Just purchased a Lithium Powered Lawnmower

A battery powered lawnmower can burn stuff down if you damage it, or just if it's defective. A gas powered one can do it if you're dumb or careless.
So that covers both-doesn't it. The was basically my point.
We got this everything "EV" negative fascination on this board. Don't we?

Never thought I would do it anytime soon, spent a pretty good dollar on a self powered 21 inch walk behind Lithium Powered Lawn Mower.
We just moved into our new house and figured it was time as I prefer not to store the gas here, change plugs, air filters and oil.
This is supposed to be the one, powerful enough for cutting a thick lawn. It comes with 3 different bladé options. Mulching, Bagging and one compromise for maximum battery per charge.

I always enjoyed cutting the lawn, on purpose most times I would cut it at hottest time of the day in SC typically 93 to 100 degrees for a good 6 weeks, other times I would wait till evening. Im shocked at all the young people who pay landscapers. I mean, I go to a gym to stay fit, cutting the lawn to me is just another workout. Im looking forward to the first cut, it's new sod but looks like it should be ready to cut in a few days.
I will be honest about one thing, I wont miss the heat coming off the gasoline engine in the summertime.

All told it was no more then $200 over what I would have paid for a gas powered. There is one up model from this one, not sure of the benefit, many models below it, not sure if that matters either. I did want the 3 blades. I think I might mulch, my past lawn that was not possible as it was so thick. This grass is different, so nice to have options, mulching blade and a lift blade for best bagging should I decide to bag instead. I wont need maximum battery blade for my lot. There is a model right below this one without the extra blades and might save you $100 or more. I didnt check if there was anything else different as I wanted those blades. I also got another 7% off, 5% from my credit card and 2% from Rakuten

EGO 2135SP

View attachment 151371View attachment 151373View attachment 151374

Charger measures 11 inches high and fan cooled =
View attachment 151380
My neighbor has an Ego and after two seasons of mowing can't get through the entire small residential lawn on one charge. Hope your warranty will cover replacement batteries. 2. How hot did your gas push mower get? I've never "felt" the heat coming off of mine.

The Masterforce 80V brushless mower is made in the same overseas factory as the 80V mowers offered by Harbor Freight (Atlas), Lowes (Kobalt), Greenworks, and Snapper. The major difference is the shape/form factor of the Li-Ion battery and minor differences in the color schemes and throttle and drive controls.

ATLAS Mower
KOBALT Mower
GREENWORKS Mower
SNAPPER Mower
You don't want a Kobalt from lowes. Apparently The Chickanic channel she and her husband own a repair shop. An older guy brought his Kobalt push mower in after hitting a small object (stump or something). Apparently the piece that attaches to the blade and is designed to shear, keeping the motor and shaft from damage isn't available. So the guy purchased a $500 mower and there isn't a replacement piece.

So that covers both-doesn't it. The was basically my point.
We got this everything "EV" negative fascination on this board. Don't we?
I think it goes both ways here. There are people overly negative about it and plenty more ready to defend them.

You don't want a Kobalt from lowes. Apparently The Chickanic channel she and her husband own a repair shop. An older guy brought his Kobalt push mower in after hitting a small object (stump or something). Apparently the piece that attaches to the blade and is designed to shear, keeping the motor and shaft from damage isn't available. So the guy purchased a $500 mower and there isn't a replacement piece.
Chickanic is usually right 90% of the time; however, when she is wrong (as in this case), she is typically way off base. The Kobalt mower has a 5 yr. warranty and Lowe's will just replace the entire mower and batteries if it is not repairable. Also, I crossed-referenced the broken blade fan mount part to an identical Greenworks made Snapper 80V mower and found the part available and in-stock from 3 different online sources for $11 plus shipping.

Here is another thread on BITOG where several members dispute Chickanic's claim that TruFuel pre-mixed canned fuel is detrimental to 2-cycle OPE. IME, TruFuel runs great in all of my 2-cycle lawn equipment, including Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Redmax and Kawasaki.

PROBLEMS WITH USING TRUFUEL???

Chickanic is usually right 90% of the time; however, when she is wrong (as in this case), she is typically way off base. The Kobalt mower has a 5 yr. warranty and Lowe's will just replace the entire mower and batteries if it is not repairable. Also, I crossed-referenced the broken blade fan mount part to an identical Greenworks made Snapper 80V mower and found the part available and in-stock from 3 different online sources for $11 plus shipping.

Here is another thread on BITOG where several members dispute Chickanic's claim that TruFuel pre-mixed canned fuel is detrimental to 2-cycle OPE. IME, TruFuel runs great in all of my 2-cycle lawn equipment, including Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Redmax and Kawasaki.

Don't know about the Kobalt, but I've had issues while using Trufuel and I noticed it smelled weird. No confirmation that it was in fact the fuel but she's not the only one I've heard of this from. So I'm sticking to other brands from now on, since the price is almost the same and I can find Husqvarna or Stihl fuel easily enough.

My neighbor has an Ego and after two seasons of mowing can't get through the entire small residential lawn on one charge. Hope your warranty will cover replacement batteries. 2. How hot did your gas push mower get? I've never "felt" the heat coming off of mine.
I haven't felt the heat coming off my push mower in a long time but I have a large lawn now which I mow with the 50" cub cadet (2007 LT1050). I can feel the heat off of it but it doesn't get parked right close to combustibles and the push mower is doing light work around the trees and tight areas so it's not working hard either. It's a 1999. Both I have no plans of replacing anytime soon. We'll see in the future how battery replacements are after 20 years on these battery mowers.

A quick google search found fires from both DeWalt and Hilti batteries. I couldn't share the YouTube video as I'm on vacation and internet is slow.

All of these could possibly have been from improper use, they get used by construction workers out in the rain, snow and ice, dropped on the ground etc. but my point is it's something to think about when storing inside. I'd feel safer with them in my shed but minus 20 in the winter would not be good for them.

Chances of one burning up if you take care of it are probably slim with the better brands like these.
Agree.

I have seen some issues with the DeWalt Flex Volt for sure. But rare with the good old 20VMax. As I stew on this and the Hilti issues - yes some of it is abuse and funky storage, some of it is charger design and a lot of it is energy density. Let's face it the more power per size/weight (mass) the "better" the battery.

I now have a lot of Li batteries. Not feeling like counting them!

Big stack of the DeWalt 20VMax. All OEM. Best Oldest from 2014 and still works. My oldest 2013 does work OK, but the charge doesn't hold like it was new and up to last year purchase. Probably 20 or so. All good.

Large stack of Milwaukee 12V - mix of OEM and Waitley and PowerExtra. Including the Waitley big boys. All good.

Expensive stack of Greenworks 80V - OEM (including one 5Amp) and single POS aftermarket (it's like 1/2 the rated 3A)

Various stack of Makita, etc specialty tools - didn't wanna buy tools, but did, no issues

Bike stack - Bosch for wifey and me bikes 36V 400 and 750W - good but don't even want to know replacement cost hahaha

Agree.

I have seen some issues with the DeWalt Flex Volt for sure. But rare with the good old 20VMax. As I stew on this and the Hilti issues - yes some of it is abuse and funky storage, some of it is charger design and a lot of it is energy density. Let's face it the more power per size/weight (mass) the "better" the battery.

I now have a lot of Li batteries. Not feeling like counting them!

Big stack of the DeWalt 20VMax. All OEM. Best Oldest from 2014 and still works. My oldest 2013 does work OK, but the charge doesn't hold like it was new and up to last year purchase. Probably 20 or so. All good.

Large stack of Milwaukee 12V - mix of OEM and Waitley and PowerExtra. Including the Waitley big boys. All good.

Expensive stack of Greenworks 80V - OEM (including one 5Amp) and single POS aftermarket (it's like 1/2 the rated 3A)

Various stack of Makita, etc specialty tools - didn't wanna buy tools, but did, no issues

Bike stack - Bosch for wifey and me bikes 36V 400 and 750W - good but don't even want to know replacement cost hahaha
Before the Hilti drills (36v) we had smaller Bosch. Maybe 18v, can't remember. But we had 3 and all of them held up for years. I had a battery start to get short on charge and ordered a new one through our supplier. It had 50% more capacity than the original one (physically larger too) and made that drill last a lot longer. But the Hilti is better for the heavier use we have (drilling in limestone for 5/8” or 1" iron property markers. The Bosch were lighter and better for drilling small holes for nails. I think we had one Bosch battery fail but that was it.
We have many more lithium ion batteries but they're smaller ones for GPS and robotic total stations, data collectors etc. They occasionally fail but no fires, knock on wood.
Oldest battery I have is the Lenovo ThinkPad extended battery in my 2013 t530. Still has half it's capacity maybe.

It's a yard mower, not a bush hog.

That's my issue with America. "Hey replace it and give the consumer another one." This is part of the reason we have a throw away society. That's interesting if indeed the snapper part fits, as I was under the impression that alot of parts didn't fit. And to be fair to chicanic I myself would have looked but not thought that another brand wouldn't have parts that would fit. Are they owned by the same conglomerate?

That's my issue with America. "Hey replace it and give the consumer another one." This is part of the reason we have a throw away society. That's interesting if indeed the snapper part fits, as I was under the impression that alot of parts didn't fit. And to be fair to chicanic I myself would have looked but not thought that another brand wouldn't have parts that would fit. Are they owned by the same conglomerate?
The Masterforce 80V brushless mower is made in the same overseas factory as the 80V mowers offered by Harbor Freight (Atlas), Lowes (Kobalt), Greenworks, and Snapper. The major difference is the shape/form factor of the Li-Ion battery and minor differences in the color schemes and throttle and drive controls.

ATLAS Mower
KOBALT Mower
GREENWORKS Mower
SNAPPER Mower

I also don't agree with all the people saying that she's wrong about Trufuel because they haven't had a bad bottle yet with a sample size of whatever they bought for their own equipment for a few years. She likely gets a lot larger sample size than most of us.

Our old neighbors (at our townhouse - very small yard) had issues with their Ryobi batteries failing altogether and usually they would have to recharge to finish the tiny lawn. My father in law also had issues with his last one.
My mother in law has the middle modle. Has two batteries. Loved it. Never quit all summer. I decided to buy the AWD and my faithful 16 year old Honda 160 had to finish.

what piece? metal? plastic? either can be welded back.

what piece? metal? plastic? either can be welded back.
You don't want to weld the piece that attaches to the blade. It's designed to shear saving the blade and shaft. It's plastic some things aren't designed to be fixed.

You don't want to weld the piece that attaches to the blade. It's designed to shear saving the blade and shaft. It's plastic some things aren't designed to be fixed.
So it could have been fixed then. If what you are saying is true, Chickanic didnt want to work on it and that was her prerogative from a liability standpoint. She has long been against battery OPE for obvious reasons.

So it could have been fixed then. If what you are saying is true, Chickanic didnt want to work on it and that was her prerogative from a liability standpoint. She has long been against battery OPE for obvious reasons.
No you don't repair a part that is a safety part. Apparently a different poster from earlier said that a few brands are similar underneath. If your blade mount on a gas mower breaks you don't repair it, you replace it.

The broken part in question is a plastic fan disc that acts as a spacer for the blade bolt and blows the grass clippings away from the motor. It is available online as a Snapper or Briggs and Stratton Part #771606 for ~$30 now. The part is shown as #33-1 in the exploded view below.

1707169635908.jpg

Back