Just purchased a Lithium Powered Lawnmower

Concerns over battery life and large battery packs with unknown replacement terms and conditions on Ego and other mowers led us to a Makita. Same 18v Li-Ion as my drills, reciprocating saws, multi tools, impact wrenches, impact drivers, blowers, jig saw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer (a new one, and love it). I'm all in on the 18v Makita system. I've got about 18 batteries, several chargers. The batteries aren't cheap, but they're completely interchangeable and replaceable. I won't be sending the mower (or any of the other tools) in for a new battery. My 40+ year old Makita drill still works great, by the way. They build excellent tools.
Well I cant disagree that Makita isnt the best power tool maker out there and at the same time I expect a lot from EGO being they produce a lot of outdoor equipment including the new Lithium ride on mower.

Producers of every conceivable outdoor landscape tool I suspect their battery technology is top notch.
Time will tell!

Concerns over battery life and large battery packs with unknown replacement terms and conditions on Ego and other mowers led us to a Makita. Same 18v Li-Ion as my drills, reciprocating saws, multi tools, impact wrenches, impact drivers, blowers, jig saw, string trimmer, hedge trimmer (a new one, and love it). I'm all in on the 18v Makita system. I've got about 18 batteries, several chargers. The batteries aren't cheap, but they're completely interchangeable and replaceable. I won't be sending the mower (or any of the other tools) in for a new battery. My 40+ year old Makita drill still works great, by the way. They build excellent tools.
Congrats

We had one, too. Cheapest option for sure. Mowed the lawn with it for 15 years.

But the cordless is so very much better. No cord to worry about. Mows just as well. Far more convenient.
I had a family member who ran over their corded mower. Made a nice loud "snap!" as it cut the cord haha. This same family member somehow also managed to cut the extension cord on their hedge trimmer. Not sure how they haven't been electrocuted...

I think getting as many tools as you can to be on one platform is the best idea. Way less hassle compared to managing several different batteries and chargers for each piece of equipment. I have customers who love their Toros, they have the Toro battery mower, weed trimmer, snowthrower, leaf blower, and other tools. Having everything on the same platform makes it easy for them.

Makita makes fantastic tools. I own mostly DeWalt cordless with a couple Milwaukee cordless tools, but have some older Makita corded tools (40+ year old drill, 30+ year old circular saw) and a Makita (Dolmar) chainsaw that have all been flawless.

this battery powered stuff has its usages... back in the day my brother lived in a mobile home and he had a electric mower with a cord on it... and it worked for hi for the amount of grass he was mowing.. so I can see the value of a cordless mower.... until you get into the large jobs or all day use.. makita makes good stuff, but don't leave out Milwaukee.. my son the elctrician has a bunch of Milwaukee stuff and it is **** good too

My wife likes to mow the lawn and get a work out at the same time. I bought a battery mower a couple years ago, which she loves. These mowers remind me of the Polaroid cameras and film of old as a new replacement battery can cost 1/2 the price of the mower with battery and charger.

So why not a corded electric? No problem of battery pack degrading over time and then not being able to buy a replacement that wont cost as much as the the mower itself. And they weigh a lot less than battery powered so easier to push around. I have a 30 year old Black and Decker that still works great.

just don't mow over the cord :sneaky:

The cord will either get in the way or just not be long enough!

I get the desire to not keep a gas can around, but a quality gas mower seems to last nearly forever at least in my experience and require very little in the way of maintenance.

Hope you enjoy the new mower. If I had a 1/4 acre and small engines weren't a hobby of mine I'd consider electric as well.

Im shocked at all the young people who pay landscapers. I mean, I go to a gym to stay fit, cutting the lawn to me is just another workout. Im looking forward to the first cut, it's new sod but looks like it should be ready to cut in a few days.
Perhaps not drawing judgement on others who prioritize other things than you might be wise...

For the record, yes I mow my own yard. I enjoy working on mowers(much more than the mowing itself) and even though I have a few self propelled ones on hand(including one that has me running to keep up with it on its highest speed) I have mostly used a push mower this year.

My wife and I also have a 3 month old, and we're both working 2 full time jobs.

I am close to hiring a lawn service. Time is my single most precious commodity now and with the way the grass is going now, those two hours I'd have back every 4-6 days. That's not to mention too that allergies often mean I feel like crap the day after I've mowed, although a mask+showering afterwards helps that a lot.

Happy for your new mower and hope you enjoy it...but again it might be nice to lay off the judgement.

My 40+ year old Makita drill still works great, by the way.
Ahh, the 9.6 volt? Amazing it is still going. We had the cordless saw with what appeared to be a 3.5" blade. Still have the drill, should make a great restoration project one day.

The Masterforce 80V brushless mower is made in the same overseas factory as the 80V mowers offered by Harbor Freight (Atlas), Lowes (Kobalt), Greenworks, and Snapper. The major difference is the shape/form factor of the Li-Ion battery and minor differences in the color schemes and throttle and drive controls.

ATLAS Mower
KOBALT Mower
GREENWORKS Mower
SNAPPER Mower
Also note that the brushless motor in all of these is made by Briggs. Also note that Kobalt charger also has a cooling fan.

I can understand not wanting to do maintenance on OPE if that's not your thing. I do have a battery powered pole saw that I like.

I kind of enjoy maintaining my stuff and even fixing equipment that's not working. So much that I am finishing up a Small engine repair class at the local community college.

I can understand not wanting to do maintenance on OPE if that's not your thing. I do have a battery powered pole saw that I like.

I kind of enjoy maintaining my stuff and even fixing equipment that's not working. So much that I am finishing up a Small engine repair class at the local community college.
I have more important things on which to do maintenance. Zero maintenance electric yard equipment is awesome. No power cords to deal with. No maintenance. No starting. Just pick them up and start working.

Blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and, yep, mower.

I have more important things on which to do maintenance. Zero maintenance electric yard equipment is awesome. No power cords to deal with. No maintenance. No starting. Just pick them up and start working.

Blower, string trimmer, hedge trimmer, and, yep, mower.
Everyone has their own priorities and things they want to work with and don't want to work with, hence my calling out the OP for their ranting through this thread about people hiring lawn services and all the implications about that...

Curious to hear your experience with this one. I'm not against an electric mower and I had one many years ago when I had a much smaller yard. The one I did own wouldn't handle the yard I have now but I know tech has changed a lot in the last 10 years.

Back