Anyone know what kind of oil this is?

Lubricating oils (petroleum), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based
CAS# is 72623-87-1
I'm wondering because this is the base stock for Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 which I'm considering using. I'd like to know if it's really "fully synthetic," since I'm unfamiliar with this particular listing. Thanks!

How do you define “fully synthetic”? What’s your criteria or standard?

What are you looking for the SDS to say?
Group 3? GTL? I've just never seen this because most group 3 synthetics are something like hydrotreated heavy paraffinic. I don't have a standard per se, just curious and Castrol calls it "synthetic."

Group 3? GTL? I've just never seen this because most group 3 synthetics are something like hydrotreated heavy paraffinic. I don't have a standard per se, just curious and Castrol calls it "synthetic."

That product is just one of three base oils listed on the SDS. Most if not all oils are a blend of base stocks.

That product is just one of three base oils listed on the SDS. Most if not all oils are a blend of base stocks.
It's >50% of it. I just don't know what "hydrotreated neutral oil" means/is.

Lubricating oils (petroleum), C20-50, hydrotreated neutral oil-based
CAS# is 72623-87-1
I'm wondering because this is the base stock for Castrol Magnatec 5w-20 which I'm considering using. I'd like to know if it's really "fully synthetic," since I'm unfamiliar with this particular listing. Thanks!
It's a group 3 oil (highly refined crude).

If you see Fischer-Tropsch in the name you'll automatically it's GTL, GTL usually shows up on MSD sheets as something like Heavy Paraffinic Distillated, Branched, Cyclic, and Linear C18-C50.

Do SDSs mention "Fischer-Tropsch"? This is the name of the chemical process used to derive the intermediate substance which is then hydrotreated to form the base oil. SDSs are concerned only with what the substance is, not how it was made.

Do SDSs mention "Fischer-Tropsch"? This is the name of the chemical process used to derive the intermediate substance which is then hydrotreated to form the base oil. SDSs are concerned only with what the substance is, not how it was made.
Before Shell went to just saying "interchangeable low viscosity base oil" they used to refer to it in their SDSs
1620984764975.jpg

@weasley
Current QSFS 5w30 msds from epc.shell website.
Screenshot_20210514-062403_Drive.jpg

...and 5w20
Screenshot_20210514-063048_Drive.jpg

Last edited:
I use Magnatec as an additive. It works GREAT with Valvoline Advanced making a "super oil"
My recent Ford OC was straight Valvoline but it didnt run sweet until I added 1/2 qt Maggie 5W20.
No Kidding! Now I call it MagicTech :)

Alternatively, Sopus GTL base products have never run well in anything I put them in. In some cases it been near disastrous**

** Pennzoil Platinum in a Subaru Forester with FB25 engine showed extremely high burnoff.
That ring pack on a select group of engines does need certain care and feeding, though.

I understand safety data sheets are often vague and not intended as recipes, but I wonder if there is any meaningful difference between hydrotreated neutral oil-based 72623-87-1 and hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 - the latter being much more common.

I use Magnatec as an additive. It works GREAT with Valvoline Advanced making a "super oil"
My recent Ford OC was straight Valvoline but it didnt run sweet until I added 1/2 qt Maggie 5W20.
No Kidding! Now I call it MagicTech :)

Alternatively, Sopus GTL base products have never run well in anything I put them in. In some cases it been near disastrous**

** Pennzoil Platinum in a Subaru Forester with FB25 engine showed extremely high burnoff.
That ring pack on a select group of engines does need certain care and feeding, though.
ARCO playing backyard chemist. :rolleyes:

Back