers is sparse. Most non self propelled mowers have a smaller CC engine today vs 15 years ago.

What people don't seem to take into account is that many guys in a residential neighborhood are dealing with obstacles, pulling the mower backwards and turning it around a lot. Having a self propelled mower is more of a nuisance to someone like me who's still in good shape. Push only models tend to be easier to pull backwards and maneuver. They have them in battery or gas, you usually got to order one because the store doesn't stock the better ones.

If I was buying a 21" mower today, I would buy the Cub Cadet SCP100. Plenty of power and a push model.

I have nothing against battery mowers. The quietness is a huge plus. Toro makes a steel deck battery mower that uses the traditional heavy mower blade. They also make the plastic deck Stipe models which supposedly stripes the lawn as you mow.
Ahhh then the EGO 2135 would be a good match if not for you then others that think like you which is me.
No high wheels, so easy to push it’s the equal of pushing a Public supermarket shopping cart for a lawn mower but always have the option to switch on the electric rear wheel drive.
I mostly push for the exercise but I have to admit today I switched on the electric drive a little bit more than normal as my grass is getting super thick from all the fertilizer I have been putting down and the fact that it was 99° outside.
One thing for sure with an electric mower. The wheels are powered by an electric motor, so there’s no drag on the mower when you’re not using the power drive. It’s literally as easy to push is a shopping cart considering you are on grass.
With a conventional ICE lawnmower there’s always that little bit of drag that makes maneuvering the self powered mower harder to push, but this doesn’t happen with the electric version.

The difference between the two is startling and I’m not kidding. I’ve been cutting lawns for decades and the self powered electric motor still surprises me how easy it is to push. Should you not use the electric drive

I saw you mention something about blades. The model I have mentioned comes with three different blades, which is really the ultimate because each blade serves a purpose.
It comes with a mulching blade, which is a double blade for best mulching meaning one blades fixed on top of the second one Honda mowers are famous for that set up
Then it comes with a bagging blade should be you be the person that prefers to bag it is set up to vacuum better and push the blades into the grass catcher

And then there is a blade for someone who doesn’t care about either one, but wants maximum battery life

Last edited:
Now Colorado is going All Nazi. The "environmental board" is set to vote to outlaw gas ope. They need to move to California. I kinda feared this after The boneheaded governor switched us to California emissions in a feel good attempt.

I agree but my mower battery never seems to get anywhere near hot or even warm after cutting the lawn. (I still wait though) Surprised me after about 40 non stop minutes of mowing and uses up to 70% of the battery.

I do a mix of using the self propelled and manual push as it’s so light to push I actually prefer to get a little more exercise, the self propelled does use additional battery power.

Agree again about removing it when done charging yet again the charger and fan completely shut down once charged.

I have EGO model # LM2135 SP
56 volts
Happy with it, have used it over half dozen times now. I grow very thick grass 🙃
It’s does mess with my head not hearing the gas engine and I wonder if that leaves the impression of less power because it cuts perfectly. I still think gas would have an edge but I’m close to being on the fence about that. I wouldn’t recommend for a larger lawn though.

View attachment 165320
View attachment 165326
Lawn still getting started house is less than ; months old.But a lot of lawn food has it growing fast and thickening quickly.
Obviously this is the back lawn, patios not completed.

For the OP here is my thread on this mower=
You can't put a gatorblade on one of those unfortunately.

You can't put a gatorblade on one of those unfortunately.
Have you seen the mulching blade on the EGO?
It’s dual blade same design as Hondas highly rated mulching blades. Works excellent, my last mower was a Honda for some of the same reason.

It actually looks similar to the Gatorblade but the EGO (like the Honda) piggybacks a second additional blade on the mulching blade, makes a great combination. Hondas were highly rated for mulching because of this twin blade design

I have trouble believing that people pay a $1000+ for a push mower. Bought on clearance a pretty nice rider which has been dependable for $600. Push for a $1000+, ride for $600, Mmmm no brainer. I still use a push mower but it is for the slopes only that I bought 20 years ago for $139
Many cordless mowers can be bought for under 500.00

I have trouble believing that people pay a $1000+ for a push mower. Bought on clearance a pretty nice rider which has been dependable for $600. Push for a $1000+, ride for $600, Mmmm no brainer. I still use a push mower but it is for the slopes only that I bought 20 years ago for $139
No one pays $1000+ for a push mower

You can get a top of the line gas or electric self propelled for $700 ish and under.

I cruised the mower isle at the box stores the other day. A Milwaukee electric is over a grand, most of the other brands were in the 6-7 range...

1000.00 will buy you the absolute top of the line Honda HRX - electric start Hydrostatic (if you can still find one). I'm not anti electric but i do not understand why at current pricing anyone would choose that.

Craftsman lawn tractor over 4899.00 for electric, similar gas 2499...

Many cordless mowers can be bought for under 500.00
Yeah, if youre looking at a Ryobi or Hart. Makita makes one that is around $600 and comes with 4 batteries. I might go that route when the time comes to replace my Honda. It would give me an excuse to get into Makita's 18v line of tools. If not, I might just go Ryobi 40v. Part of me just wants to say screw it and get a manual reel mower but with how my yard is now I worry that a manual reel mower wouldnt be able to cut it without going back and forth over and over and the 1st time that I go on vacation for a week and the grass is 6" tall, Id be breaking out the week wacker.

Back