Anyone here drive an older car & doesnt care?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i agree as long as its presentable and runs good im happy. i dont want a car with electronic steering and monitors and tpms. and all that jazz its all just extra annoyance

Originally Posted By: yonyon

It's a machine with moving parts. They sometimes wear out and need to be kept up. If you don't like that, then it's time to get on the two-year lease plan and buy German or hop on the Chrysler "buy new and trade it every year" plan. Either way it's going to cost some money that you don't seem to have. If you want the world to treat you like you're some kind of fancy Princess and you weren't born into it, then you'll have to make yourself of such obvious value that you clearly deserve such treatment. Nobody's going to tell you how to do that because anyone who knows how will just do it themselves.

Im just bored with it now cause its a boring generic car and ya having to replacing ball joints, struts, bushings, endlinks in the past year is not something im too happy about.

Originally Posted By: chevyboy14

Really? dude come on! of course and older car will need repairs but to be upset about it is foolish. think about it at 200per month thats 2400 a year in car payments. does an older car cost you that much a year? it shouldnt my saturn is a 98 i love it. it has a little clear coat peeling on the door sills and it used to bug me and i will probably fix it soon but it doesnt bother me anymore. its been a fabulous car to own. i dont have a car payment. i was actually approved for a used car from the dealer last week. since i was shopping for a second car. my payments would have been about 165 per month but i stopped and thought do i really want to have a car payment and after some serious thought i thought nope i sure do not. post a picture of your civic i want to see how "awful" it is. if there is something you dont like fix it and be happy.

I really REALLY want a 2013 Toyota Scion FRS. So bad you wouldnt believe. Im almost tempted to go ask mom if she can get me one by applying for it under her name (cause I have rebuilt credit and interest would be through the roof, i tried months ago on another car). Ya last March when I was acutally just about to buy a newer 09 Civic but I backed out last minute cause was talked out of it by people online Ive been chatting with. On how it would set me back financially for many years and hinder my ability to live on my own etc.

I would ask mom if she could come with me to the dealer and apply, but i cant think of a reason on why i need a new car to convince her.

Ill post a pic

Originally Posted By: rationull

I'm confused. Are you embarrassed because you feel 2001 is too old, or because you think it's too new for you to feel the way you do about it?

Im embarassed cause its old generic and blah. Everyone here now drives high end SUVs or nice newer cars no older than 3yrs old with perfect condition cars, not a single mark on their brand new paint, nice rims, and nice modern look.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Seems like you simply don't like your car. Civic is a good car as far as function but otherwise you are correct, nothing exciting to look at nor drive.

Does not help to repair something you really don't like.

I once felt the same about a Civic I had too for 9yrs(felt the same at month 1 of ownership). However the day the AC broke on a really hot drive and I sold within 1 hr and carless went shopping and dropped cash on a brand new car. That cash was saved over the years of no payments and driving my ultra boring/reliable car.

Its not that I dont like it, Im just fed up with the common problems that show up on aging cars - like sqeaks and noises from suspension and diagnosing and monitoring this garbage!

I dont love the car like when i bought it 23 months ago, Im bored with it and fed up.

I have the oldest car ('99 Civic) out of all of my friends who all drive newer BMWs, Infiniti and Lexus type cars.

It's reliable and paid off. I keep it washed and it isn't an eye sore so it's just fine in my book. Whereas all my late-20s early 30s friends are trying to show off, I'm enjoying not having a car payment.

Originally Posted By: Carnoobie

I'm confused. Are you embarrassed because you feel 2001 is too old, or because you think it's too new for you to feel the way you do about it?

Im embarassed cause its old generic and blah. Everyone here now drives high end SUVs or nice newer cars no older than 3yrs old with perfect condition cars, not a single mark on their brand new paint, nice rims, and nice modern look.

OK. Vast difference in perspectives I guess. I don't even think of a 2001 as being an "old car".

I really REALLY want a 2013 Toyota Scion FRS. So bad you wouldnt believe. Im almost tempted to go ask mom if she can get me one by applying for it under her name (cause I have rebuilt credit and interest would be through the roof, i tried months ago on another car).

This is a terrible idea. I'm sure I can believe how badly you want one, but please for the love of all that is holy wait until you can afford it. Not sure how old you are but from what you've written I'm guessing you're pretty young and you've got plenty of time to satisfy urges like this later. I don't even mean a lot later -- save money and see where you are in a couple years. You do NOT want to overextend yourself on a loan, let alone on your parents credit (especially if you have to CONVINCE them that you NEED a new car) just for a car.

Getting a new car before you can afford it because you're embarrassed about a 2001 Civic IMO is trying to solve the wrong problem.

Originally Posted By: InvalidUserID
I have the oldest car ('99 Civic) out of all of my friends who all drive newer BMWs, Infiniti and Lexus type cars.

It's reliable and paid off. I keep it washed and it isn't an eye sore so it's just fine in my book. Whereas all my late-20s early 30s friends are trying to show off, I'm enjoying not having a car payment.

I wish I could think like you and had your mentality.
frown.gif
How do I get it?

OK. Vast difference in perspectives I guess. I don't even think of a 2001 as being an "old car".

This is a terrible idea. I'm sure I can believe how badly you want one, but please for the love of all that is holy wait until you can afford it. Not sure how old you are but from what you've written I'm guessing you're pretty young and you've got plenty of time to satisfy urges like this later. I don't even mean a lot later -- save money and see where you are in a couple years. You do NOT want to overextend yourself on a loan, let alone on your parents credit (especially if you have to CONVINCE them that you NEED a new car) just for a car.

Getting a new car before you can afford it because you're embarrassed about a 2001 Civic IMO is trying to solve the wrong problem.

Well compared to everyone here having new 2010 and up cars, i think it is. But its not so much the year but the fact it looks so outdated.

im not young im 31. Last March I was actually this close to getting a 09 Civic for 7years of payments at 20% interest for first 9 months then drops to 10% for remainder. Would have been about 31k over the 7 years for a 17k car.

Had the deposit down and was all set to go in next day, til I got serious advice from members on honda boards to not do it and talked me out of it. I walked in the next day and got my deposit back, even though it was one of the hardest most depressing things ive ever gone through in my life. That was not the only reason why i did it, but i just couldnt think of a reason on why i need a new car and what i would tell family when they ask. I would have to lie and i just couldnt do that especially to my parents.

The only way for me to get a new car is by getting parents to apply for me. Either that or they co-sign, but if they co-sign im still certain i get high rates cause credit check would be under my name no my moms.

I just cant think of an honest reason to tell her on why i need a new car. I could say mine now is having problems and cheaper to trade in and get new car and i got a really good offer for my trade in. But I know that wouldnt be true at all.

I personally don't care what anyone thinks of my old cars or anything else I do. As long as it's legal there's nothing they can say about it. Drive a '95 Grand Marquis that's seen better days. As long as it's reliable, reasonably fuel efficient (I get 26 mpg on the highway), cheap and easy to repair, and comfortable I can take or leave what it looks like or whatever creature comforts it has. I don't really care about modern electronic and electrical doodads either. Heating and cooling and a radio are about it for me. Worry about your own life and let others live theirs the way they want to.

frown.gif
How do I get it?

Well I got that attitude, but it was not easy.
it involved getting my own house and having to work two jobs just to meet the mortgage payments (when the rate hit 17.5%)
Starting a business with nothing but a 75 Datsun PU and$10 of gas.
Living on Weaners, Bread and Beans for months on end.
Taking delight in an 'almost new' pair of runners I bought at a Thrift Store.
Plus a lot more stuff you proberbly don't want to hear about.

But now, 30 years later, Everyday is a good day :)

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but it's one of those things, you have to have been there to understand.

Well compared to everyone here having new 2010 and up cars, i think it is. But its not so much the year but the fact it looks so outdated.

im not young im 31. Last March I was actually this close to getting a 09 Civic for 7years of payments at 20% interest for first 9 months then drops to 10% for remainder. Would have been about 31k over the 7 years for a 17k car.

Had the deposit down and was all set to go in next day, til I got serious advice from members on honda boards to not do it and talked me out of it. I walked in the next day and got my deposit back, even though it was one of the hardest most depressing things ive ever gone through in my life. That was not the only reason why i did it, but i just couldnt think of a reason on why i need a new car and what i would tell family when they ask. I would have to lie and i just couldnt do that especially to my parents.

The only way for me to get a new car is by getting parents to apply for me. Either that or they co-sign, but if they co-sign im still certain i get high rates cause credit check would be under my name no my moms.

I just cant think of an honest reason to tell her on why i need a new car. I could say mine now is having problems and cheaper to trade in and get new car and i got a really good offer for my trade in. But I know that wouldnt be true at all.

I think you will end up very disappointed if you get in over your head for a car, which at the end of the day is just a material thing. I love cars (well, trucks), but getting locked into payments and paying interest on it sounds thoroughly unappealing to me. You should have been thrilled to get your deposit back! Would you not have been kicking yourself if you ended up paying $31K for an '09 Civic?

Lots of old cars end up popular with enthusiasts and hipsters. Look at old Volvos and even old Toyotas and Hondas. People pay obscene money for clean Jeep Grand Wagoneers...which are covered in fake wood. I can't blame them, those things are cool, and the newest one is a 1991.

Take pride in your car, fix its issues, and be happy with what you have. A 2001 is not THAT old. You aren't driving the Pinto that was posted recently. My truck looks like [censored] due to my own abuse and idiocy, but I still take pride in it because it has been a [censored] good vehicle considering what it has been through. It probably runs and drives better than a lot of vehicles that are much newer with much lower miles...in fact, I know it does because I worked at an auction that processed thousands of late model POS cars.

did i read this correctly? your 31 and you are talking about asking your mother for help??? i am 20 yrs old and i couldn't fathom asking my mom for financial help . i have asked for a ride to the part store a couple times but that is it and i hate doing that. i would like to give you a piece of advice. go listen to the song called "i got it honest" by aaron tippin. it well explain how you should feel about the things you own. you should be proud to have what you have and proud of your accomplishments. this is coming from a high school drop out by the way. i had a few health problems but for the most part i was just lazy. i didnt go to school because i didnt want to. but you know what when my girlfriend got pregnant the first thing that went through my head was i need to do better than my parents i need to pull myself by my own boot straps and by god if i aint got any i better go get a job and by some so i have something to lace up. you need to realize your situation and if you do not like driving your car here is what you do . get up at the crack of dawn shovel some coffee down your throat drive to the job site and swing a hammer or whatever your job is but work your butt off and then you will reap the rewards. moral of my post work hard and be proud of yourself and your stuff. be glad god has blessed you with what you have and keep on working hard and enjoy life. 2001 isnt old and its not outdated. only a fool would buy a new car when their current car is reliable.

Well I suppose my Buick and Trans Am WS6 are old. I drive the Buick everyday. With the stuff I have done to it, it cracks off 13.70-80ish 1/4 miles. It is clean and runs awesome. With just over 90,000 miles on it, I will drive it until it no longer runs. The WS6, while may never be worth much, ticks off 11.70's, daily drives well and my boy loves it! With 56,000 miles on it I might save it for my son so he can enjoy it one day.
Come to think of it by the standards here my 02 Silverado is old too. 29,000 miles and it tows just fine. Plus they are all paid for! Happy times!

Both of our cars now are new(er), but my last car was older, a 1997, which I sold last year. It did have its quirks, and occasional repairs of course. But I paid for it in cash, so I was already benefiting there. And even though the car had high mileage, it was still quite reliable and got good fuel mileage. The insurance on that car was also dirt cheap, making for super inexpensive transportation. I think owning an older car is a wise and mature decision, never to be looked down upon or to feel embarrassed about.

I agree with what another member had posted, about not having your car looking embarrassingly rusty or beat up. But as long as it is not costing you an arm and a leg to maintain, why not drive the wheels off it? You can feel good about the fact that you have a paid-off car that you can actually afford, that is actually beginning to pay you back.

Both of our cars are paid off, and I plan on keeping them both to 200,000+ miles. Most of the cars I've owned have been older/cheaper cars, and there is nothing like the feeling of not having the burden of a car payment
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: expat

frown.gif
How do I get it?

Well I got that attitude, but it was not easy.
it involved getting my own house and having to work two jobs just to meet the mortgage payments (when the rate hit 17.5%)
Starting a business with nothing but a 75 Datsun PU and$10 of gas.
Living on Weaners, Bread and Beans for months on end.
Taking delight in an 'almost new' pair of runners I bought at a Thrift Store.
Plus a lot more stuff you proberbly don't want to hear about.

But now, 30 years later, Everyday is a good day :)

Sorry if this sounds like a rant, but it's one of those things, you have to have been there to understand.

Well im desperate to have that mindset, i really am. Im willing to do anything to be happy with my car again.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

I think you will end up very disappointed if you get in over your head for a car, which at the end of the day is just a material thing. I love cars (well, trucks), but getting locked into payments and paying interest on it sounds thoroughly unappealing to me. You should have been thrilled to get your deposit back! Would you not have been kicking yourself if you ended up paying $31K for an '09 Civic?

Lots of old cars end up popular with enthusiasts and hipsters. Look at old Volvos and even old Toyotas and Hondas.

And that is why I backed out that morning and got my deposit back, I was talked out of taking on 7 years of monthly payments on a car. It would have set me back for many years.
I didnt want to do it but i know i had to for the better of my future.

Last edited:
A couple more points:

1) Good thing you didn't get that '09 Civic. I had an '07 for a while and while it was a good car, it was NOT worth $31k by any stretch of the imagination and I would wager that if you're bored to tears by your '01 it would only be a matter of time before you felt the same about an '09. But you'd still be paying it off at a ridiculous rate while you felt that way!

2) Are you sure you dislike your Civic because it's old, or is it possible you just don't like it as a car? My '07 Civic replaced a 1983 Datsun 280zx. The Civic was more efficient, more reliable, and faster from a dig (not on the highway though). But it lacked the character of the RWD 2 seater hatchback and overall I just did not like it as much.

If you really do just hate the Civic, there are other options besides lying to your parents and going into deep debt for a new FR-S. Get yourself something that's a more even trade (money wise). If you care more about style than performance, find yourself a 2005 Mustang V6 or something. I think you'll find that a car's age is not most of what it has going for it.

A couple more points:

1) Good thing you didn't get that '09 Civic. I had an '07 for a while and while it was a good car, it was NOT worth $31k by any stretch of the imagination and I would wager that if you're bored to tears by your '01 it would only be a matter of time before you felt the same about an '09. But you'd still be paying it off at a ridiculous rate while you felt that way!

2) Are you sure you dislike your Civic because it's old, or is it possible you just don't like it as a car? My '07 Civic replaced a 1983 Datsun 280zx. The Civic was more efficient, more reliable, and faster from a dig (not on the highway though). But it lacked the character of the RWD 2 seater hatchback and overall I just did not like it as much.

If you really do just hate the Civic, there are other options besides lying to your parents and going into deep debt for a new FR-S. Get yourself something that's a more even trade (money wise). If you care more about style than performance, find yourself a 2005 Mustang V6 or something. I think you'll find that a car's age is not most of what it has going for it.

And Im very thankful to the good guys on the honda forums for talking me out of it that night. I literally came home on a friday night, hopped online to get advice and was coming off a high right after getting home from the car lot and all excited with new car in the next few days. I was all caught up in the moment and when I did the math, it literally made my jaw drop on what i would be paying for that car in 7 years. A friend mentioned the upside down car loan and how it works and i just cant accept being in that. Knowing you owe more on a car than its really worth.

Its the look of the car and how its worn off by now, but mostly just the fact that im [censored] off having to drop so much money into this outdated car in struts, ball joints, bushings, etc. All because of the cars age! Thats the prime reason! You buy and use old clunkers you have to deal with replacing bushings and [censored].

I know age isnt everything, but it seems car buyers now, they just want something new to use for a few years until it needs big repairs like timing belt, bushings, then sell and buy new one and repeat. Most just want to keep the maintenance to minmium like just do oil changes and get by with that. They figure why bother with big repairs when they can just dump it and get new car.

Sometimes i like my cars looks (like at night, when it can barely be seen!), but in the summers after i wash my car and give ita nice wax and polish and detail, i actually say to myself "its not that bad looking of a car afterall". I know its not a terrible or ugly looking car, it just is outdated and blah. Even though car has no rust and ive literally touched up every single minor paint chip on it and is in good shape 9/10. I always got compliments from mechs on how clean i keep it haha, the under carriage is literally spotless, no rust or not much dirt....washing the under carriage every 1-2 weeks pays off

Last edited:
Sounds like it's in good shape, and you keep saying "outdated" rather than "old" at this point. "Outdated" is meaningless in terms of practicality and functionality, just a styling thing. I think the best way to cure yourself of this might be to find something else to focus on
smile.gif

You have bigger problems then a new car, your 31 and live with your mother. My God!!!! thats what you should be embarrassed about, a new car should be the last thing on your list of priorities especially that ***** Subie. Go out into the world and try to make something of yourself, you have a lot (10 years) of catching up to do

Let's see... First you rant that your not happy and can't get any. Then you tell is that your 31, living w mom and can't hold a job. Now your wanting to burdon mom even more bcs now you want a new car to keep up w your friends and you can't even hold a job to pay for it? Such a tool..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back