Anyone run 20k+ mi. OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Well... The results provided by Merk kinda speak for themselves. 5k OCI for me.
Except without the history and service life of those pictures, they are completely worthless. Armchair bench racing is a BITOG specialty and little (if any) quantifiable evidence is typically provided--as is the case with these photos. In the end, to a very large degree most engines can run on extended OCIs, but one has to be willing to "do the math" before starting on such a quest. There are plenty of photos of engines with 10K+ OCIs which do not have varnish or sludge, but those do not count as they do not meet the "agenda".

Originally Posted By: Vlad_the_Russian
Well... The results provided by Merk kinda speak for themselves. 5k OCI for me.

What results?

I see three pictures with exactly zero context other than the allegation that they are pics of the results of various OCI's.

We have zero information on the engine itself.

Oh, I got this:

First pic is from this thread: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4323209/1

Owner has no idea how the car was treated first 82k miles of the car's life. Took those pics at 92k. This is a DOD engine that had a failure BTW.

Second pic is from here: http://www.lsxmag.com/tech-stories/engine/understanding-ls-valvetrain-upgrades/

Again, it's a stock photo from a magazine, with no reference. Those engine might have never had an oil change for all we know. Might have 500 miles on the whole thing.

Last photo is from here: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/corp-0701-rocker-arms/

Again; new engine? 1000 miles? Ever had an oil change at all? Who knows?

Sweet Jesus dude. I've never been a critic, but you really are making this up as you go along.

I don’t do 3,000 mile OCIs any longer. Oil and filtration has improved. Read your owners manual to determine what is “normal” and “severe” conditions. Forget that stupid oil life monitor, it’s nothing more than a fancy idiot light. Learn how to reset it and forget it. There’s plenty of proof that sludge kills engines and sludge occurs even when using synthetic oils.
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-changi...r-most-drivers/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
I don’t do 3,000 mile OCIs any longer. Oil and filtration has improved. Read your owners manual to determine what is “normal” and “severe” conditions. Forget that stupid oil life monitor, it’s nothing more than a fancy idiot light. Learn how to reset it and forget it. There’s plenty of proof that sludge kills engines and sludge occurs even when using synthetic oils.
https://allwheeldriveauto.com/why-changi...r-most-drivers/

Where is the proof that sludge kills engines with a quality synthetic oil with under 12K OCIs for example? I haven't seen it except where an engine leaked coolant into the oil or possibly some other very rare occurrence. A friend that owns a auto repair shop used to turn wrenches at a BMW dealer in Florida. He told me the BMWs he saw with a lot of sludge was engines ran using dino and way over extending the OCI. He said he never saw one that used a quality synthetic oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Except without the history and service life of those pictures, they are completely worthless. Armchair bench racing is a BITOG specialty and little (if any) quantifiable evidence is typically provided--as is the case with these photos.

Correct....

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

Sweet Jesus dude. I've never been a critic, but you really are making this up as you go along.

Once again, Merkava's credibility gets shot completely full of holes....

Originally Posted By: Crusher
RonRonnster
First of all, Welcome to this forum. There are many knowledgeable members with a wealth of information here. I started running a dual bypass filter with Amsoil SS 5w -20 in Jan 2016 after my 2011 Expedition was out of warranty. I'm currently 72k miles into my current oci. Occasional oil for top off, and filter changes keep my TBN viable

This is the "Voice of EXPERIENCE".... not SPECULATION!!!!

RonRonnster
First of all, Welcome to this forum. There are many knowledgeable members with a wealth of information here. I started running a dual bypass filter with Amsoil SS 5w -20 in Jan 2016 after my 2011 Expedition was out of warranty. I'm currently 72k miles into my current oci. Occasional oil for top off, and filter changes keep my TBN viable

Cool and all, but why do this? Not trying to knock you or anything, just seems like you’re sort of “gambling” just for the heck of it. Not really saving any money.
Legit question, once again I’m not trying to knock you

Bxnanaz
That's a really good question. When I started this Dual Bypass Filter experiment almost 2 yrs ago I wasn't sure how well it was going to work. I kept an open mind and figured that I would see how the uoa's came back and go from there. After a few uoa's I noticed a pattern and determined that my current program would sustain oil life well beyond what I had read. To date 72k miles. I didn't go to this setup to save $, but I think I've saved at least $500, if I've miscalculated and blow up an engine I'm sure Ford will sell me a new engine. What I have enjoyed most from this Dual Bypass Filter setup is the time savings. I'm no mechanic by any stretch. In the past I would take my Mobil 1 oil and filter to my local Ford Dealership and have them change my oil. It probably averaged about 5k miles per oci. So far this setup has saved me about 15 trips to the dealership. Now I can slide under the front of my truck in my garage (no ramps etc) and change my Full flow filter every 25k miles, and my Bypass filter every 60-70k miles (depending on filter size) and get an oil sample from the petcock to be analyzed at filter change, and in between filter changes to determine oil life/engine wear etc. I realize that this strategy is not for everyone, but it's perfect for me!

Bxnanaz
That's a really good question. When I started this Dual Bypass Filter experiment almost 2 yrs ago I wasn't sure how well it was going to work. I kept an open mind and figured that I would see how the uoa's came back and go from there. After a few uoa's I noticed a pattern and determined that my current program would sustain oil life well beyond what I had read. To date 72k miles. I didn't go to this setup to save $, but I think I've saved at least $500, if I've miscalculated and blow up an engine I'm sure Ford will sell me a new engine. What I have enjoyed most from this Dual Bypass Filter setup is the time savings. I'm no mechanic by any stretch. In the past I would take my Mobil 1 oil and filter to my local Ford Dealership and have them change my oil. It probably averaged about 5k miles per oci. So far this setup has saved me about 15 trips to the dealership. Now I can slide under the front of my truck in my garage (no ramps etc) and change my Full flow filter every 25k miles, and my Bypass filter every 60-70k miles (depending on filter size) and get an oil sample from the petcock to be analyzed at filter change, and in between filter changes to determine oil life/engine wear etc. I realize that this strategy is not for everyone, but it's perfect for me!

Pretty cool for sure! I bet your oil stayed a nice amber color for a while with that dual bypass setup. Getting close to changing it all out soon?

Bxnanaz
Surprisingly the SS 5w-20 Amsoil gets dark pretty fast. I'm not sure when I'll dump all the oil and start over. I'll do another uoa in about 3k miles when I change my Full flow filter @ 75k miles. The Eao -26 filter I run is pretty big (1.5-2 quarts) and will boost my TBN up a few points. I'll probably change that filter in Jan or Feb. It should be interesting to see.

Why did you assume that I knew those engines personally ?

All I did is post some pictures of some clean engines and you go all Sherlock Holmes on me.
lol.gif

By the way, tell Jesus I said Hi.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Do you know other engines personally?

It's like this dude, if you're going to open up the engine someday and want it to be clean inside, whatever amount of engine oil you used to get the engine to that point will not matter. It's all about clean clean clean; the heck with the oil. It also might mean not having to go oversize on the cylinders.

However, if you're the type of person who cares more about the engine oil than the engine itself, go ahead and do 20k OCIs. Knock yourself out.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Why did you assume that I knew those engines personally ?

All I did is post some pictures of some clean engines and you go all Sherlock Holmes on me.
lol.gif

By the way, tell Jesus I said Hi.
55.gif

Um, no. You may have just posted the first pic, but you clearly labeled the other two as having specific OCI'S.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Do you know other engines personally?

It's like this dude, if you're going to open up the engine someday and want it to be clean inside, whatever amount of engine oil you used to get the engine to that point will not matter. It's all about clean clean clean; the heck with the oil. It also might mean not having to go oversize on the cylinders.

However, if you're the type of person who cares more about the engine oil than the engine itself, go ahead and do 20k OCIs. Knock yourself out.
21.gif

I'm waiting on two pieces of evidence here:

1. Proof that extended OCI'S with a quality synthetic automatically leads to engine sludging.

2. Proof that engine sludge evades insoluble percentages and particle counts in an OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back