Anyone using a home security system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will 3rd the others that mentioned SimpliSafe. We've had it installed for about 18 months now and love it. We were able to start out with a small system and add additional sensors as we saw fit. In addition to 10 entry sensors and 2 motion sensors we also have 4 of their smoke detectors, 1 carbon monoxide detector, and 1 flood sensor all of which are also monitored by at no extra cost.

I have a security DVR and cameras around the perimeter of the house. They're set to detect motion, so I get emails whenever there's any "activity" detected.

I've been thinking of picking up a Z-Wave controller (probably a "Mi Casa Verde") and putting up door & window sensors, as well receptacles and switches, so the house looks more "lived in" when we're away.

I've stayed away from an actual alarm system because of the monthly cost and how low in priority their calls are to police dispatch.

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Mossberg 500, Springfield 1911, both great home security systems.
So who uses the guns when your not home? Years ago I had my own alarm company and my best customers were the ones that had just had a break in, and were cleaned out.Before that, you couldn't convince those people it was worthwhile having. Now you have to remember most the big companies Adt, Slomins, and others have a come on package they offer for free.They generally will not give 100% coverage unless you live in a box with no windows or walls.So additional equipment will have to be purchased.The most trouble free devices, meaning less false alarms are contacts.Motion sensors have gotten alot better thru the years, but still they can be effected by the environment.But cover large areas efficiently. Cameras have the ability to photograph anyone in your property, which can help catch the intruder.But the better systems are custom tailored to the building your trying to protect.And they are not cheap.What I'm saying is a $99 system isn't going to protect your 6,000 plus sq ft home.,,,

Originally Posted By: Donald
Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I have one, it's called a Mastiff. Works very well and effective.

What kind? English, Neopolitan, Bull, Corso?

I have a 110lb Bull and a 60lb Corso/Bulldog mix. As the name implies, they are a massive dog.

My parents just lost their 110lb female Corso. I have two Staffordshire Terriers (75lb & 40lb) that don't guard anything. They love everyone!

Last edited:
I have a cat that bites! Wonder how well that goes.

Though, in my experience, a security system around here would only be good for the stickers. Police don't come when you call.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
A very close friend of mine had ADT, had numerous false alarms. Then one night he heard something downstairs....It was a man, luckily he had a 9mm and told the guy to scram or he would shoot. He called ADT right after he called 911. ADT said there was no break-in. He found a broken window where the dude crawled in.

IMHO, nothing beats a dog and a gun. Time tested, ballistics proven.

Lucky guy. If he were in my house, there would be no telling him to scram.

He is a NY native, was probably terrified to pull the trigger.

Shoot an intruder in NY and you go to jail longer than the burgular and will likely be sued (and lose to) the intruder.

Last edited:
You're correct....the $99 system is just a fishing line to attract potential customers.....ours for a 3500 sq ft house was much more expensive but I also added quite a bit to it. I then added alarm video and upgraded our control panels so I could access the entire system wirelessly.

We NEVER leave the house unarmed.....system and our person. My wife arms the system anytime she is there by herself since our place is so secluded. Besides, our watch animals are only hazardous to those allergic to cats!

We have the house, man cave, and separate garage alarmed with video also monitoring the man cave and garage. The monthly monitoring fee isn't that bad and gives us peace of mind. I am convinced the smoke alarms potentially saved our other house from a fire as I mentioned in an earlier reply.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
Mossberg 500, Springfield 1911, both great home security systems.
So who uses the guns when your not home? Years ago I had my own alarm company and my best customers were the ones that had just had a break in, and were cleaned out.Before that, you couldn't convince those people it was worthwhile having. Now you have to remember most the big companies Adt, Slomins, and others have a come on package they offer for free.They generally will not give 100% coverage unless you live in a box with no windows or walls.So additional equipment will have to be purchased.The most trouble free devices, meaning less false alarms are contacts.Motion sensors have gotten alot better thru the years, but still they can be effected by the environment.But cover large areas efficiently. Cameras have the ability to photograph anyone in your property, which can help catch the intruder.But the better systems are custom tailored to the building your trying to protect.And they are not cheap.What I'm saying is a $99 system isn't going to protect your 6,000 plus sq ft home.,,,

My Irish setter does, but I wouldn't be afraid of him, I'd be more afraid of the little mutt that's 25 lbs vs the full size setter

Thank you everyone for the replies. I am looking more into SimpliSafe now thanks to your suggestions. Much appreciated for pointing me in that directioN!

A few things...

If you are home, I can pretty much guarantee that an experienced adult male home invader can be inside your house and to your bedroom long before the police arrive. Thus, you need a way to defend yourself and your family.

If you are not home, the police may respond in time to catch the burglars in the act. However, they may not. In such a case, insurance on your home and its contents will be valuable (as well as riders for jewelry, firearms, and anything else not covered by your main policy). Talk to your insurance provider and consider buying additional coverage.

In either situation, cameras can play a vital role. Quality cameras and related equipment (DVR, computer, etc) are pretty expensive. It is dark half the time and goblins tend to come out at night. A camera that can take a quality image at night will cost $$$. You also want software that will only record if movement is detected so your DVR doesn't fill up with 23.75 hours of your empty front porch with .25 hours of the paperboy and girl scout cookie sellers.

If you get an alarm system, I strongly recommend getting cellular backup. Cutting a landline (if you even have one these days) is easy and common.

The first priority in any home invasion is the safety of the occupants. An alarm system or a cop that's 5 (or 10 or 30) minutes away does not protect anyone. Your safety is YOUR responsibility. The money spent on a fully featured alarm system is better spent on a proper home defense firearm, training on how to use it, and a satisfactory storage device for it.

Second to that would be sufficient insurance coverage to replace damaged or stolen property.

Also, many burglaries are perpetrated by people who "know" the owner of the house. This includes meth-head cousins, your daughter's thug ex-boyfriend, the drummer is your son's band, the plumber's helper, the guys that installed your carpet, etc. Be selective about who you let into your home. Be VERY selective about who you tell that you have firearms, precious metals, jewelry, and other pricey and portable items.

Take simple, common-sense, inexpensive approaches to securing your home. Lock your doors and windows, even when you're home. Do not leave your garage door open all Saturday afternoon with your fancy Snap-On roller in full view. Keep blinds and drapes drawn to minimize sight lines into your house (use sheer curtains to allow natural light in). Reinforce your door jambs with something like Door Jamb Armor. Know your neighbors and be on civil terms with them. Plant aggressive/unpleasant foliage around your home's perimeter.

My employer is an Alarm.com partner. Some of the products and features provided by Alarm.com are pretty cool. Smartphone and internet access to cameras is neat. They offer a bunch of home automation tools too.

Last edited:
+1 on the cellular backup and you made a good post strat81.

My wife and I practice how to react to someone coming upstairs and how long it would take someone at full run to make it to our bedroom.

Although a nuisance at times, we keep our alarm "verbal" which tells us what door/window has been opened.

We keep (and have for quite a while) firearms in almost every room of the house since we were once the victims of a firearms-related crime....as a matter of fact, having a firearm available and at-the-ready probably saved at least my wifes life.

Our system is configured in a way that when we pull up to the house, we can see that the system is still armed (we set it on Instant whenever we leave) and we can arm/disarm it via remote and/or smartphone.

Alarm systems require a thoughtful approach as to how you want it configured and what works for you.

I have TWC Intelligenthome. I made a thread back when it was installed in May. We've been really pleased with it, the app works well, it does what it's supposed to do. The fact that it's been uneventful is a good thing for an alarm system. We also have a camera, that has always worked. The one time the power went out for an extended period of time, it worked just fine on the cellular and battery backup.

Full Disclosure: I work for TWC so I got a discount on it, but I love the set up either way. I don't even know why keypad on wall exclusive systems are still so popular. I like being able to disarm/arm it from my phone :p

If you don't have TWC in your area, it's a moot point, obviously

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
A good practical thread would be on good home safeguards to protect one's home. Not dogs, guns or alarms - they're obvious. But the best ways to secure doors, windows, basements, garages, how to or to not illuminate, etc.

Good topic. "Hurricane codes" are a good place to start, especially with windows. Commercial-grade, metal-framed doors are another good addition. Thorny bushes below ground-accessible windows are available for most climates, and can be decorative too.

The big catch to all of this is that if it's hard for bad guys to get in, it's hard for good guys to get in too (i.e., firefighters).

Many of the above ideas can be pricey too, especially for an existing structure.

There's a balance between cost, ease of ingress/egress, and strength. The perfect balance will be different for everyone.

The best home security system is a safe city/neighborhood.

My front door, garage door, patio doors and all windows are never locked 24/7, except when we are on vacation. Never had any brake-in in my home or any neighbor for 15+ years.

The LS400 is park on the street unlocked, with the key in the center armrest compartment and never had any problem.

Back when I used to travel we had a security system with ADT, primarily for my wife's comfort since we were then, as we are now, in a rural area. We have a security system in our current home, but it's extremely rare that we use it, and it's not a monitored system. When we travel we have a house sitter, when we're gone for the afternoon, given our location I'm not concerned about a break in. We rarely lock our doors, and it's not uncommon to leave the garage and/or shop door open if I leave for an hour or two.

I've never felt the need to hide behind a gun and don't own one.

I too find it sad to live in such fear behind guns, but can appreciate if people are living with a bad event in their history, or a rural place where they fear coming home to burglars, that they could justify it. Living in a good place is such a key thing, but good places can be targets for theft since it tends to draw more well to do people. Thus common sense tactics are key.

I just got off the phone with a friend. He had a metal coffee can full of change on his computer table and went to put some coins in it. It was not there. Knowing he didn't move it, he still checked the house...just in case (I got a chuckle out of this!). He noticed his bedroom blind was a little off and then saw the screen had been removed. VOILA!

Nothing (AFAIK right now) else was taken. Other items that could have easily been taken were left. He thinks it may be a young man across the street, but no proof. Very strange.

We got to talking about wireless cameras for the home. Will have to look into it.

I have a real alarm system with cellular backup and 24 zones.. A very large smart Doberman Pincher and both myself and my wife are armed. I dont use the alarm the only feature that is on now is the feature that lets us know when a door or window is opened. If someone comes in and im not home the dog will rip them apart or my wife will blow lots of holes in the person.
I also have hidden video cameras that record off premises only because i got them free lol

Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Nothing (AFAIK right now) else was taken. Other items that could have easily been taken were left. He thinks it may be a young man across the street, but no proof. Very strange.

We got to talking about wireless cameras for the home. Will have to look into it.

A game camera might help, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have a real alarm system with cellular backup and 24 zones.. A very large smart Doberman Pincher and both myself and my wife are armed. I dont use the alarm the only feature that is on now is the feature that lets us know when a door or window is opened. If someone comes in and im not home the dog will rip them apart or my wife will blow lots of holes in the person.
I also have hidden video cameras that record off premises only because i got them free lol

Dogs cant be subdued easily with food, drugs or other means?

I get that having it and being armed when home might give peace of mind, but there is a real boogeyman fear of a home invasion when home that I dont really take much stock in. A burglar doesnt want you home or to know they are there when doing their job. Thats why timers and such do such a good job of preventing access. Fear by most smash and grab criminals is too high, and chances are youre not important enough for anything more.

But I dont get why you wouldnt set your alarm when exiting your home. Maybe you do and just dont say it. I just cant understand why you wouldnt put those multiplexed sensors to watch many places at once, vs a dog that may or mayy not be there, awake, etc.

Just thinking out loud here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back