"Revived" two Briggs and Stratton quantum push mowers

Well. This DID NOT go as planed... in the least 😆 I have a personal Husky 22 inch AWD mower with the 6.75 B&S 190CC quantum engine that I am sure lived a HARD life in the past with some serious hours on said machine. The 6.75 uses zero oil, but sounds like something is lightly "knocking" or "ticking" inside the engine at certain RPMS. Sound has never gotten worse over the years, and it always starts and never smokes.

I absolutely love the husky AWD setup because "hills" (Up up state NY 😂 ) even if the mower weights almost 100 lbs, it does not feel like it most of the time haha.
The plan "was" going to do an engine swap on the Husky. I jumped on Marketplace and found a 22 inch Toro Recycler 7.25 190CC non runner but garage kept push mower. The toro only had a few seasons total worth of use and then the owners could not get it started a few years ago and bought a ride on. Fast forward a few years that push mower ends up on Marketplace for $40 and I pick it it up & bring it home with the intention of swapping the engine over to the Husky. The Genuine air filter was completely clogged, and it looked like the owners replaced the spark plug with NGK to try and get it going and gave up. I drain the white cloudy fuel, give the carb a cleaning, gap the plug, and tighten every bolt. The headbolts I could almost unscrew with my hand. Replace the air filter, and change the dark/used oil, filled the tank with premium E-0, and gave it a pull. 2nd pulls it fires up & sounds really healthy with a nice smoke show from the many years of sitting. The smoke cleared up and I decided to "Try it out" What I noticed right away its alot lighter if only RWD but I can "swing" it around easier..

I like the Toro almost instantly and feel bad about parting it out for the Husky. I said "NO PROBLEM" I will just look for another parts mower with the Quantum series engine. Back on marketplace and I see listed is the "new" version of my personal Husky mower with the 7.25 190CC engine.. It's again a non runner for a couple years, but garaged kept machine. And again the owners bought it brand new a few years ago, used it a few times on their postal stamp size lawn and again could not get it started in the spring so they just hired a lawn guy to handle it. It sat in garage for a couple years, until the owners could not even fit the car in garage, so they listed it for $75 just to get it gone. long story short there, I pick it up bring it home and do my routine. Again the fuel is very white cloudy with like a slime? in bottom of carb bowl.. change oil, tighten all bolts, clean carb and tank check gap on plug ect, 2 pulls later she fires up, and it did not even smoke..

Now I am up to push mower number three. When all I was looking for was a "parts" mower to keep the "OG" husky awd going. Unfortunately it is looking like the "OG" is going to be retired and used for parts to keep the other two mowers going.

I really like the older style "L" / Flathead B&S engines. They are extremely bulletproof and seem to run forever on sometimes the original oil for a decade or more. Most can also fix a flathead with the most basic Walmart tool set and keep it going for many years. I've read because EPA ect, the "L" head had to be retired for OHV design around mid 2015? That also seems to be around the same time "just add oil" never change system" appeared. While the newer OHV engines are a little smoother, a little more efficient, and even a little more "powerful" under certain conditions I do not believe they will last anywhere near as long as a good ol flathead, just because of the "Never change oil" and cheaper components. I still change the oil on a OHV never change system for a couple clients - just tip it on its side and drain out when warm, and what I have noticed that oil comes out much darker and even appears "thinner" like the OHV design is "harder" on the oil. This is just an observation.

But here they are and I am staying off of marketplace for a little while. 🤪

IMG_2956.jpeg
IMG_2957.jpeg
IMG_2958.jpeg
IMG_2959.jpeg
IMG_2991.jpeg
IMG_2992.jpeg
IMG_2994.jpeg
IMG_2988.jpeg

I hate the Husqvarna AWD system, whoever designed that idler system and the belt gaurds is a complete moron, ever few years it's the same thing, they constantly destroy idlers and belts because the gaurd is worthless, infact it's worse than worthless, it's counter productive and just directs grass into the belt/idlers and ruins then every few seasons. I have used FWD and RWD mowers that are 20 years old with the original belt that still works, I don't know how Husqvarna screwed up so badly on those AWD mowers.

I hate the Husqvarna AWD system, whoever designed that idler system and the belt gaurds is a complete moron, ever few years it's the same thing, they constantly destroy idlers and belts because the gaurd is worthless, infact it's worse than worthless, it's counter productive and just directs grass into the belt/idlers and ruins then every few seasons. I have used FWD and RWD mowers that are 20 years old with the original belt that still works, I don't know how Husqvarna screwed up so badly on those AWD mowers.
That is really wild as I never had one problem with the AWD system / belts or idlers. I do keep the bottom of the deck and inside the guards clean though.

Same engine, minus the muffler guard on a Toro Recycler my mom got at a hardware store when I was in high school.
The mower had an aluminum deck, push only and had no side chute capability or rear bagger included. 190cc's.

We kids moved out and my dad got a Snapper rear engine rider for that house. At my parents Port Clinton summer house, my dad recently bought a Toro Super Recycler with the Personal Pace and the 190cc OHV engine. Dad loves it. He wanted a powerful mower.

My younger sister lives in the first house I owned, my parents bought from me to "rent" to her. It's on .34 of an acre. She uses a 21" Honda powered Cub Cadet push on it. She has a Lawn-Boy AWD she trashed picked and doesn't like it, wants to be in control and uses the Cub Cadet. I ran the Lawn-Boy dry, changed the oil and fogged the cylinder, but the mower just sits in her shed.

I started a thread on it a few years ago. https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/mower-find-of-the-month.331209/

190cc? would that be considered a big block?

Went to home depot and all they had were small block 150cc Toro 22" recyclers

163cc can be ordered for $800-1000, and the 190cc were $900, but both were online only.

I have a 2 year old GTS150cc Toro 22" recycler that is barely tolerable. The 4 year old 163cc Toro recycler definitely kicked it in the behind with cutting capability and time. Both are RWD and work well enough for the city lots. The plastic carbs need regular cleaning. If no intake fuel pickup filter or gravity screen, do recommend an inline fuel line filter. Its very common to see these B&S mowers out with the trash because of carb issues and the headgasket issues.

HF around here doesn't sell the solution anymore.... inventory on their vertical shaft engines are nil locally. Neighbor replaced his full of BS mower with an HF engine a few years ago and its a really strong mower.

It's the bigger Briggs flat-head, but a 190cc flathead is probably about as powerful as their 163cc OHV engine.
never mind that, I see you were replying to the person above you not the OP since the Quantum is also 190cc.

The 190cc and possibly 223cc Briggs are about the biggest thing you could fit on a standard push lawn mower.

This year Scag introduced a new line of commercial 21in mowers, you can get one with the 224cc Command pro, for the perfectly reasonable price of about 2 grand:LOL:. I've seen people swap those onto the 21in Toro Commercial/Exmark decks to get something with a little more umph than the 180cc Kawasaki. I think the 223cc Briggs will fit anywhere the 190cc will and is available in the crankshaft lengths and diameters appropriate for most mowing decks.

I'll buy the HF motor over any briggs motor for a repower.

I like the Toro 22" "personal pace" rwd ... just mad that its capability dropped with the engine downgrade.

Really wished that someone would come out with something like a 24" cut with a 200-250cc engine, maybe even a low rpm torquey motor with a geared blade.

I see those ~200cc Hondas at Lowes every time I go there.... I should buy about 20 and preserve them in the basement or attic, and then sell them in a 5-10 years or so. Neighbors have been burning out their e-mowers and killing those expensive batteries rapidly. They all sound quiet and run tolerably well the 1st time.

$2k for a scag 21" cut, no thanks... is it front all or rear wheel drive?

Toro also has some dipped in gold 21" mowers with Kawasaki and Honda engines

And an upgrade to those timemaster 30" mowers that had too many negative reviews for me to consider:

At the Scag/turfmaster price point, one starts to think about small entry level zeroturns too often

That Scag 21" mower unboxed with the 173cc engine weighs 132 pounds without the bagger. Add 6 pounds for the larger engine and another 5 with the bag on both. Screw that. People seem to forget in the typical residential neighborhood, you gotta pull your mower backwards more often than you think dealing with obstacles.

Good finds.

I really don't know how all these people go through all these mowers. I have a 190CC push no name mower at my old house. It had the big wheels on the back and it worked fine for 10 years - I gave it away in the move, it was too heavy for my small yard anyway.

Bought the cheapest, lightest 140cc B/S troy bilt Lowes had 9 years ago. I change the oil, plug and air filter once per year, run E0 and never drain the gas but our mowing season is about 9 months. Never had an issue with it either.

Guess we will see how long all these new e-mowers last.

Those Toro recyclers are a sweet mower. Does yours have the 4 blade set-up?

got a new toro 22 inch all wheel drive with B&S 163cc,,works really good,plenty of power,was $499.00 at ace

Good finds.

I really don't know how all these people go through all these mowers. I have a 190CC push no name mower at my old house. It had the big wheels on the back and it worked fine for 10 years - I gave it away in the move, it was too heavy for my small yard anyway.

Bought the cheapest, lightest 140cc B/S troy bilt Lowes had 9 years ago. I change the oil, plug and air filter once per year, run E0 and never drain the gas but our mowing season is about 9 months. Never had an issue with it either.

Guess we will see how long all these new e-mowers last.
I agree with you. I read about folks wanting electric to avoid all the hassles of gas equipment.. All my stuff except chainsaw and blower is at least 10yrs old and requires practically no maintenance yearly.. My dad has a push mower from the 60's with its original 3.5 Briggs that's still going..

I'm using a 20 year old Murray 22" high-wheel push mower with a Quantum 5.0 HP to get to the small areas of my yard, that the riding mower won't fit / reach. Aside from blades, I've only had to replace the primer bulb and fuel line on it.

I'm using a 20 year old Murray 22" high-wheel push mower with a Quantum 5.0 HP to get to the small areas of my yard, that the riding mower won't fit / reach. Aside from blades, I've only had to replace the primer bulb and fuel line on it.
The big issue I've had with primer style Quantums is to try to avoid removing the air filter housing if possible because they seem to never seat right ever again if you remove them because they warp and then the primer won't work.

I also like the old flat head B&S motors. Last forever and easy to repair. When I was young I could tear one down and overhaul it in the dark.

Back