Anyone using a home security system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I have a real alarm system with cellular backup and 24 zones.. A very large smart Doberman Pincher and both myself and my wife are armed. I dont use the alarm the only feature that is on now is the feature that lets us know when a door or window is opened. If someone comes in and im not home the dog will rip them apart or my wife will blow lots of holes in the person.
I also have hidden video cameras that record off premises only because i got them free lol

Dogs cant be subdued easily with food, drugs or other means?

I get that having it and being armed when home might give peace of mind, but there is a real boogeyman fear of a home invasion when home that I dont really take much stock in. A burglar doesnt want you home or to know they are there when doing their job. Thats why timers and such do such a good job of preventing access. Fear by most smash and grab criminals is too high, and chances are youre not important enough for anything more.

But I dont get why you wouldnt set your alarm when exiting your home. Maybe you do and just dont say it. I just cant understand why you wouldnt put those multiplexed sensors to watch many places at once, vs a dog that may or mayy not be there, awake, etc.

Just thinking out loud here.

A guard dog is almost the same deterant as a person being home, maybe better depending on their bark, and they will be awake as soon as anyone starts opening a window if not before. I only have experience with my livestock guard dogs, but they take their job seriously. New noises or strange cars coming down the driveway get their attention and seems to wake them up instantly. I have seen the odd set of car tracks go halfway up our driveway and then stop when they get within barking range of the dogs, maybe the dogs were a deterant?
While on "Alert" food or anything else seems to be secondary for them as well. Our have left treats like beef liver in the bowl, when a coyote howls close by to go run it off.

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: Toy4x4
Nothing (AFAIK right now) else was taken. Other items that could have easily been taken were left. He thinks it may be a young man across the street, but no proof. Very strange.

We got to talking about wireless cameras for the home. Will have to look into it.

A game camera might help, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Don't they have a flash, though? The thief will just take the camera after the flash giveaway. Maybe an infrared camera with flash?

response time is the issue, thieves are long gone by the time police arrive. Speaking to local police the key is the load siren that scares them off. Plus, so many false alarms makes the police less likely to treat any call seriously. Connecting to an alarm company is useless unless you are worried about carbon monoxide, fire etc that could get the company to call.

the service, paying 30-40/month for a computer at the security company to wait for the alarm to go off then have someone try to contact you etc etc while the thief just leaves.

these Doberman Pinchers think for themselves they wont take food from strangers and they really know what to do in a situation believe it or not. I rarely use my security system. I do live in a gated community with security in a good neighborhood. If someone wants in and actually gets in chances are he or they will have a serious case of led poisoning.. Like i said we are both legally armed and she has done martial arts since she was 7. she is 45 now and never in better shape. Some women take dance lessons she fights both on the mats and in court lol

Originally Posted By: teambeechstreet
Howdy ya'all, was wondering if any BITOG'ers have a home security/alarm system installed on their property? If so, have any feedback or experiences you could share? I have just closed on a home and one of the first things I'd like to do is get the home alarm system installed. My lady is pretty set on ADT, but I've read nothing but bad reviews about them in our area on Yelp. Along side an alarm system we will most likely pick up a couple security cameras and a 12 gauge shotgun.
Several guns and three dogs and the commitment to use if required by the situation.
Much appreciated

Originally Posted By: strat81
Nothing (AFAIK right now) else was taken. Other items that could have easily been taken were left. He thinks it may be a young man across the street, but no proof. Very strange.

We got to talking about wireless cameras for the home. Will have to look into it.

A game camera might help, and they're relatively inexpensive.

Don't they have a flash, though? The thief will just take the camera after the flash giveaway. Maybe an infrared camera with flash?

Some do, or they'll have power/recording/shutter lights. Two cents worth of electrical tape will fix that.

Some game cameras have IR.

Something like this may work:
http://www.amazon.com/Primos-Truth-Cam-3...4307&sr=1-3

I think a very small percentage of burglars are sophisticated. I guess they're called cat burglars. They probably target the wealthy areas. These are probably 1-2% of robberies. These guys probably want as little attention as possible. The only weapon they probably carry is pepper spray/knife.

The majority are probably heavy drug users that need they're fix. These are the ones that aren't well planned and are based on opportunity. Knock on front door and see if anyone answers. They go house to house till they have enough loot.

The worst ones are home invasions where a group raids the home. They look to see if people are home. These are very dangerous and they act fast. This is where a dog(s) can help delay the initial rush and give time for the occupants to arm themselves. Or the group may decide to go elsewhere if they sense a dog present. Much of this is based on local police blotters.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
I think a very small percentage of burglars are sophisticated. I guess they're called cat burglars. They probably target the wealthy areas. These are probably 1-2% of robberies. These guys probably want as little attention as possible. The only weapon they probably carry is pepper spray/knife.

The majority are probably heavy drug users that need they're fix. These are the ones that aren't well planned and are based on opportunity. Knock on front door and see if anyone answers. They go house to house till they have enough loot.

The worst ones are home invasions where a group raids the home. They look to see if people are home. These are very dangerous and they act fast. This is where a dog(s) can help delay the initial rush and give time for the occupants to arm themselves. Or the group may decide to go elsewhere if they sense a dog present. Much of this is based on local police blotters.

Group raids are scary, but if a group is that intent on going somewhere, theyll take the dog down fast. Residents wont know if the dog is barking at a raccoon or a person, and that would get old quick. Alarm system or dog wont help there, but in a well orchestrated attack, being armed likely wont either.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Group raids are scary, but if a group is that intent on going somewhere, theyll take the dog down fast. Residents wont know if the dog is barking at a raccoon or a person, and that would get old quick. Alarm system or dog wont help there, but in a well orchestrated attack, being armed likely wont either.

I doubt many home invasions are actually well orchestrated though. Unless you really have enough wealth known to be accessible in your home, why would they spends hours reconning and planning a home invasion? I suspect many of them are 2-4 dumb guys with guns who talk each other into it... Having a couple big angry dogs waiting on the inside of your door might make them go to the next street. How many shots in the dark will it take to put them down? How many will you get before the dogs engage you? Who knows? It adds alot of unknowns to already a risky business. People have used dogs for millenia for guarding various things and after having a couple, I can see why, they aren't perfect but they are an effective deterrent, as I think people still have the instinctive fear of being stalked by a pack of wolves/predators.

I have one, it's called a Mastiff. Works very well and effective.

My old coonhound's name is Janet, she is a proven deterrent that is eager to meet any burglars personally! Note that some dogs are quite smart and do not bark unless something noteworthy is going on.

I am no fan of most security systems as they are easily defeated by the real Burglars. Some of the newer setups with cameras and cell phone notification are decent looking but probably just more 'gingerbread' designed to make you feel good...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: IndyIan

Our have left treats like beef liver in the bowl, when a coyote howls close by to go run it off.

My dog will not take treats from a stranger at all. I have clients with expensive dogs trained strictly to provide security and they do not eat offered treats either.

some of those dogs are around $30,000 and can run even more i have owned doberman pinchers for a long time now and trained they can reach $35,000

Mine were not extensively trained like that even most of my cars were not that much

Security = layers

I and my neighbors have some agreements. We watch and listen. If my alarm goes off, they come right over. Police response, even when you call from your own phone is simply not that quick. Oh and my alarm? So LOUD, may be heard in Texas - say bull horns pointed out from the rafters. ADT inside the house alarm = JOKE.

Anything of value will take awhile, and further layers within that. Thieves don't like delays. They look for the easy fish in the tank.

Two dogs. Barking and growling and so nervous they won't take a treat from me hardly until they quickly calm themselves.

Look good and look occupied. If home I never "hide" behind a gun, but sometimes a titanium bar upside the head is not good enough for a special occasion.

Lastly, yes a sign advertises a lot and tweakers avoid the advertising.

I live in a semi-rural community on the outskirts of suburbia in South Florida. My home backs up to the "real" everglades and there is nothing behind me except grass and alligators.

My drug dealing neighbors and their friends tormented my family for years. I tried everything. Was at the point of hiring off duty cops as security.

Cameras=useless. 100% worthless. The police don't recognize anybody on the recording. Other neighbors won't say who they see on the recording, and without a murder, nobody cares what you recorded. And, in my case the criminals cut the wires multiple times.

Dogs=partial criminal repellent. BUT, many thugs will deal with a dog(s) easily though, as they just don't care. Look up the youtube video of a burglary where they came in and attacked the dog, sending it cowering into the corner.

The workable solution: Fence with multi strands of barbed wire, locked gate and an overall plain and neat appearance. With nothing of value outside or visible. In fact, they started climbing this too, but it became a hassle for them and they eventually stopped after much ripped clothing and injuries. Next step, electric fence!

The other thing that works: Somebody remaining home, with an AR-15. They see you leave, then quickly come on to the property. Only to be confronted with a rifle. Criminals are exceedingly afraid of AR style rifles. Ask me how I know...

Criminals know that they may survive a revolver, but won't survive a rifle, and especially an accurate rifle with 30 rounds.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back