Are all synthetics good for 10k miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually use M1 but picked up some supertech, valvoline and castrol, all synthetic. I run 9 to 10k oci with M1 and M1 filter. Are the other oils good for 10k miles also? They all seem to meet the same specs, and are really similiar.

Also, is the M1 extended use 15k and annual protection just advertising gimmics? What makes them good for more miles?

It depends on the car and driving style
smile.gif

For a non-European car with a non-turbo non-DI engine. any synthetic will be just fine for a year or 10k.

Oh thats a good point.

All are non european non turbo port fuel injection type non DI. Mostly city driving.

Last edited:
In that case, 10k or 1 year, whichever comes first, is fine on any synthetic. If you can, take at least one trip a week that is at least 10 miles one way and some good highway miles.

One major exception is the 97+ Toyota 1MZ-FE (the V6 installed in the 4th gen Camry, ES300, Sienna, RX300, and many others). In those cases do not exceed 5k even with synthetic. One of the few cars where I would do 3k OCI with synthetic. The 94-96 1MZ from the 3rd gen Camry is ok because it had larger oil passages.

And for cars that have an OLM (most post-2000 GM cars, most post-2006 Hondas), I like to use the cheapest synthetic on sale with the OCI recommended by the computer.

My wife's '14 Fusion typically does 10k mile oil change intervals and the Ford spec for oil allows for conventional oil, not a synthetic blend nor full synthetic.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
My wife's '14 Fusion typically does 10k mile oil change intervals and the Ford spec for oil allows for conventional oil, not a synthetic blend nor full synthetic.

Does the Fusion have the IOLM?
smile.gif

For the most part what others have said. Run a UOA to confirm is the best advice as there are still variables at play.

Blanket statements can get you in trouble, get a UOA and be sure is my suggestion. PU in three of my vehicles would not have made 10K miles as confirmed by UOA. AFE wouldn't have made the cut either based on reports from two of the vehicles. Would an oil advertised as an extended drain oil have made it? Maybe, but I'd need a UOA to be certain.
wink.gif

My 2011 Tacoma with a 4 cyl engine has numerous statements in the owner's manual and from manufacturer bulletins... 5000 mile OCI with 0W20 synthetic.

Always a good idea to check oil levels frequently with long OCIs. Couldn't hurt to lift the hood and crawl underneath occasionally to check for leaks, damage or critters.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by hallstevenson

Does the Fusion have the IOLM?
smile.gif

I would assume the OLM is "intelligent"

Originally Posted by dogememe

I would assume [Ford's] OLM is "intelligent"

Ford only recently started using a real OLM which they call IOLM.

Prior to that, they had something they called an "OLM" but was really just a mileage counter (like Toyota uses)

I actually record the mileage and the % remaining in a spreadsheet and add a trendline indicating when it should reach 0%. Based on this, in my opinion, it's just a mileage counter. It does have an overriding factor based on time too though, at least according to people with similar models and they aren't driven a lot. I remember one person's experience of driving minimal miles and the % remaining would decrease slowly over many months but once they reached ~9 months, it started decreasing to 0% much, much quicker because it was clear it was going to reach the 12-month mark before it reached 10k miles.

Since this isn't an "intelligent" monitor, it falls back to Ford's determination that 10k mile oil change intervals are more than safe - when using oil that meets the specs they call for.

Mobil warranties the regular M1 for 10k miles so it's good for that long in theory. All depends on driving conditions though.

There's also the fine print disclaimer on the oil companies' websites which states something to the effect of,*Always follow your car manufacturer's owner's manual. That saves them in the event that you go 10K on an oil change,destroying your engine after the fact of seeing a 3000K recommended interval in your owner's manual.

Originally Posted by DONWATERS
I usually use M1 but picked up some supertech, valvoline and castrol, all synthetic. I run 9 to 10k oci with M1 and M1 filter. Are the other oils good for 10k miles also? They all seem to meet the same specs, and are really similiar.

Also, is the M1 extended use 15k and annual protection just advertising gimmics? What makes them good for more miles?

I think the question that should be asked is: "Are all synthetcs good for ALL engines to 10k miles?"

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
There's also the fine print disclaimer on the oil companies' websites which states something to the effect of,*Always follow your car manufacturer's owner's manual. That saves them in the event that you go 10K on an oil change,destroying your engine after the fact of seeing a 3000K recommended interval in your owner's manual.

Not all of them
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm

Not all of them
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/warranties/limited-warranty/mobil-1-oil-warranty

Read this VERY carefully. This is XOM's way out:

What we will do to correct problems
ExxonMobil will replace any lubricant that is defective. In addition, if there is equipment failure due to the lubricant you purchased, and the engine was serviceable at the time the oil was installed, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of the lubricant, at no cost to you, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the OEM or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

You are only covered if using OEM spec'd lubrication. Makes complete sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back