Gas mowers almost non existent

For the first few years I stored it with Sta-bil, but then decided to experiment with half-and-half 87 and TruFuel. Exactly the same result, never a hiccup, starts every spring on the first pull.
For the first few years I stored it with Sta-bil, but then decided to experiment with half-and-half 87 and TruFuel. Exactly the same result, never a hiccup, starts every spring on the first pull.
I started using sta-bil marine and 93E10. My Sthil uses 89 or higher so I use 93 for everything. After three months of unused fuel I dump it and buy fresh. My Honda didn’t skip a beat. Hopefully this one will do the same.

I would never buy a piece of gas outdoor power equipment from Home Depot or Lowes after my own and my customers' experiences. Yeah the prices are cheaper, but if you have any issues with it they pretty much point fingers at each other then tell you to call the manufacturer.
My Troy bilt with the Honda 160 from Lowe’s is 15 years old, no issues. I took the ryobi back to Home Depot no questions asked.

I was at Lowe's several days and they have several mowers with B&S on sale. Even at WM has some

More motivation to keep my 20-year-old Troy-Bilt going.
there was discussion about that a long time ago about the energy it takes to crush a car. I think there's a lot of merit to keep things running especially if you're doing the maintenance and have had it for a long time. the price and taxes on new equipment is outrageous. I remember my grandma having me wash off the lawn mower with the garden hose underneath and going to find a Lawn-Boy green spray paint can to touch up if there was ever any spots that were starting to rust.

Returned my ryobi AWD at Home Depot today. Sucked cutting long Bermuda grass. Went to Lowe’s to get a Honda and gas mowers are almost non existent. All electric now. Settled for a Toro recycler at a power equipment store. I should have got the Honda last week when they had them. EGO has taken its place.
You did yourself a giant favor avoiding the Honda. I bought one back in 2021 from Home Depot only because they had nothing else. Really low in inventory at that time. The Honda with its plastic toy wheels/tires and the ridiculous thumb activated drive is horrible. You can’t mow a slope with the no gripping wheels/tires. The thumb drive is either your pushing the mower traditionally or chasing it. Mine is clattering like it’s fixing to sling the rod through the block. I really wouldn’t care…..
My rant…

When my gas 17.5 hp Craftsman rider is ready for retirement, I'll be purchasing a Ego 56v riding mower. Everything else including my snowblower ( Ego 56v 2-stage ) is battery powered with no issues.

I would never buy a piece of gas outdoor power equipment from Home Depot or Lowes after my own and my customers' experiences. Yeah the prices are cheaper, but if you have any issues with it they pretty much point fingers at each other then tell you to call the manufacturer.
I would normally agree, but I ordered a 42" Toro zero turn online from Home Depot in May of '20 during the Covid outbreak. I was happy when a local independent Toro power equipment dealer delivered it with their "For Service Call Midwest Power Equipment" sticker on it. Maybe I just got lucky. BTW, the same unit currently sells for 40% more than I paid.

I would like a cheap rider like the greenbean we used to have, tight turning radius, not bad on fuel and it could move the litter trailer, never a problem with belts but the harness and control wires cooroded

You did yourself a giant favor avoiding the Honda. I bought one back in 2021 from Home Depot only because they had nothing else. Really low in inventory at that time. The Honda with its plastic toy wheels/tires and the ridiculous thumb activated drive is horrible. You can’t mow a slope with the no gripping wheels/tires. The thumb drive is either your pushing the mower traditionally or chasing it. Mine is clattering like it’s fixing to sling the rod through the block. I really wouldn’t care…..
My rant…
From what I sounds like I dodge the bullet big time.

In my area I'm definitely seeing a lot of battery mower options but still several gas mowers to choose from. If anything, it seems that the amount of overall options has increased. My yard is small enough to go battery powered. Whenever my current equipment is worn out that's the direction I'll go. Could be awhile before that happens though.

Must be your local market. Just a few weeks ago, I walked down the mower aisle at my local Home Depot, just to see what the current offerings are. I was actually surprised that there weren't more battery mower offerings on the shelf. They had three different Toro battery models, but a lot more Toro gas options. Other batter options included the $1100 Milwaukee, a couple Ryobi, and Green Machine. Other gas options included Troy-Bilt. Murray, and Cub Cadet.
In So California I just did the same and had the opposite experience. Honda mowers gone, Toro and other electrics are it. I was thinking of buying a Honda before they bailed. HD is jumping the gun here.

Returned my ryobi AWD at Home Depot today. Sucked cutting long Bermuda grass. Went to Lowe’s to get a Honda and gas mowers are almost non existent. All electric now. Settled for a Toro recycler at a power equipment store. I should have got the Honda last week when they had them. EGO has taken its place.
Could be the electrics are not selling well and that's why there is so many of them in the stores. . The best selling time for mowers has passed and the stores are not going to stock up on models that could be left over going into fall and winter..

And what is available seems to be outrageously priced. Saw a 140CC Troy Bilt without self propel for $370!
That's the biggest issue right now. The cheapest 21" gas powered push mower at most stores is in that $300 range. These were $99 mowers 2yrs ago.

You can still find decent deals if you've got the time to mail order. A few months ago I picked up a cheap powersmart 209cc push mower online from Walmart for a spare. It's an oddball with a horizontal shaft engine. You can bag, mulch or side discharge with it. I got it for ~$180 shipped.

I am incredibly lucky to have a neighbor down the street from me who is super skilled at keeping small gas motors alive.

One of my customers had trouble paying for his car about a decade ago. He had a lawnmower repair business with too many mowers and not enough paying customers. I bought a solid Craftsman lawnmower from him for $100 and today it's still chopping away.

I tend to put a heavier oil in it (20W-50 vs. SAE 30) because the heat here in Georgia is absolutely brutal. I actually took our two car garage and made it a one car garage so that lawnmower no longer has to be exposed to the elements. I had a blue tarp all over and underneath it as well with bungee cords holding the whole thing up. But at this point in life with the kids in college and me having a dealership, I would rather have a one-car garage, keep the mower inside, and use the excess space for basic auto maintenance that I still like to do myself.

I do have a self-propelled push mower that I got for under $40 before the recession hit. Also a blower I never use, edger, and all the gardening tools that came from yard sales, freecycle, or folks I know who moved to apartments and retirement communities.

I am incredibly lucky to have a neighbor down the street from me who is super skilled at keeping small gas motors alive.

One of my customers had trouble paying for his car about a decade ago. He had a lawnmower repair business with too many mowers and not enough paying customers. I bought a solid Craftsman lawnmower from him for $100 and today it's still chopping away.

I tend to put a heavier oil in it (20W-50 vs. SAE 30) because the heat here in Georgia is absolutely brutal. I actually took our two car garage and made it a one car garage so that lawnmower no longer has to be exposed to the elements. I had a blue tarp all over and underneath it as well with bungee cords holding the whole thing up. But at this point in life with the kids in college and me having a dealership, I would rather have a one-car garage, keep the mower inside, and use the excess space for basic auto maintenance that I still like to do myself.

I do have a self-propelled push mower that I got for under $40 before the recession hit. Also a blower I never use, edger, and all the gardening tools that came from yard sales, freecycle, or folks I know who moved to apartments and retirement communities.
I run Amsoil small engine 5W30 in my 160. I’ve also ran left over 5W30 from oil changes. Handles the Texas heat no problem. Now I have the toro bs I may go to the 10W30/30 small engine.

Sounds a lot like my Toyota dealer.

Seriously, by a B&S and take it home. If it works out of the box, odds are good it will work for quite a while. If it runs like crap - just return it. I did this. I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest gas mower they had 9 years ago - it was up front "refurb" or return or whatever, was like 30% off. Took it home and it wouldn't start. I took it back, and bought the exact same mower brand new - a Toro with I think 145cc B&S? It worked fine and I literally have never had anything apart - just change the oil, plug and filter annually and run ethanol free gas in 9 years.

My rant…
Update: I found the source of the clattering noise. The cheap plastic shroud underneath that surrounds the blades has distorted and the tip of the blades were striking it especially after mowing for more than 20 minutes. This plastic is like what my granddaughters toys are made of. CHEAP! I did some surgery with my tin snips. Noise gone but this Honda mower is junk.

Back