I purchased my first lawn mower today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I moved in to my first house about a year ago now, and ever since have been borrowing my parents lawn mower. While mowing the lawn today I must have hit a stump because the blade flew out of the mower and landed beside it. I figured the bolt must have came loose since it was no where to be found, but after further looking I did find it and saw it had snapped right in half. I didn't want to have a partially mowed lawn so I went out to Home Depot and picked up a brand new Honda HRR self propelled mower.

Super easy to assemble and I was off cutting the lawn. Excellent mulching with the twin blade system, and the self propelled feature was flawless and so smooth. Loving it so far! Worth the extra up front cost in my opinion!

mower link

Yup, the Honda mowers are quite nice. I re-powered my Snapper with a Honda 190 engine. Big improvement, with excellent power and smooth running.

I got tired of the $99 throw away mowers a couple decades ago. On my second Honda. The first I gave to a neighbor before a move over a decade ago. I imagine it is still going strong. My current mower also came from the Home Depot 13 years ago and has the two blades and mulch/clip bag controls and is self propelled. It wasn't cheap then and i hope it lasts forever because the equivalent replacement is $799 now. Up from $499 in 2005.

Gonna let your parents borrow it?
25.gif

You bought the wrong type of mower. Sorry bud. Should have went Electric. Quiet operation, no need to deal with gas / oil / fumes / noise.

Mine has headlights and I can mow at night (which is what I do after work once the heat dies down)

I have the green Ryobi brand. Amazing mower. Stands upright against the wall so it takes up very little space. I love it. Will never go back to gas powered.

Originally Posted By: Artem
You bought the wrong type of mower. Sorry bud. Should have went Electric. Quiet operation, no need to deal with gas / oil / fumes / noise.

Mine has headlights and I can mow at night (which is what I do after work once the heat dies down)

I have the green Ryobi brand. Amazing mower. Stands upright against the wall so it takes up very little space. I love it. Will never go back to gas powered.

I bought the RIGHT mower for me, thank you for your input though. Glad you found the right mower for you.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: John_K
Gonna let your parents borrow it?
25.gif

Yes!

Hahahahahaa! Too funny.

Most Excellent Choice! What oil you gonna use? Are you gonna Stabil your gas? Gonna buy non-ethanol gas?

Mowing at night here is when the bugs especially skeeters come out. Also the toads in the yard would get chopped as they start coming out at dusk. I tried the electric trimmer - Greenworks 40V Gmax. Not very good for a big yard. Would be ok for an inner city lot 0.1 acres or so. Mine is over 1 acre with some areas of heavy growth and it just doesn't cut it - literally.

And a blower you will get no mercy here !!! Having a nice tool is always wort the extra money.

We picked one up a year or two ago to use at my grandpa's. Works pretty good. We let it sit over the winter though and the gas went bad, was running a little funny for a while.

Starts easy and purrs like a kitten though! Make sure you keep fresh gas in it.

PPPP 10w30 for it?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: spk2000
Mowing at night here is when the bugs especially skeeters come out. Also the toads in the yard would get chopped as they start coming out at dusk. I tried the electric trimmer - Greenworks 40V Gmax. Not very good for a big yard. Would be ok for an inner city lot 0.1 acres or so. Mine is over 1 acre with some areas of heavy growth and it just doesn't cut it - literally.

Duh, that's exactly what I want. Chop all those suckers up in mulch mode. Mwhaaa hahahaha.

Nice!

I remember buying my first mower, it was last year's model so it was on sale for $100. Got 5 or 6 years before the deck resembled an accordian. Bought same model off CL for $20, not running but I took a gamble (wound up needing a carb for like $15). Next one was a really great bagger mower from the transfer station--free--that just needed a carb gasket. This current one was free also, coworker no longer needed it. Not sure how long I'll keep it, it has this new fangled OHV technology.

Still have a Craftsman mower I bought 30 years ago - runs and works like new. Doesn't take much maintenance to keep them going forever.

I have a 3 year old Honda twin blade mower I purchased new. From day one it has done a very poor job of mulching, leaving clumps and lines of clumped grass on each pass. I don't have the problem when I use the 12 year old Craftsman single blade mower instead. Usually I am only cutting an inch and a half and the grass is dry.

When I researched the Honda mower, about 20% or so of owners complained about the mower leaving clumps. The majority of owners had no problem so I don't know what the difference is.

I also have trouble pulling it backwards as is mentioned in another post. I will check the drive cable to make sure it is adjusted properly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back