Anyone keep loaf of bread bread in fridge?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tcp71
Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: CT8
Which way is the proper way to install the roll of toilet paper?

http://www.businessinsider.com/patent-shows-right-way-to-hang-toilet-paper-2015-3

The original patent is for "over".

I feel the need to reply to this most serious of topics. We have "normal" sized toilet paper holders. We buy Costco brand double (triple?) sized rolls. They work fine, when new, being pulled from the bottom in our holders. Put them in "over" and each square tears off individually due to the extra friction. Even toilet paper has evolved.

I feel like you could start a new thread for how to better lubricate the toilet paper holder.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I don't like it cold or frozen,seems to take the freshness and softness out of it.

Throw a slice in the microwave for a few seconds.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Guys, a loaf of store brand white is .99

And it's probably as far away from bread as the price might suggest.
smile.gif

Decent loaf of bread is about $6 around here. Since it takes me about a week to go through it, I tend to not keep it on the counter.

Ours stays in the pantry, in the dark (well assuming that the door gets shut).

There's so much junk put in bread (e.g. enzymes to stop retrogradation of starches) to make it stay "fresh" that I wouldn't bother with the refrigerator.

When I was a kid, bread actually went stale, and was cracker crisp, and useful for things like bread pudding...now it just ages until the fungus grows.

Bread is cheap and easily obtainable. So if there's any bread thats past it's prime in my house, it gets tossed and replenished with a fresh loaf. Guys, a loaf of store brand white is .99 and a loaf of cheap rye is $2.19.

I suppose if you enjoy the preservative-laden soup that makes up most store bought bread, then that's a good solution. I personally prefer to make my own, which costs about 15 or 20 cents/loaf and has no preservatives in it. And to top it off, I get to control exactly what goes into the product that I eat.

I usually keep mine in the fridge, takes me a week to eat a loaf. On the weekends I will have a fresh baked loaf out and in the pantry.

Bread is cheap and easily obtainable. So if there's any bread thats past it's prime in my house, it gets tossed and replenished with a fresh loaf. Guys, a loaf of store brand white is .99 and a loaf of cheap rye is $2.19.

Fine, but why be wasteful?

Agree. I hate wasting food while millions go to bed hungry.

Putting bread in the fridge dries it out. Don't do it.

If you buy extra bread (i.e. BOGO at the store), put a loaf in the freezer. It will thaw relatively quickly when you're ready to use it.

Because science:
http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/does-refrigeration-really-ruin-bread.html

not knowing the science behind it(but now I do), i have always kept bread at room temp, except for the occasional time i have bought an extra loaf and frozen it.

I store my bread in the freezer as i'm the only one in the family who eats multi grain bread. A loaf will last for monthsif kept sealed. I just get out what I need about 15 mins before hand & seal it in a plastic bag. I've found the fridge tends to dry bread out.

It depends on the bread. Refrigerating classic bread (flour, yeast, water and salt) will break down the structure of the bread. For industrial bread, they use stabilizers and dough conditioners and refrigeration doesn't affect them much.

Originally Posted By: tcp71
Originally Posted By: CT8
Which way is the proper way to install the roll of toilet paper?

http://www.businessinsider.com/patent-shows-right-way-to-hang-toilet-paper-2015-3

The original patent is for "over".

I feel the need to reply to this most serious of topics. We have "normal" sized toilet paper holders. We buy Costco brand double (triple?) sized rolls. They work fine, when new, being pulled from the bottom in our holders. Put them in "over" and each square tears off individually due to the extra friction. Even toilet paper has evolved.

I feel like you could start a new thread for how to better lubricate the toilet paper holder.

Good point is gear oil better than ATF for that application, if so what grade, and would LS additive be needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back