Gas mowers almost non existent

Must be your local market. Just a few weeks ago, I walked down the mower aisle at my local Home Depot, just to see what the current offerings are. I was actually surprised that there weren't more battery mower offerings on the shelf. They had three different Toro battery models, but a lot more Toro gas options. Other batter options included the $1100 Milwaukee, a couple Ryobi, and Green Machine. Other gas options included Troy-Bilt. Murray, and Cub Cadet.

More motivation to keep my 20-year-old Troy-Bilt going.
My Troy bilt Honda 160 is still kickin 15 years. It need new wheels. The reason the ryobi my mother in law got the middle model. I used and was like this pretty cool. So decided on top of line one. Same battery as hers just AWD. Thick bermuda and 100 degree day it died. Cooled the batteries down, made a pass and died again.

I have a 10 year old Troy-Bilt with a Honda GCV160. It had some garbage or something in the carb one time, was surging. Put some seafoam in the gas and in 20 min later it was back to normal. Was my only issue with the mower ever.
I have had no issues with my B&S 6.5. It'll be with me until the piston shoots out through (or with) the head. I got a chance to use a 40V e mower when my neighbor moved and asked me to mow his lawn for the house listing. Big no-thanks. Maybe I'd need an 80V, but not making that investment until Red gives up.

Returned my ryobi AWD at Home Depot today. Sucked cutting long Bermuda grass. Went to Lowe’s to get a Honda and gas mowers are almost non existent. All electric now. Settled for a Toro recycler at a power equipment store. I should have got the Honda last week when they had them. EGO has taken its place.
Go to an ope store.

Must be your local market. Just a few weeks ago, I walked down the mower aisle at my local Home Depot, just to see what the current offerings are. I was actually surprised that there weren't more battery mower offerings on the shelf. They had three different Toro battery models, but a lot more Toro gas options. Other batter options included the $1100 Milwaukee, a couple Ryobi, and Green Machine. Other gas options included Troy-Bilt. Murray, and Cub Cadet. week they had Honda
A few weeks ago they had Honda. Non existent on their site now.

I have had no issues with my B&S 6.5. It'll be with me until the piston shoots out through (or with) the head. I got a chance to use a 40V e mower when my neighbor moved and asked me to mow his lawn for the house listing. Big no-thanks. Maybe I'd need an 80V, but not making that investment until Red gives up.
This is my first BS, lol….I said BS. It came with a plastic carburetor. Hopefully that doesn’t cause issues. No choke design.

I ordered my Toro from Mowersdirect.com . Free shipping . Decent selection of gas powered push mowers .

Reactions: JTK
This is my first BS, lol….I said BS. It came with a plastic carburetor. Hopefully that doesn’t cause issues. No choke design.
For the first few years I stored it with Sta-bil, but then decided to experiment with half-and-half 87 and TruFuel. Exactly the same result, never a hiccup, starts every spring on the first pull.

I tried the electric mower experience

for a small yard the top of the line greenworks 80v would be ok.

For my yard a 4ah and 2ah (80v mind you) that is the same as a 16ah and 8ah @20v
the 2ah wouldnt even complete my trimming. the 4ah did.. but I had no confidence that both batteries would mow my yard 1time... its not that big.
the package says 3/4 acre mower.. it would be ok upto 1/4 acre with both batteries.

also its not that convienent to remove and charge the batteries and carry them back and forth.. alot easier to keep 1gal of gas in the shed.

the killer was the propulsion system. There was a good 1-2s lag before it reacted to trigger
and you had to let off the propulsion.. then push mower forward a foot to unlock the wheels from the drive
before it would let you pull it backwards.

very clunky.. since I use it for trimming 90% of the time.. and maybe mow whole yard in an emergency ie the tractor broke down.... it wasnt what I needed.

The wheel drive also sounded like some really anemic motors going 10k rpm with gear reduction.

If you stored it in garage.. and had a small yard.. it would have been much of a plus.

So I fixed the broken 1 year old gas yardforce.. mowed with it once... and now the new carb leaks the gas out into the crankcase.....

Might jusst throw in the towel on that Pos... and buy a toro gas this fall if I can find a clearance.

IF I had a small yard I'd buy the HART electric 40v that comes with 6ah battery and is clearanced at walmart for about $200.

For my use 90% of the time the greenworks 80v would have been ok.. but at 500$ I expected much more than ok.
also the drain on the 2ah in turbo was noticeable.. I wonder if that battery would make it 5 years... but it came with costco 8 year warranty
on battery so that wasnt a major concern.

Not a fan of battery powered mowers as i suspect the experience will be disappointing long term wrt battery life and cost; that being said corded mowers are the bomb if your situation warrants it, as mine did.

I spent < $1 in repairs and maintenance over the almost 2 decades i had one; it met an untimely death due to the behavioral issues of a friend's son when my friend was borrowing it

Nearby Lowes has (5) gas models to select from with ~25 in stock between them. For battery-powered mowers, they do have (14) to pick from but many (from what I've seen) are the same base mower, they just have variations based on batteries, i.e. 6 Ah model, 7.5 Ah model, 10 Ah model - and that's just from EGO brand).

Rural King has a (Chinese) 200cc 21in push mower for less than $200 at the moment. Just for grins, I got one for my property in TN. Seems to have plenty of power, cuts Bahia grass without complaint. The deck does seem quite thin, however. Time will tell.

Back