Which one of these lawnmowers would you pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Ok, so you guys have better experience with Honda engines. Being honest, I read lots of good things about them.

However, my particular Honda engine equiped mower SUCKS.

You have the GCV engine on your mower, which is Honda's "residential grade," aka throwaway engine. While these make good power for their size, the long term reliability pales in comparison to the GX (commercial) series from Honda, and also many of their competitors. Honda makes no effort to hide this fact. Some of the bad points about this engine is the cam belt that WILL break with enough use, aluminum cylinder walls, and plain (non-roller) bearings. It's an engine whose number one goal is to be inexpensive.

For the weekend warrior, and the type of equipment that spends the majority of its life hibernating for the winter in your shed out back, they'll give years of satisfactory service. But a bulletproof workhorse, they are NOT.

The GX line of engines on the other hand, are the standard by which all other small engines are measured. They have been building these workhorses for countless years with little changes to the design, other than for emissions. It's the engine that put big, efficient power from small engines on the map, with it's OHV design, an industry first when they were introduced. This engine has been reverse engineered by untold numbers of Chinese manufacturers with varying degrees of success.

The next time you stop at Home Depot or Lowes, take a look at all the outdoor power equipment with "no name" or off-brand OHV engines. Ten years ago, you couldn't find equipment that didn't have a Briggs, Kohler or Honda engine in it. Today, the engines bear the name of the equipment manufacturer, like "MTD" or "Troy Built," etc. (who doesn't build the engine), or they'll have some random name like "Xoing Xu Engine Company Ltd."

Why? Because so many chinese manufacturers have been successful at selling copies of Honda's GX line of engines. Pay attention to the layout of the controls, approximate valve angle & port placement and you'll see how closely they copied the GX line of engines. Take off the labels, put them side by side and you'll be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Well that explains it all!! Thank you! I guess it's sort of like the John Deere you get at the HD or Lowe's is not the same as the one you would get at the John Deere dealer. Cheapened out residential use models. Makes sense to me.

Well that explains it all!! Thank you! I guess it's sort of like the John Deere you get at the HD or Lowe's is not the same as the one you would get at the John Deere dealer. Cheapened out residential use models. Makes sense to me.

You still shouldn't be having the issues you are having. Your air filter cover shouldn't fly off, your oil filler tube should stay locked in place, and your fuel cut-off switch shouldn't break. The engine does have an aluminum bore and standard bearings, so in that sense it's not a commercial-grade engine. But the failures you have experienced still shouldn't be happening.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd

You still shouldn't be having the issues you are having. Your air filter cover shouldn't fly off, your oil filler tube should stay locked in place, and your fuel cut-off switch shouldn't break. The engine does have an aluminum bore and standard bearings, so in that sense it's not a commercial-grade engine. But the failures you have experienced still shouldn't be happening.

I agree there. I just leave the fuel on all the time, have to hold the fill tube base when unscrewing the dipstick and have a tie strap around the air box lid. Guess since its a residential unit and is already smoking, I will be looking for another mower in the future. Disppointing since all it's had is either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum oil changed 2x a year.

Last edited:
The GCV160 engine on my mower is powerful and refined. It is simply smooth running, easy to start, fuel efficient, and all around good engine for a lawn mower. The 160cc displacement, OHC design add up to a fair amount of power in its class, and lack of transmission for self propelling means all the power goes straight to the blade, and it shows. Quite frankly, you can't kill it short of mowing over a small tree, large rocks, etc.

I share in your experience that they smoke an unusual amount for a fairly new motor. I've had mine for only two or three years, and it's become quite the mosquito fogger on startup if it's sat for more than a week or so.

Otherwise, I really like it. When I bought it, I had few choices. OHV engines from Briggs hadn't widely come to market yet in the 140-210cc sizes, they were still selling flatheads, which I will always stay far, far away from. Kohler motors could be found on a few models, but either the price or equipment brand name deterred me at the time. The Honda motor had great reviews, so it got my pick.

In hindsight, after later purchasing a Kohler 173cc engine that came with my pressure washer, I'd seek out the Kohler for my OPE every time. Cast iron sleeves, roller bearings are standard. Commercial quality at an affordable price. Engine is quiet, powerful, efficient and super easy to start. Absolutely no smoking, and I run it year round and have done so for about a year and a half now.

I have a Briggs OHV 210cc horizontal mount engine on my tiller, and it's definitely worst of the bunch. Made in China, aluminum cylinder walls, plain bearings, smokes like a chimney at low idle for some reason, very noisy and rough sounding.

I agree there. I just leave the fuel on all the time, have to hold the fill tube base when unscrewing the dipstick and have a tie strap around the air box lid. Guess since its a residential unit and is already smoking, I will be looking for another mower in the future. Disppointing since all it's had is either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum oil changed 2x a year.

I used to use the fuel cut-off switch every time I mowed, but after the first year or two, I quit using it; I do leave the fuel on all the time. I suppose it would keep the tank from draining into the engine if the carburetor float were to stick, but I've never heard of that happening.

You may consider changing oil to a conventional oil. I've never experienced smoking with my engine (even after being stored over the winter), but I've used mostly conventional oil. I guess T5 is supposed to be a synthetic blend, but it's still a pretty stout HDEO. Also be watchful of the oil level...as in don't over-fill it...especially if the mower happens to be stored with the cylinder pointing downhill. The oil will naturally run into the cylinder and get consumed when it first starts. Try this: tip the mower back (like on a cinder block) next time you store it for a while and see if it smokes a lot at first start-up. If it doesn't, then it's probably something like an oil level that's slightly too high. If it still does, then it's likely something with the carburetor...possibly a very rich mixture or something similar.

I'd like to try one of the new smaller Briggs OHV engines, like their 500e or 550e engines. I don't care for their "no prime, no choke" Ready Start systems (they often become problematic over the years), and the 500e and 550e don't have this (they have a real primer bulb). They look like nice honest little engines.

I used to use the fuel cut-off switch every time I mowed, but after the first year or two, I quit using it; I do leave the fuel on all the time. I suppose it would keep the tank from draining into the engine if the carburetor float were to stick, but I've never heard of that happening.

You may consider changing oil to a conventional oil. I've never experienced smoking with my engine (even after being stored over the winter), but I've used mostly conventional oil. I guess T5 is supposed to be a synthetic blend, but it's still a pretty stout HDEO. Also be watchful of the oil level...as in don't over-fill it...especially if the mower happens to be stored with the cylinder pointing downhill. The oil will naturally run into the cylinder and get consumed when it first starts. Try this: tip the mower back (like on a cinder block) next time you store it for a while and see if it smokes a lot at first start-up. If it doesn't, then it's probably something like an oil level that's slightly too high. If it still does, then it's likely something with the carburetor...possibly a very rich mixture or something similar.

It is stored level and the oil level is exactly on the top full mark. I will change the oil this week and fill it only to 3/4 full. I have a lone bottle of Pennzoil yellow bottle. I will use it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestions.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

But that does not mean you can't get years worth of reliable service out of the Honda GCV's. In residential use, where they spend the majority of their time in a shed hibernating for the winter, the engine will likely last longer than the deck & wheels it's bolted to.

Very true, I have a '04 Honda 160 from a rusted out Craftsman(MTD) lump mounted on a '83 Snapper... Now there's a deck that WILL last...

FWIW, I have a Husqvarna walk behind with a Kohler engine and its very good on the steep parts of my yard.

The flat(er) parts get run over by my Wheelhorse!

Last edited:
I have it narrowed down between the HU800AWD due to the GCV190 engine or the toro SR4 super recycler with personal pace. The toro would be a no brainer but it has a toro engine and I can't see to find out who makes it besides that its made over seas...

Originally Posted By: volk06
I have it narrowed down between the HU800AWD due to the GCV190 engine or the toro SR4 super recycler with personal pace. The toro would be a no brainer but it has a toro engine and I can't see to find out who makes it besides that its made over seas...

Toro's new engine is, as far as I can tell, a Chinese clone of the Honda GXV-series engine. I looked at some Toros at Home Depot today with engines branded by Kohler, and they, too, looked like clones of the Honda GXV-series engines. I don't know if the mower you were looking at had the Kohler brand engine; I also don't know where the Kohler engine on Toros is made. Some new Toros come with good quality Briggs & Stratton OHV engines as well, though some still come with side-valve Quantums, which I'd avoid at all costs.

I do like the new Toro 30" Time Saver model, though way pricey at nearly $1,000 as I recall. It has a top-line Briggs OHV engine.

Originally Posted By: volk06

Toro's new engine is, as far as I can tell, a Chinese clone of the Honda GXV-series engine. I looked at some Toros at Home Depot today with engines branded by Kohler, and they, too, looked like clones of the Honda GXV-series engines. I don't know if the mower you were looking at had the Kohler brand engine; I also don't know where the Kohler engine on Toros is made. Some new Toros come with good quality Briggs & Stratton OHV engines as well, though some still come with side-valve Quantums, which I'd avoid at all costs.

I do like the new Toro 30" Time Saver model, though way pricey at nearly $1,000 as I recall. It has a top-line Briggs OHV engine.

Is the GXV a better engine than the GCV?

The GXV-series is a commercial-grade engine, with full ball bearing support for the crankshaft and an iron cylinder liner. The GCV-series is a residential-grade engine, with standard bearings on the crankshaft and an aluminum cylinder bore. I own both and both have been very reliable. The GXV appears to operate smoother, but it's also mounted to a much heavier deck, with a blade clutch, so it's hard to really compare that aspect.

Whether the clones of the GXV share the same internal attributes or not, I don't know. Whether the Kohler has ball bearings on the crankshaft or an iron cylinder liner, I don't know. But they do share the GXV's layout, with the right side carburetor (when looking at it from the front as mounted to the deck), cone-shaped bowl with drain bolt, left side muffler, angled spark plug between the cylinder head cover and muffler, angled oil fill tube on the left, etc.

Objectively, the GXV series is better built. Whether any of that will come into play in a residential home use environment, I don't know. My GCV is 10 years old now and shows zero signs of slowing down. Oil consumption continues to be not measurable and it starts with ease.

I look forward to hearing if tilting the mower or the slightly lower oil level has an effect on the startup smoke.

I changed the oil over the weekend, had a lone quart of 10W/30 motorcraft semi-syn so I dumped that in it. Waited 30 minutes for the oil to settle on the dipstick and left it at 3/4 full. It started without any smoke! Let it sit for 2 days and started it..and there is still some smoke but it is atleast 75% less smoke. It will smoke just a few seconds. I am happy for now.

Last edited:
The GXV-series is a commercial-grade engine, with full ball bearing support for the crankshaft and an iron cylinder liner. The GCV-series is a residential-grade engine, with standard bearings on the crankshaft and an aluminum cylinder bore. I own both and both have been very reliable. The GXV appears to operate smoother, but it's also mounted to a much heavier deck, with a blade clutch, so it's hard to really compare that aspect.

Whether the clones of the GXV share the same internal attributes or not, I don't know. Whether the Kohler has ball bearings on the crankshaft or an iron cylinder liner, I don't know. But they do share the GXV's layout, with the right side carburetor (when looking at it from the front as mounted to the deck), cone-shaped bowl with drain bolt, left side muffler, angled spark plug between the cylinder head cover and muffler, angled oil fill tube on the left, etc.

Objectively, the GXV series is better built. Whether any of that will come into play in a residential home use environment, I don't know. My GCV is 10 years old now and shows zero signs of slowing down. Oil consumption continues to be not measurable and it starts with ease.

All good points. I've torn down Chinese made GX(V) knock-off's and they do have cast iron liners & ball bearing supported crank. Quality as we know, varies wildly from one Chinese manufacturer and another, and possibly from one engine on the assembly line and another, or whether it was built on a Monday or a Friday.

The newest Kohler line-up which is the Courage XT has cast liners & ball bearing supported crank. I certainly wouldn't put it in the same league as Honda's GX line, as those are true commercial grade engines, and are priced accordingly. This is one product segment where you do get what you pay for.

I prefer Briggs engines especially to the GCV. I've had 20+ year old Briggs that run good. My GCV powered Honda mower I got at a OPE dealer never did run good and always smoked on start up and was hard starting. I don't like the carburetor set up. That's not to say the GCV hasn't maybe improved on later models. Briggs & Stratton offers good support and info on their webpage.

If I were to buy a new mower, I'd probably go with either a low priced Craftsman or a top of the line Toro both with a B&S engine. A Honda GXV is probably all right heck maybe even the chinese clones of it are too. But Honda mowers are a little pricey and I think Toros are a better mower.

I changed the oil over the weekend, had a lone quart of 10W/30 motorcraft semi-syn so I dumped that in it. Waited 30 minutes for the oil to settle on the dipstick and left it at 3/4 full. It started without any smoke! Let it sit for 2 days and started it..and there is still some smoke but it is atleast 75% less smoke. It will smoke just a few seconds. I am happy for now.

Nice! It sounds like the oil level was just a tad too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back