Anyone run 20k+ mi. OCIs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was completely joking around here with you
smile.gif

Not remotely being serious about that

Originally Posted By: MParr
Something interesting I have gleaned. Some folks believe you can save money by spending money. I’ve never figured that one out. Used Oil Analysis costs are similar to an oil and filter change. Where did all of this extended OCI stuff start? Was it the auto manufacturers? I tend to think not. I think this idea was planted by any number of government agencies as an energy conservation and environmental tool. Hey, I do my part, I take my used oil in to be recycled.

Used oil analysis for my Ram: $15 W/ TBN

Cheapest oil change for my Ram:

Filter: $9
3 gallons of oil: $42

I can do 3 UOAs for less than the cost of one dirt cheap oil change.

UOAs and extended oil intervals came down from the industrial and commercial sectors. Waste doesn't make dollars or sense in business.

Thank you 4wd. You nailed it.

I am very, very serious at times. Then there are times when I am certainly not. This was one of those times for sure. I just can't be so serious all the time. The people I work with see this all the time. Times where I walk out of a patient's room after a very serious moment holding back tears. Then about 15 minutes later laughing, making fun of someone or myself, having a good time. It helps me in having a better day, and finding a way to balance out my day.

Originally Posted By: littleant
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
5000 mile OCI here:
IMG_1286.jpg

3000 mile OCI here:
corp_0701_01_z%2Brocker_arm%2Brocker_arms.jpg

No comment needed the pictures say it all. Thanks for the photos Merkava_4. 5K works for me. The last photo looks like the inside of my engine. Compared to the cost of a new engine, oil and filter are cheap.

You realize that Merk literally has no idea what the OCI'S of ANY of the engines pictures is, right?

Ahh you are good DoubleWasp.

I can't always be serious. I see serious a lot in my position at work. I also have a lot of fun there too.

I enjoy your posts on here. You bring a lot of good real world insights, experience and observations to the board here. That is always great to see on here, and appreciated. Hope you have a good day today.

Last edited:
Im running 20K OCI's on my RX400H. PP 5-30 & a micro green change at 10K
I'm at about 15K on the current sump.

It took under a pint of makeup oil at 10K mostly to fill the filter.

I probably won't even bother with a UOA as the oil on the stick is still gold.

UD

Originally Posted By: Silk
We have only seen one Outlander engine fail in over 10 years - it had done 170,000km with 3 oil changes...full of sludge and a blocked pickup. Obviously his extended oil changes didn't improve the life of the engine.

That's a bit beyond extended oil changes.
wink.gif
That's neglect, like my old F-150 had from the previous owner. He only changed oil when the motor blew and he had to rebuild it. In other words, he did so twice. The rebuilds were as well done as the oil changes, too, unfortunately.

MParr: There are probably a few places where extended OCIs started. There are fleets. Amsoil helped out. Mobil 1 pushed it, too. European OEMs brought them in.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Ummm...no they do not. Merk's credibility looks like swiss cheese as does his ability to snag photos from the Internet and label them as fact. Where is the tangible proof these engines have had the OCI listed, how many total miles do they have on them, etc. Anyone can post a picture and label it. Show me quantifiable, tangible proof that extended OCIs cause varnish and sludge--as I have said before, there are plenty here on this site doing extended OCIs with zero issues.

I'm not worried about my credibility; this is an internet forum for entertainment purposes and I must say - watching you and DoubleWasp getting your soap worked up into a lather because of some pictures I posted has been entertaining.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Originally Posted By: littleant
5000 mile OCI here:
IMG_1286.jpg

3000 mile OCI here:
corp_0701_01_z%2Brocker_arm%2Brocker_arms.jpg

No comment needed the pictures say it all. Thanks for the photos Merkava_4. 5K works for me. The last photo looks like the inside of my engine. Compared to the cost of a new engine, oil and filter are cheap.

You realize that Merk literally has no idea what the OCI'S of ANY of the engines pictures is, right?
I do now.

I met a Courier that ran 25,000 mile oil change intervals running Amsoil in a Nissan pick up. I don't know how the engine looked inside but the cam chain was changed a around 400,000 miles and I saw the truck had close enough miles to be called 500,000 miles. There was a writre up in the Amsoil action magazine. Successful extended oil change intervals takes more than just marketing claims.It takes time spent at operating tempertaures and engine type and condition.

Ummm...no they do not. Merk's credibility looks like swiss cheese as does his ability to snag photos from the Internet and label them as fact. Where is the tangible proof these engines have had the OCI listed, how many total miles do they have on them, etc. Anyone can post a picture and label it. Show me quantifiable, tangible proof that extended OCIs cause varnish and sludge--as I have said before, there are plenty here on this site doing extended OCIs with zero issues.
I'm not worried about my credibility; this is an internet forum for entertainment purposes and I must say - watching you and DoubleWasp getting your soap worked up into a lather because of some pictures I posted has been entertaining.
grin2.gif

I commented to prevent some unknowing person from reading your drivel and believing it as factual--because many here (unlike yourself) do not use this forum as entertainment. With that said, nothing you post gets me into a lather, you have to be credible and we have to speak the same language for that to happen.

28.gif
24.gif
28.gif
24.gif

This forum can be entertaining as well as factual you have to be able to discern facts from regurgitated marketing claims.

grin2.gif

I commented to prevent some unknowing person from reading your drivel and believing it as factual--because many here (unlike yourself) do not use this forum as entertainment. With that said, nothing you post gets me into a lather, you have to be credible and we have to speak the same language for that to happen.

28.gif
24.gif
28.gif
24.gif

You are right. Merk must think BITOG is some sort of joke by the way he post.

grin2.gif

You don't work your soap into a lather? Sounds like a lot gets left behind. Gross.

Clean engine, dirty hands it seems.

Originally Posted By: tig1

You are right. Merk must think BITOG is some sort of joke by the way he post.

Bad information is........ by nature, BAD INFORMATION

The world is filled with bad information, and it's ruining our society in so many ways.

Why would anyone in their right mind try to keep bad information going?

Go play somewhere else if that's what you want to do..... "Just the facts, Ma'am"

71NsG4z1otL._SX463_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Crusher
RonRonnster
First of all, Welcome to this forum. There are many knowledgeable members with a wealth of information here. I started running a dual bypass filter with Amsoil SS 5w -20 in Jan 2016 after my 2011 Expedition was out of warranty. I'm currently 72k miles into my current oci. Occasional oil for top off, and filter changes keep my TBN viable

Thanks! I found your UOA thread and I will certainly be following your Expedition. BTW, kudos on the bypass install - it looks great! 72k miles on one oil change (with top off of course) is a testament to bypass filtration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back