Just purchased a Lithium Powered Lawnmower

Never thought I would do it anytime soon, spent a pretty good dollar on a self powered 21 inch walk behind Lithium Powered Lawn Mower.
We just moved into our new house and figured it was time as I prefer not to store the gas here, change plugs, air filters and oil.
This is supposed to be the one, powerful enough for cutting a thick lawn. It comes with 3 different bladé options. Mulching, Bagging and one compromise for maximum battery per charge.

I always enjoyed cutting the lawn, on purpose most times I would cut it at hottest time of the day in SC typically 93 to 100 degrees for a good 6 weeks, other times I would wait till evening. Im shocked at all the young people who pay landscapers. I mean, I go to a gym to stay fit, cutting the lawn to me is just another workout. Im looking forward to the first cut, it's new sod but looks like it should be ready to cut in a few days.
I will be honest about one thing, I wont miss the heat coming off the gasoline engine in the summertime.

All told it was no more then $200 over what I would have paid for a gas powered. There is one up model from this one, not sure of the benefit, many models below it, not sure if that matters either. I did want the 3 blades. I think I might mulch, my past lawn that was not possible as it was so thick. This grass is different, so nice to have options, mulching blade and a lift blade for best bagging should I decide to bag instead. I wont need maximum battery blade for my lot. There is a model right below this one without the extra blades and might save you $100 or more. I didnt check if there was anything else different as I wanted those blades. I also got another 7% off, 5% from my credit card and 2% from Rakuten

EGO 2135SP

IMG_2550.JPG
IMG_2551.JPG
IMG_2552.JPG

Charger measures 11 inches high and fan cooled =
IMG_2553.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting, I was just looking at one of these to buy for my mother in law for mothers day.

So far, this has been my favorite...

I personally own a masterforce weedeater, and have been very impressed with the performance. I can't find a brushless self propelled with that high of voltage and Ah anywhere...

Interesting, I was just looking at one of these to buy for my mother in law for mothers day.

I personally own a masterforce weedeater, and have been very impressed with the performance. I can't find a brushless self propelled with that high of voltage and Ah anywhere...
The Masterforce 80V brushless mower is made in the same overseas factory as the 80V mowers offered by Harbor Freight (Atlas), Lowes (Kobalt), Greenworks, and Snapper. The major difference is the shape/form factor of the Li-Ion battery and minor differences in the color schemes and throttle and drive controls.

ATLAS Mower
KOBALT Mower
GREENWORKS Mower
SNAPPER Mower

We dont have Menards here BUT I see a reference to "Greenworks" in Masterforce link you posted. I suspect this is Menards brand?
Anyway, Greenworks is another (based on my limited knowledge) well known respected brand. Actually I think its between both these companies EGO and Greenworks. (which would also be Menards and yes I see someone posted above while I was typing)

What really impressed me (dont know if it matters as I might actually prefer a slower charger) is the charger that came with the EGO. Man, it caught me off guard on the size and fan cooling when charging. I just updated my OP with a photo

We dont have Menards here BUT I see a reference to "Greenworks" in Masterforce link you posted. I suspect this is Menards brand?
Anyway, Greenworks is another (based on my limited knowledge) well known respected brand. Actually I think its between both these companies EGO and Greenworks. (which would also be Menards)
What really impressed me (dont know if it matters as I might actually prefer a slower charger) is the charger that came with the EGO. Man, it caught me off guard on the size and fan cooling when charging.

Yup, Greenworks makes the Menards brand. I did notice the Menards quotes a 5 Ah pack vs. the Greenworks 4 Ah pack. I have seen where Greenworks has won best value in several competitions.

I appreciate the feedback.

I prefer not to store the gas here, change plugs, air filters and oil.
So why not a corded electric? No problem of battery pack degrading over time and then not being able to buy a replacement that wont cost as much as the the mower itself. And they weigh a lot less than battery powered so easier to push around. I have a 30 year old Black and Decker that still works great.

So why not a corded electric? No problem of battery pack degrading over time and then not being able to buy a replacement that wont cost as much as the the mower itself. And they weigh a lot less than battery powered so easier to push around. I have a 30 year old Black and Decker that still works great.
We had one, too. Cheapest option for sure. Mowed the lawn with it for 15 years.

But the cordless is so very much better. No cord to worry about. Mows just as well. Far more convenient.

I cut my own lawn vs a landscaper saving boatload of money AND staying active and working out, even though its self propelled *LOL*
Cord? Way too inconvenient for me personally but we all chose what makes us happy.

I have an EGO 21" self propelled mower I got in 2018. It mowed well for me for 4 years. The battery has started to fail (used to do my entire lawn, now will only do about 1/2 to 2/3, depending the grass length. Last summer the self propelled drive failed. It has a 5 year warranty so I called EGO tech support. They had me take it to the local ACE hardware for repair. I dropped it off last October (of 2022) and am still waiting for it here in April 2023.

I finally went and bought a new Honda self propelled mower a couple of weeks ago, as I expect to never see my EGO again and when I do, it will require a battery replacement that costs nearly the same as a new mower.

The cordless option is awesome for convenience, low noise, no maintenance. They just aren't built to last in service for many years. Good luck with yours. I bought an EGO string trimmer and leaf blower probably around 2016 and am satisfied with their performance. They work good, require no maintenance and the battery that I started with shot craps a couple years ago. I bought one replacement EGO battery and one clone off Amazon. So far holding up. Light duty service fits these type of machines. Not so much for a heavier duty cycle.

I have an EGO 21" self propelled mower I got in 2018. It mowed well for me for 4 years. The battery has started to fail (used to do my entire lawn, now will only do about 1/2 to 2/3, depending the grass length. Last summer the self propelled drive failed. It has a 5 year warranty so I called EGO tech support. They had me take it to the local ACE hardware for repair. I dropped it off last October (of 2022) and am still waiting for it here in April 2023.
That's my concern too. After 5 years you have an expensive boat anchor. You get used to extension cords on corded models so that's not such a big deal. I've used mine on a 1/4 acre property that takes me 2-3 hours a cut 3-4 times a year.

Never thought I would do it anytime soon, spent a pretty good dollar on a self powered 21 inch walk behind Lithium Powered Lawn Mower.
We just moved into our new house and figured it was time as I prefer not to store the gas here, change plugs, air filters and oil.
This is supposed to be the one, powerful enough for cutting a thick lawn. It comes with 3 different bladé options. Mulching, Bagging and one compromise for maximum battery per charge.

I always enjoyed cutting the lawn, on purpose most times I would cut it at hottest time of the day in SC typically 93 to 100 degrees for a good 6 weeks, other times I would wait till evening. Im shocked at all the young people who pay landscapers. I mean, I go to a gym to stay fit, cutting the lawn to me is just another workout. Im looking forward to the first cut, it's new sod but looks like it should be ready to cut in a few days.
I will be honest about one thing, I wont miss the heat coming off the gasoline engine in the summertime.

All told it was no more then $200 over what I would have paid for a gas powered. There is one up model from this one, not sure of the benefit, many models below it, not sure if that matters either. I did want the 3 blades. I think I might mulch, my past lawn that was not possible as it was so thick. This grass is different, so nice to have options, mulching blade and a lift blade for best bagging should I decide to bag instead. I wont need maximum battery blade for my lot. There is a model right below this one without the extra blades and might save you $100 or more. I didnt check if there was anything else different as I wanted those blades. I also got another 7% off, 5% from my credit card and 2% from Rakuten

EGO 2135SP

View attachment 151371View attachment 151373View attachment 151374

Charger measures 11 inches high and fan cooled =
View attachment 151380
Very nice. Like the 3 blades. Enjoy!

I finally went and bought a new Honda self propelled mower a couple of weeks ago, as I expect to never see my EGO again and when I do, it will require a battery replacement that costs nearly the same as a new mower.

The cordless option is awesome for convenience, low noise, no maintenance. They just aren't built to last in service for many years. Good luck with yours. I bought an EGO string trimmer and leaf blower probably around 2016 and am satisfied with their performance. They work good, require no maintenance and the battery that I started with shot craps a couple years ago. I bought one replacement EGO battery and one clone off Amazon. So far holding up. Light duty service fits these type of machines. Not so much for a heavier duty cycle.
Yeah, that is about what I am expecting, hopefully 4+ years of no problems and hopefully reliability has improved. I do not expect the battery to last more than 4 years, that is for sure. Since I cut my own lawn I dont care too much about cost when everyone around me pays $100 per month to have someone cut theirs. I do it for fun and exercise too.
Im just done with gas mowers. Fingers crossed.
Ive been a fan of Worx strong trimmers for a long time now, though its light duty edging is all I use it for Ive never been able to kill them.

Last edited:
Battery mowers are quiet. The Toro Stripe model looks interesting. My dad just bought a Toro Super Recycler with the 190CC engine. He wanted something powerful. https://www.acehardware.com/departm...VhhSzAB2h6gD7EAQYASABEgIXsvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah, I have no problem with gas mowers. I think they are the standard for battery to live up to. I am hoping this latest battery model does.
As a young person at the time, Toro was ALWAYS my favorite, as years wore on Honda became my favorite but I think this is the last year that Honda is making mowers and Toro is still around and respected for sure.

How manufacturers "build in" the allowed depth of discharge seems to really make a difference in how long some of the lithium tool batteries last, hopefully they are doing the same with the mowers.
My FIL just bought a lithium powered golf cart (48V 100Ah battery), will be interesting to see what his battery life ends up being as he uses it daily.

Concerns over battery life and large battery packs with unknown replacement terms and conditions on Ego and other mowers led us to a Makita. Same 18v Li-Ion as my drills, reciprocating saws, multi tools, impact wrenches, impact drivers, blowers, jig saw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer (a new one, and love it). I'm all in on the 18v Makita system. I've got about 18 batteries, several chargers. The batteries aren't cheap, but they're completely interchangeable and replaceable. I won't be sending the mower (or any of the other tools) in for a new battery. My 40+ year old Makita drill still works great, by the way. They build excellent tools.

Back