new mower Snapper or Toro?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gonna get a new self-propelled mower for my medium size semi hilly yard. They are both $300.00 for the models I am looking at. snapper Toro

What do you guys think? I have a Snapper snowblower 2o+ years old and still cranking along so I am leaning that way.

LOL That second one is about a half mile from where I am sitting at work right now. Looks a little nasty though. Had not thought about used .

Originally Posted By: bradepb

LOL That second one is about a half mile from where I am sitting at work right now. Looks a little nasty though. Had not thought about used .

It'll clean up just fine (assuming the engine runs good). The older Toro mowers with the 3 speed transmission are some of the most durable, best built mowers ever built. They are incredible and a similar quality today would cost $1100-1200 to buy.

I would recommend used, too. I have an older Toro Recycler that I got for free from a coworker about 5 years ago because the recoil wasn't working. It took me 15 minutes to fix and has functioned almost flawlessly since. I did have to pull the carburetor apart and fish a jet clean with a needle at one point but that only took about 20 minutes and it was back to 100%.

As to your two mowers you are looking at, never, ever, not in a million years, buy a push mower with a Kohler engine. Engine is world class Chinese junk. I actually like a lot of Chinese engines, but these engines have so many problems and are the worst piles of junk I have ever worked on. Briggs or Honda are what you want on lower end mowers.

Thanks, I think I am going to go with the Snapper/Briggs.
I was leery about the Kohler on the Toro.
The snapper also has a 87% satisfied rate compared to the Toros 72%.

Not sure when Toro went to Chinese engines, but my seven year old Recycler has been flawless. Starts every pull, no grass builds up under the deck, doesn't burn any oil, and the Personal Pace feature make it seem almost weightless.

I think Toro's Chinese engines are Briggs and Stratton. The parts and engines are made by workers who are beaten a little harder, but are paid a little more, with better materials than your average Chonda. Snapper is a mere shadow of it's former self. Might as well buy a Murray.

The reason you say Snapper is no better than a Murray, is because the low end discount store Snappers ARE Murrays. To get the REAL nearly as good as years ago Snappers you need to go to an actual servicing dealer. They cost more, but in my opinion, are well worth it.

Yeah that Wal-Mart Snapper is not actually made by Snapper. It is actually made by MTD I believe, which just so happens to be about the worst mower manufacturer there is. If you want an actual Snapper they are over $500 and only sold at Snapper dealers.

Originally Posted By: yeehaw1960
I think Toro's Chinese engines are Briggs and Stratton. The parts and engines are made by workers who are beaten a little harder, but are paid a little more, with better materials than your average Chonda. Snapper is a mere shadow of it's former self. Might as well buy a Murray.

English translation? Bunch of gibberish. Toro's Chinese engines have nothing to do with Briggs and Stratton.

As someone that works on power equipment and buy about 50-100 used mowers a year for resale, I would HIGHLY advise against that, especially when I have presented this option already. The mower below is EXCELLENT. I'm not kidding, at least go see it and take it for a test drive around the owners yard. It is very heavy duty, a 25 year mower. You might get 6 years out of that Wal-Mart Snapper before it takes a dump. The quality difference is night and day.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/4975961442.html

If it's available tomorrow I will own it https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/4975961442.html

Thanks bubba
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Yeah that Wal-Mart Snapper is not actually made by Snapper. It is actually made by MTD I believe, which just so happens to be about the worst mower manufacturer there is.

Negative. The discount store Snappers ARE Murrays. Briggs & Stratton purchased the assets of both Snapper and Murray from bankruptcy. Murray was the worst low-end manufacturer and Snapper was the worst high-end manufacturer, that is why they both went bankrupt. I haven't run across any NEW mowers with the Murray name on them lately, so B&S is obviously just slapping the Snapper name on the cheap POS products that used to be sold by Murray.
Also, B&S has a LARGE engine manufacturing plant in China, so many of the B&S engines sold over here ARE being manufactured in China. Honda is also doing this.

As someone that works on power equipment and buy about 50-100 used mowers a year for resale, I would HIGHLY advise against that, especially when I have presented this option already. The mower below is EXCELLENT. I'm not kidding, at least go see it and take it for a test drive around the owners yard. It is very heavy duty, a 25 year mower. You might get 6 years out of that Wal-Mart Snapper before it takes a dump. The quality difference is night and day.

I went and looked at the Walmart Snapper and yea its just a cheaper mower with a good name didn't buy.
Ok Sears haters don't flame me but what about Craftsman with a Briggs.
Its what I have owned for the last 10 years or so. The only reason I am looking for a new mower is my old Craftsman is not self propelled and my hips ain't what they used to be. My current Craftsman is still a reliable machine and starts first time.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
If it's available tomorrow I will own it https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/for/4975961442.html

Thanks bubba
wink.gif

Ha Ha lucky for you that one is kinda too far for me.It looks a lot better to me than the first one bubbatime posted. The first one is literally right around the corner from my job. I may call Monday and see about it but for 125.00 it probably is going to need a little TLC and I don't want to work on it I just want to cut my grass (a job I hate) and be done with it.
I am considering Bubbatmes good advice and may keep an eye out for a good used mower. The new ones seem like everything else nowadays: disposable!

Last edited:
... The mower below is EXCELLENT. I'm not kidding, at least go see it and take it for a test drive around the owners yard. It is very heavy duty, a 25 year mower. You might get 6 years out of that Wal-Mart Snapper before it takes a dump. The quality difference is night and day.

I don't know what everyone else sees in this ad, but the CL link above is showing a mixture of Toro mowers. Pic #1 is the gem, the other pics are junk. If you want a good Toro push mower it's got to be a Super Recycler. The ones with the Suzuki engines or the old Briggs OHVs are really nice.

I too would avoid the cheap Kohler push-mower engine. I haven't had the pleasure of working on one yet, but I keep reading about issues with them.

Last edited:
Stay away from the Walmart Snappers. Snapper had to cheapen their product in order for Walmart to sell them and with most products you buy at Walmart, you get what you pay for. We’ve bought four Snappers over the past 20 years or so from the local Snapper Dealer and there is no comparison in their quality to those that Walmart sells. Except for an occasional drive disc or belt, they have been basically trouble free. Here's the link for Snapper. http://www.snapper.com/us/en/push-mower/ninja#specifications

The Snapper Commercial Ninja mulcher is what I bought (mail-ordered) in 2011. Nice mower, but I'm not sure I'd buy a $600 21" push mower again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back